X-Men: First Class discussion (spoilers!)

How would you rate X-Men: First Class?

• Total voters
There's a difference between reading your lines like you don't care about anyone else and reading your lines like you don't care about the movie.

Jeri Ryan should've been White Queen.

This film was great because it embraced some of the goofier, sillier things about the mutants. They didn't try to cloak them in a veneer of 'Ultimateness,' they just said "Okay this dude creates power rings of destruction, this guy uses the force of his scream to FLY! GO!")

I was disappointed that Beast was not more awesome. Nicholas Hoult was a great choice to play Hank McCoy, giving him a lot of pathos and angst tempered with cute aw shucks charm, but then after he became all blue and furry, it was like "MY CHARACTER ARC IS OVER. IMMA FLY A PLANE."

So true.

Was anyone else put off by the complete lack of smoking in the film? It was set in the early 60s and there should have been plumes of cigarette and cigar smoke in every scene and there was nothing. Usually the villains will at least be seen doing it.

I think Wolverine might have been the only person who smoked in the whole film and even then, there's a possibility his cigar wasn't even lit.

This is going to be even more annoying in the Captain America movie.

I didn't even notice.

This film was great because it embraced some of the goofier, sillier things about the mutants. They didn't try to cloak them in a veneer of 'Ultimateness,' they just said "Okay this dude creates power rings of destruction, this guy uses the force of his scream to FLY! GO!")
I usually love 'Ultimateness' but it's great that this film shows you can do the goofy aspects if you just do it right.

I was disappointed that Beast was not more awesome. Nicholas Hoult was a great choice to play Hank McCoy, giving him a lot of pathos and angst tempered with cute aw shucks charm, but then after he became all blue and furry, it was like "MY CHARACTER ARC IS OVER. IMMA FLY A PLANE."
Yeah something about his make up was just off, the face gave almost no expression and his voice didn't fit, it was just off.

I didn't even notice.
Neither did I, and when Captain America comes around I bet I won't notice either.

Also, Rose Byrne. Not aging well.

She's only 31...personally I think she still looks good, though haven't seen her in this movie yet. Maybe the haggardness is intentional to make her seem more Scottish?

And from now on, I will only refer to X-Men's First Class Beast as "Blue Kilrathi is Blue."

Wing Commander reference FTW!

Boy, do I ever disagree. Bridesmaids a few weeks ago was actually the first time I've found her all that hot, and even more so in First Class.

Ah, see, there you go.

Nope. I thought she looked kind of sick and gross in First Class. That scene where she took all of her clothes off was kind of unsettling.

Eh?

She's only 31...personally I think she still looks good, though haven't seen her in this movie yet. Maybe the haggardness is intentional to make her seem more Scottish?

She looks absolutely fine. Better than January Jones.

I'm so proud being the only guy on this site giving this 5 stars. There's gotta be someone out there thinking they gave a better review to a much worse movie and should give this the way thumbs up. Come on. The Dark Knight had thugs coming out of no where like a video game. Where are you?

I'm so proud being the only guy on this site giving this 5 stars. There's gotta be someone out there thinking they gave a better review to a much worse movie and should give this the way thumbs up. Come on. The Dark Knight had thugs coming out of no where like a video game. Where are you?

The movie wasn't that good.

Last edited:

For what it's worth, I'd really give it a 4.5.

Was anyone else put off by the complete lack of smoking in the film? It was set in the early 60s and there should have been plumes of cigarette and cigar smoke in every scene and there was nothing. Usually the villains will at least be seen doing it.

I think Wolverine might have been the only person who smoked in the whole film and even then, there's a possibility his cigar wasn't even lit.
You've been watching too much Mad Men.

First of all, half the movie was set in federal buildings, which probably had a few smoking restrictions even at the height of smoke-aphilia.

I agree. It was very entertaining, and I think the best X-Men movie to date, but it wasn't as good as THE DARK KNIGHT.

Yeah, but almost nothing is going to be as good as the Dark Knight, in terms of comic book movies, that bar would be very hard to meet and frankly its a story that only works with Batman. Its like comparing every crime movie with the Godfather, almost no crime movie as good as the Godfather, so comparing them that seems counter productive.

Yeah, but almost nothing is going to be as good as the Dark Knight, in terms of comic book movies, that bar would be very hard to meet and frankly its a story that only works with Batman. Its like comparing every crime movie with the Godfather, almost no crime movie as good as the Godfather, so comparing them that seems counter productive.
That's because you're comparing stories. Too specific. Scale back a little to how the story is done, how it was written and all that.

But I didn't compare them. MWOF did.

I just copied MWoF's response from the Super 8 thread.

You said "it wasn't as good as THE DARK KNIGHT." therefore you did compare them to counter MWoF's opinion.

Right. But then why does the Overlord tell me that I shouldn't be bringing it up when I didn't bring it up? Surely he should be quoting MWOF and responding to him, not me. And I was the third person to respond.

I know I'm the nexus and everyone hangs on my every word, but sometimes it would be nice to not be told how importantly awesome I am to every discussion we have here. ;)

I'm gonna clear this up right now The Dark Knight was a 5 star movie and a better 5 star movie than X-Men: First Class (which is also a 5 star movie IMO [and apparently only my opinion])

And Project why did you copy my post?

Am I getting it right that everyone here just believes that The Dark Knight was so great nothing can get a 5 star rating now? Or am I being ignorant and not looking at the rating trend and not realizing you guys don't give 5 star ratings?

Latest posts

Back