X-Men: First Class discussion (spoilers!)

How would you rate X-Men: First Class?

• Total voters
Re: X-Men: First Class Movie (Spoilers)

Just got back from seeing it and it was so much better than expected. I had no high hopes or anything seeing as the movie was rushed to be put out. But even so, it was very enjoyable and Wolverine's cameo was awesome and hilarious.

I didn't really like the dialogue between young Xavier/Mystique. A bit cringe-worthy, IMO. In fact, the scenes with just two were kind of "eh" and could've been a lot better. But seeing Charles hit on women was funny. Especially when he did it drunk on Moira.

I'll add more later, but overall: 3.5/5

Re: X-Men: First Class Movie (Spoiler Alert!)

I thought the film had potential but ultimately it was kind of silly. You could tell it had been rushed. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were great but the rest of the film was all over the place.

Three stars.

I thought it was excellent and I really couldn't tell at all that it was a rushed movie other than the fact that it was difficult at times to buy the fact that the movie was set in the 60s.

Other than the epic finale, I actually thought most of the movie looked and felt more like a really good X-Men TV show. The scenes and the action were low-key and more character based.

Some of the fanservice towards the end was ridiculous, especially considering how great the nods to the other films were. "I can't feel my legs!!" was one. "Not G-Men...X-MEN!!" was another. These seemed like they might have been forced in at an executive level.

All in all though, I thought the film was excellent. Maybe the best X-Men film since the first one.

Things I liked
-Magneto (pretty much all of him, except his speech on the beach felt off.
-Beast (including his relationship with Mystique)
-Banshee & Havok
-The Settings
-Rose Byrne
-Azreal and Riptide
-Magneto's Coin and Knife return
-Wolverine

Things I disliked
-Emma Frost
-2 Bald Jokes
-Shaw's Plan

Things I hated
-Shaw having Magnetos helmet
--Killing Darwin

things I was unsure about
-Xavier
-Kevin Bacon

McAvoy, Fassbender, and Bacon were great. The first portion of the film was pretty good, especially the parts with Magneto hunting Nazis. It's a shame they couldn't have made this the Magneto origin movie. Xavier and Mystique was kind of off-putting. Mystique in general was just meh. When she transformed into Rebecca Romijn, that didn't make sense at all. How did she know what her older form was going to look like? Darwin was a pointless character. There were a lot of unintentionally funny moments. The one that really stands out is Beast in his blue form. That made me laugh pretty hard. It doesn't make sense that they don't just reboot the franchise because both Shaw and McCoy make a cameo together in X2.

Loved it.

Magneto was a fantastic character, easily on a par with McKellen's performance. The number of sheer badass moments he had were awesome as well, from crushing the helmets to the barbed wire moment. He really played Magneto well.

Wolverine's cameo was HILARIOUS.

McAvoy, Fassbender, and Bacon were great. The first portion of the film was pretty good, especially the parts with Magneto hunting Nazis. It's a shame they couldn't have made this the Magneto origin movie. Xavier and Mystique was kind of off-putting. Mystique in general was just meh. When she transformed into Rebecca Romijn, that didn't make sense at all. How did she know what her older form was going to look like? Darwin was a pointless character. There were a lot of unintentionally funny moments. The one that really stands out is Beast in his blue form. That made me laugh pretty hard. It doesn't make sense that they don't just reboot the franchise because both Shaw and McCoy make a cameo together in X2.

Shaw and McCoy appeared in a small cameo in X2 that most people didn't even notice, it doesn't make sense that easter egg that most people didn't notice would prevent them from appearing in this film. I'm sick of reboots anyway.

Things I hated
-Shaw having Magnetos helmet
--Killing Darwin
I thought the introduction of the helmut was pretty cool. Shaw being the first of the experts on mutants I thought it was appropriate that he was the more adapt at defending himself against the various kinds especially since he had his own telepath on his team.

