Y The Last Man: Movie news.

Any recent news on this movie? I'm looking forward to it, especially now that the series has only 1 issue left!
Almost no news right now, other than the usual "D.J. Caruso directs" and that The Beef is rumored.

If something comes up, I'll be sure to post here, as I'm watching it very closely on the Hollywood Stock Exchange.

Some Y news:

Caruso Talks Y

DJ Caruso, currently filming EAGLE EYE with BFF Shia LaBeouf, recently took some time out to talk about his plans for the feature film adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan's Y: THE LAST MAN. Caruso told USA Today that his original plan was to try to fit the entire storyline into one feature. But now he's realizing that would be too ambitious so he's instead planning a trilogy (and that's not ambitious?!). The first installment would follow the first 14 of the books with any potential sequels to make up the following 46 in the series. Admitting what we assumed, Caruso says he's had "preliminary discussions" with LaBeouf to star as Yorick, the last male on Earth. Says Caruso of his ideas for an adaptation:

"For me, thematically, the most important thing and the reason I want to do this is … I don't want to say it's the end of the innocence, but it's actually a man-child who has to become a real man now."

A man-child who is forced to grow up? That sounds like THE MIKE SAMPSON STORY if you ask me, 'cept I'm fighting this growing up nonsense tooth and nail. No word on whether THE LAST MAN would be the next project for Caruso and LaBeouf (surely the next Scorsese/DiCaprio). The final installment in the "Y: The Last Man" comic series goes on sale tomorrow and Vaughan has said there will be no spinoffs or sequels. Except in Hollywood.

I've been thinking for a while that this needs to be a trilogy.

Movie 1: "Unmanned", basically in it's entirety. "Cycles" could mostly be cut, except for the confrontation with the Amazons. (Which would actually work better at the end of the movie.) "One Small Step" could be used for the second half of the movie.

Movie 2: Skip "Safeword" begin with the crew getting to San Francisco, have Yorick recount the "Widow's Pass" story to Beth and then move on to "Ring of Truth". Have them head to Japan, skip most of "Girl on Girl" and end the movie with "Paper Dolls".

Movie 3: "Kimono Dragons", "Motherland", and "Whys and Wherefores".

All with the flashbacks for the various characters cut in.

And the movies could be titled like the "Bourne" movies: "The Last Man", "The Last ____", "The Last ____".

CBR:

According to UGO's movie blog, Shia Lebeouf is not confirmed as Yorick Brown, and producer JC Spink wants singer Alicia Keys to play Culper Ring agent 355. "I think Alicia Keys would be fantastic," Spink said. "Or Zoe Saldana. By then 'Star Trek' will be out and she'll be huge. I don't think Jada Pinkett Smith would be right but a lot of people like her. The truth is that it is up to DJ Caruso and the studio ... but mostly DJ. I just make suggestions. But please post this to your site to see if you can get people campaigning."

Alicia Keys as 355? NO! That's so stupid. Ugh. I don't know if Jada Smith would work better, but compared to Keys, she's leagues better.

Last edited:
CBR:

According to UGO's movie blog, Shia Lebeouf is not confirmed as Yorick Brown, and producer JC Spink wants singer Alicia Keys to play Culper Ring agent 355. "I think Alicia Keys would be fantastic," Spink said. "Or Zoe Saldana. By then 'Star Trek' will be out and she'll be huge. I don't think Jada Pinkett Smith would be right but a lot of people like her. The truth is that it is up to DJ Caruso and the studio ... but mostly DJ. I just make suggestions. But please post this to your site to see if you can get people campaigning."

Alicia Keys as 355? NO! That's so stupid. Ugh. I don't know if Jada Smith would work better, but compared to Keys, she's leagues better.

Alicia Keys? You have to be kidding me. Even Jada Pinkett Smith is a poor choice. I'd prefer more of a no-name who actually has acting chops, though I know the studios feel compelled to make ****ty casting choices like this to bring in key teen demographics...I guess? Why else would anyone want to cast Alicia Keys? That guy JC Spink is an idiot.

