X-Men: Manifest Destiny (Spoilers)

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
News from Wizard Philly, Newsarama interviews Editor Nick Lowe on the next story arc, "Manifest Destiny", which is said to be like "Divided We Stand".

Yesterday, at the Mondo Marvel panel at Wizard World Philidelphia—Marvel announced the next story arc involving the X-Men will be titled Manifest Destiny. Details are sketchy at the moment; but, similar to the Divided We Stand arc which crossed through the X-line, Manifest Destiny will cross through the core books, touching upon various mutant characters of the Marvel Universe in different ways. Further, Marvel will be releasing X-Men: Manifest Destiny, a four issue mini-series which boasts a hefty list of creators.

But the best part:

NRAMA: Fair enough. Nick, who will be some of the key players featured in the X-Men: Manifest Destiny mini-series?

Nick Lowe: X-Men: Manifest Destiny will be structured somewhat like X-Men: Divided We Stand with one key difference—There will be one story that has chapters in each issue. That story centers around one of the first X-Men, Iceman. Other characters are Karma, Colossus, Mercury…

:rockon:

Re: X-Men: Manifest Destiny

And we care less about your caring- or the lack thereof.

I think it's a valid point though.

I mean, it's cool that the X-Men are moving to San Francisco. It's a good place for them, and I'm really interested in Warren Ellis writing the Astonishing crew in their new HQ. But why does everything with the X-Men have to be an event?

I wasn't serious by that.

Well, half-serious, anyways.

But saying "Do not care" is not a point.

I mean, it's cool that the X-Men are moving to San Francisco. It's a good place for them, and I'm really interested in Warren Ellis writing the Astonishing crew in their new HQ. But why does everything with the X-Men have to be an event?
It's not an actual event, but it's treated almost as such to gain readers. Not much has been done with the X-Men just in their line of books in a very long time.

Last edited:

Exactly. They're just moving. It doesn't require it's own mini-series when it could very easily be handled within the damn books. This is just another cash grab.

6 months ago I was reading almost everything with an X on the cover, but because of all the events and crossovers and revamps the only one I can still stomach is X-Factor. And it's nowhere near as entertaining since they stranded Layla in the future.

Exactly. They're just moving. It doesn't require it's own mini-series when it could very easily be handled within the damn books. This is just another cash grab.

6 .

You say it like cash grabing is a bad thing.

Really, i don't see the problem.

Last edited:
Oh please. People always say this when it comes to mini-series or one-shots. There's already a story they have set that will go on during the book, this is to 'accompany it', and they can't just have it in the books, so it's why it was made into a mini.

And saying the excuse of "cash grabbing" is the lamest and weakest ****ing excuse every person ALWAYS brings up when they don't like something that's coming up. :roll:

Last edited:

Oh please. People always say this when it comes to mini-series or one-shots. There's already a story they have set that will go on during the book, this is to 'accompany it', and they can't just have it in the books, so it's why it was made into a mini.

And saying the excuse of "cash grabbing" is the lamest and weakest ****ing excuse every person ALWAYS brings up when they don't like something that's coming up. :roll:
How is it an excuse? What am I excusing? If you're going to :roll: at least write a sentence that makes sense in front of it.

How is it an excuse? What am I excusing? If you're going to :roll: at least write a sentence that makes sense in front of it.
It makes sense, whether you choose to be believe it or not.

The problem is, every time any person doesn't like something that any company is doing (for example, you and this mini) they bring up the excuse of "It's just for money's sake" because they have nothing else to do but put uneeded blame for their own amusement or whatever reason they make themself to believe.

It makes sense, whether you choose to be believe it or not.

The problem is, every time any person doesn't like something that any company is doing (for example, you and this mini) they bring up the excuse of "It's just for money's sake" because they have nothing else to do but put uneeded blame for their own amusement or whatever reason they make themself to believe.
It's a complaint. Not an excuse. Excuse would mean that I was in some way obligated to buy the book, but was trying to find reasons not to read it. I don't need an excuse. I think the X-Men books suck right now. I think this is a senseless cash grab. These are my opinions, not excuses. I'm just as entitled to my opinions as you are to think the opposite. So stop badgering me for disagreeing with you.