I'm probably jumping the gun but I was pretty excited when Darwin actually died because I'm hoping he somehow returns in a sequel givin his mutation. I mean it might be ridiculous but if anyone should survive death it should be the survivor and I think him showing up later rather than sooner would help explain his mutation needs time to work in extreme cases rather than just instant adaption all of the time. But regardless that death scene was pretty cool to me.

things I was unsure about
-Xavier
-Kevin Bacon

What was unsure about Xavier? Acting was good. I thought we got a decent look at a younger Charles than the older wiser leader we're accustomed too.

Kevin Bacon surprised me the most. It's not like I have something against him but I mean it's Kevin Bacon and I like to take my comic book genre movies serious and I was scared a bit but I thought he played a role pretty damn well here. All of the actors I felt had to be a bit cheesy at some point because of the time period but when it came down to it I thought they all did a really good job. Except Zoe Kravitz and Janurary Jones. (And Banshee's twisted expression bother me and made me laugh)

On another note. I'm sick of reboots too and it's completely Singer's fault when he left X-Men 3 but if he can start new with this and rebuild the franchise I vote let him ignore his other two good films and start over. Singer and Vaughan should never leave this franchise.

and Janurary Jones.

I have heard a lot of people disliking her performance, but I thought she did Emma Frost well. The cold, uncaring ice queen Emma. The way she spoke, the way she acted was as if she didn't care about anyone else but herself. With is how it should be, full of arrogance and disinterest.

I thought they managed it quite well.

To be fair I ignore anything from Wolverine anyway so any continuity issues there I couldn't give a **** about.

I thought they managed it quite well.

To be fair I ignore anything from Wolverine anyway so any continuity issues there I couldn't give a **** about.

There are enough continuity issues with this movie and the first two X-Men films. Xavier said in the first movie that Magneto helped him build Cerebro, when in this film NEITHER of them had any involvement whatsoever with the construction of Cerebro.

I have heard a lot of people disliking her performance, but I thought she did Emma Frost well. The cold, uncaring ice queen Emma. The way she spoke, the way she acted was as if she didn't care about anyone else but herself. With is how it should be, full of arrogance and disinterest.

I think people wanted the campy Emma that people like Bendis and Whedon write. Even Morrison's refresh of Emma was a bit on the camp side. That said, I found Emma to be a bit dull, I think she could have been a great counter to Shaw, but they pretty much wanted it to be The Shaw Show.

I liked it, I wish they'd had the balls to admit this is a reboot.

3.5/5

I can agree with that.
Jaggyd said:
That said, I found Emma to be a bit dull, I think she could have been a great counter to Shaw, but they pretty much wanted it to be The Shaw Show.
That's more like how I felt. I don't have a lot of experience with her but I thought she should be more of a co-leader than Shaw's pet.

Loved it. Magneto, Xavier and their relationship and development was all great. Loved Wolverine's surprise cameo, and Romijn's. Loved the opening recreation and continuation of the Auschwitz opening from X1. Bacon was a powerful villain who won't soon be forgotten. The young Erik blowout seen was really corny and I was worried it was gonna be another Wolverine, but it rapidly turned into something on par with a great Bond film. All the 60s mod-ish stuff(and I disagree about it being in short supply) was also so much fun. 9/10, best X-film after X2. It didn't feel rushed to me.

And thank God it wasn't a reboot.

And thank God it wasn't a reboot.

I'm actually curious to why people are wanting this to not be a reboot. Because if it is canon, it creates Star Wars Episodes 1-3 level continuity issues.

The annoying is it's trying to be a prequel and a reboot but it's neither of them.

The continuity issues are not what made the Star Wars prequels a failure, and the success of this film continues to prove that. There's gonna be inconsistencies for sure, even if you disregard Wolverine Origins, but the connections between First Class and the glory days of the X-films and the knowledge that they're all part of the same story makes it that much more epic and emotional an experience for me. Furthermore, the refusal to reboot means we could actually get an X4 someday, maybe even with Singer helming it. That's something I've needed for a long time.

Latest posts

Back