CBR:

Director DJ Caruso told FirstShowing.net how things are proceeding on the Vertigo adaptation. "I turned in the script last week, about five days ago," Caruso said. "I actually have the notes. It got turned into New Line. Things have changed. I don't know if you know, but New Line barely exists anymore. So now, New Line is going to work on it and Warner Brothers wants to make the movie. They obviously are excited that Shia is interested in making the movie, being Yorick Brown and all that stuff. But, it's my job to get the script right first. Then once we get the script right, which we're getting close, then it could potentially be the next movie. Warner Brothers is light on movies for 2010. They're pushing hard to get it going, but we gotta get the script right and we're getting close. If you know the series at all, there's a lot to choose from, but it's also -- you want to make a movie that stands alone. But I keep telling them I can't fit it all into one movie. God wiling, if it's successful enough, there has to be another movie, but we're working really hard and I would like to get that movie going."

CBR:

Sci Fi Wire has quotes from director DJ Caruso, discussing the possibility his favorite actor could play Yorick Brown. "Shia and I talk all the time, and when I feel it's right, I'll show him the script," Caruso said. "He's definitely interested. We came up with some really cool things that would enhance act three and be close to what is happening in the series of books. It was a ground-breaking idea. I know [the rewriting] is taking longer than I thought, but it's a really great project, and it's important that you focus on the story and get it right.

So, Shia LaBeouf is officially not doing "Y: The Last Man" (Woo-hoo!). Who should replace him? A lot of people on the interwebz are suggesting Bret Harrison (Reaper), and I think that's a pretty good choice. Maybe not actingwise, but he looks astonishingly like Yorick does on the cover of the Volume 1 paperback. Great pick if you ask me.

So, Shia LaBeouf is officially not doing "Y: The Last Man" (Woo-hoo!). Who should replace him? A lot of people on the interwebz are suggesting Bret Harrison (Reaper), and I think that's a pretty good choice. Maybe not actingwise, but he looks astonishingly like Yorick does on the cover of the Volume 1 paperback. Great pick if you ask me.

Called it back in 07!

Sine Shia's out, I'll nominate Anton Yelchin for Yorick. He was better than Bale and Sam Worthington in Terminator and is getting all sorts of awesome roles in Hollywood.

bactorantonyelchin4e2b9.jpg

Last edited:
CBR:

CBR's old friend, Rich Johnston laid his hands on a copy of Brian K. Vaughn's draft of the script. His review is up over at Bleeding Cool. Clearly, the spoiler warning on this is super nova. This draft is now some four years out of date, but Rich says it got him the job on lost. "This movie is not so much an adaption of the comic book," he says "Instead it's Ultimate Y The Last Man, taking all the things Brian had learned while writing the comic and applying them to its very beginning. It's more focused. Characters who grow and develop, who we first met as the comic progressed are there right at the beginning, following their own parallel lives that we only get to understand in the comic in flashback or exposition."

CBR:

CBR's old friend, Rich Johnston laid his hands on a copy of Brian K. Vaughn's draft of the script. His review is up over at Bleeding Cool. Clearly, the spoiler warning on this is super nova. This draft is now some four years out of date, but Rich says it got him the job on lost. "This movie is not so much an adaption of the comic book," he says "Instead it's Ultimate Y The Last Man, taking all the things Brian had learned while writing the comic and applying them to its very beginning. It's more focused. Characters who grow and develop, who we first met as the comic progressed are there right at the beginning, following their own parallel lives that we only get to understand in the comic in flashback or exposition."

It will absolutely break my heart if Y doesn't make it to the big screen (or at least the small screen--HBO series baby!).

CBR:

DJ Caruso tells Latino Review he's off the project. "I think the biggest problem for me was I saw it as a trilogy. I didn't think that you could take Yorick's story and put it in to a two-hour movie and do it justice. That was sort of the difference. I think that New Line, working with Warner Bros. in their new relationship, just felt reluctant thinking that we can't leave this thing open," he says. "It was like you had to convince the studio that this movie could stand alone on its own. But at the same time there would be unresolved issues ultimately with what happens to Yorick and how it all ties together. It's really tough."

Latest posts

Back