X-Men: Apocalypse movie (2016)

No, I wouldn't say that looks really bad (if it's even what he will actually look like). It does look like Apocalypse. Face wise, anyways.

[video=youtube_share;Y2ZmnmmUQ6E]https://youtu.be/Y2ZmnmmUQ6E[/video]

Love how Quicksilver is wearing a Rush shirt. And for as long as I've been waiting to see a live action Archangel, I'm kinda disappointed in his overall look except the metal wings.

[video=youtube_share;Y2ZmnmmUQ6E]https://youtu.be/Y2ZmnmmUQ6E[/video]

Sigh. Many of you know I'm a Christian and that it's important to me. So I really hate the references to Apocalypse being the reason that primitive humans invented God. The line when he says he's been called Yahweh is a huge problem and will be for a lot of people. Another problematic line is Moira's statement that the Bible may have gotten it's imagery of the four horsemen of the apocalypse from him rather than the other way around.

I don't know what I was expecting. If people believe God is an invention, then why not invoke the Name of God as a reference to how powerful Apocalypse really is? I can't really be outraged or offended. For me, this isn't about them respecting my beliefs, as if my pride is hurt because these lines in a movie make God less real. It doesn't really matter if people respect my beliefs and reject God anyway. I am sad that people reject and make light of God, but that happens all the time. The real issue for me is that I don't think I can support a movie that craps on God like this. It's sad because I love Marvel movies and I want to be able to enjoy this movie. But I love God more.

As a side note, I'm sure lots of people will be outraged. And not just Christians, a lot of devout Jewish people don't even say the name Yahweh out of respect for the name of God, and this trailer just claimed that Yahweh was an invention because people couldn't understand this mutant thousands of years ago.

As another side note, I wonder if they are actually going to explore how these claims of Apocalypse affect Nightcrawler, who has always been the most overtly Christian character in the Marvel universe. I didn't think they did a great job of showing that aspect of him in X2.

This looks really bad. The action looks bad, the acting looks terrible, the sets look dull and uninspired, the costumes are bland, the plot is boring (BKV and Nick Spencer's runs on Ultimate X-Men is the only time I've ever found Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse interesting anway), and the whole thing just doesn't look good.

Last edited:
Sigh. Many of you know I'm a Christian and that it's important to me. So I really hate the references to Apocalypse being the reason that primitive humans invented God. The line when he says he's been called Yahweh is a huge problem and will be for a lot of people. Another problematic line is Moira's statement that the Bible may have gotten it's imagery of the four horsemen of the apocalypse from him rather than the other way around.

I don't know what I was expecting. If people believe God is an invention, then why not invoke the Name of God as a reference to how powerful Apocalypse really is? I can't really be outraged or offended. For me, this isn't about them respecting my beliefs, as if my pride is hurt because these lines in a movie make God less real. It doesn't really matter if people respect my beliefs and reject God anyway. I am sad that people reject and make light of God, but that happens all the time. The real issue for me is that I don't think I can support a movie that craps on God like this. It's sad because I love Marvel movies and I want to be able to enjoy this movie. But I love God more.

As a side note, I'm sure lots of people will be outraged. And not just Christians, a lot of devout Jewish people don't even say the name Yahweh out of respect for the name of God, and this trailer just claimed that Yahweh was an invention because people couldn't understand this mutant thousands of years ago.

As another side note, I wonder if they are actually going to explore how these claims of Apocalypse affect Nightcrawler, who has always been the most overtly Christian character in the Marvel universe. I didn't think they did a great job of showing that aspect of him in X2.

I'm a Christian as well, but this doesn't bother me. I can separate my beliefs from fictional work (to a certain degree).

I don't mean that you should as well, though, don't get me wrong.

Last edited:
12376747_504108893090428_7853164085527020584_n.jpg

I'm a Christian as well, but this doesn't bother me. I can separate my beliefs from fictional work (to a certain degree).

I don't mean that you should as well, though, don't get me wrong.

(I really hope you read this in the tone of sincerity and friendly conversation and not attacking or anything): If someone made a movie that badmouthed your mom, would it be hard for you to watch? Is there a difference?

EDIT: The thoughts in this article are similar to what I've been hoping when I'm feeling more optimistic.

That's a sweet poster.

Last edited:
(I really hope you read this in the tone of sincerity and friendly conversation and not attacking or anything): If someone made a movie that badmouthed your mom, would it be hard for you to watch? Is there a difference?
If someone made a movie like that, sure, it'd be hard to watch- in fact I probably wouldn't even watch it at all. But the way I see it, this movie isn't "badmouthing" any faith, or at least, that's not its intention nor what it's about. It's when that is made as the point of a movie (or book, etc.) is when I don't bother with it because I don't agree with it or would feel offended. The X-Men movie isn't going "Hey, this is what we actually believe, this is fact, so you're all wrong." It's more of a... tool, for the lack of a better word, used for the character/story. And sure, you can't still disagree with it, it's yours and anyones prerogative, but again, that's just how it is for me.

I was underwhelmed.

Feel like the trailer should've played up the '80's setting more. Apocalypse wasn't presented as the threat he really should've been. I didn't feel any weight or suspense despite their attempts to convey that. It just falls flat.

And I actually agree with wyo, the performances seem phoned in.

Also, why did they give Archangel the same haircut as Storm? Storm should have it, Archangel should full on have the horrible longish blonde hair, the same style he had in comics and cartoon from early '90's. That faux hawk look sucks.

I'll probably check it out on DVD.

Last edited:

That was actually the most interesting part of the trailer for me; the rest of it was pretty lacklustre.

Has that idea ever been brought up in the comics?

Last edited:
But the way I see it, this movie isn't "badmouthing" any faith

That's the way I see it too. I would assume that most people do. Fundamentalists by nature of their beliefs do not support that kind of integration, if you will, with their beliefs, so the makers of the movie would be naive not to expect some kind of backlash, major or minor.

It seems like every day there is news relating to this movie popping up in Twitter accompanied by a shot of Apocalypse, and I cannot believe how incredibly stupid he looks.

Latest posts

Back