It's a complaint. Not an excuse. Excuse would mean that I was in some way obligated to buy the book, but was trying to find reasons not to read it. I don't need an excuse. I think the X-Men books suck right now. I think this is a senseless cash grab. These are my opinions, not excuses. I'm just as entitled to my opinions as you are to think the opposite. So stop badgering me for disagreeing with you.
I was not, and am not badgering you. Notice what I said is something the people (please notice that this is a plural of a single person, meaning not just you, ZOMG!). Also, I have never once mentioned that you can't think that the X-Men books suck for you, that you can't have an opinion. I never once said you're not allowed to say anything. What I am talking about is WHAT you said, and WHY people say it, not that "McCheese, I do not allow you to say such things!"

I'm not trying to stop you from saying anything, so please pay attention carefully, thanks. You are more than completely entitled to your opinions, which by the way, this whole talk was never about opinions in the first place.

What you said is as much as an excuse as a complaint. And on the excuse side, I think it's idiotic and stupid when people say it because plenty of other people have said that minis don't need to happen (these kinds of minis, not wide crossovers), and they can happen in the respective books. But the reason they exist is to accompany the current storyline of the respective books as to not cram the whole thing in the series. That's why Manifest Destiny is happening. It's to accompany the storyline that will start in Uncanny X-Men #500 and onwards, and the other books when they begin their part.

I was not, and am not badgering you. Notice what I said is something the people (please notice that this is a plural of a single person, meaning not just you, ZOMG!). Also, I have never once mentioned that you can't think that the X-Men books suck for you, that you can't have an opinion. I never once said you're not allowed to say anything. What I am talking about is WHAT you said, and WHY people say it, not that "McCheese, I do not allow you to say such things!"

I'm not trying to stop you from saying anything, so please pay attention carefully, thanks. You are more than completely entitled to your opinions, which by the way, this whole talk was never about opinions in the first place.

What you said is as much as an excuse as a complaint. And on the excuse side, I think it's idiotic and stupid when people say it because plenty of other people have said that minis don't need to happen (these kinds of minis, not wide crossovers), and they can happen in the respective books. But the reason they exist is to accompany the current storyline of the respective books as to not cram the whole thing in the series. That's why Manifest Destiny is happening. It's to accompany the storyline that will start in Uncanny X-Men #500 and onwards, and the other books when they begin their part.

Except, these books have a history of being terrible and superfluous. Every story, every every every story should be able to stand on its own merit, and these kind of tie-ins rarely do. And the fact that this is modeled on Divided We Stand makes me less likely to think it's worthwhile. "These are some things other people happen to be doing while this is going on elsewhere" isn't an excuse for a book.

Except, these books have a history of being terrible and superfluous. Every story, every every every story should be able to stand on its own merit, and these kind of tie-ins rarely do. And the fact that this is modeled on Divided We Stand makes me less likely to think it's worthwhile. "These are some things other people happen to be doing while this is going on elsewhere" isn't an excuse for a book.

I kinda agree

Divided we stand has been a snore-fest for the most-part, especially after the high octane Messiah CompleX

they took all the momentum they gained from MC and slammed on the brakes, to start everything over again

There's only two things from DWS that I like are, X-Men: Legacy, and X-Force (I know, I'm shocked to but it's really cool)

Last edited:

Barely any story these days stand on their own, as much as Marvel claims. It's not just with the X-Men or Marvel, it's all comic book wide. It's barely done anymore.

But like I said, this is to accompany the story arc after DWS. It's not continuing anything from the books, so they are standing on its own.

The only books by Marvel standing on their own right now is Iron Fist, and Daredevil..and I guess Thor

as far as I can tell, every other one has tied into HoM/CW/WWH/Initiative/Annihilation/Decimation/Dissasembled/Aftersmash/Conquest/Back In Black/OMD/BND/Messiah Complex/DWS/Secret Invasion, or will be tieing into an event soon

Cover to #1:

XMENMD001COV.jpg

Latest posts

Back