Y: The Last Man - series discussion (spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Wow... I just read issue 1 from the first trade. I have to watch smallville now so I'll get back to this. But, wow this was so good. Thanks Baxter for the recommending and to my comic shop owner and anyone else. This is definitely going to be a keeper.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Wow... I just read issue 1 from the first trade. I have to watch smallville now so I'll get back to this. But, wow this was so good. Thanks Baxter for the recommending and to my comic shop owner and anyone else. This is definitely going to be a keeper.

Sell me on it Mwof - I'm seriously considering picking this up.

How many trades are there?

UltimateE said:
Sell me on it Mwof - I'm seriously considering picking this up.

How many trades are there?

Ah hold on I'm reading issue 2 now (when I'm done posting) It'll be easy to sell you on it though. It's already such a good Concept/Story. I'll get back to you. I'm not sure how many trades there are I think I saw 6 of them but Baxter might know.

So far there are 4 trades, and the series in about to go into issue 32 I think. It's a great book, one of the few from my library that I've sent out purely to get other people to read.

Here's the pitch E, A plague sweeps over the earth, killing every single being with the Y chromasome except for Yorrick Brown and Ampersand, the helper monkey he was training. So far the series has been about searching out the causes of the plague, and hopefuly some way for humand kind to survive, and Yorricks personal search for purpose in the world, hopefuly as more than a breeder. The monthly just revealed how Yorrick survived the plague, and is about to leave america, hopefuly for Australia, where Yorricks Girlfriend was when everything went to pot.

Pick it up man., it's a marvel.

Baxter, my good friend.

Without spoiling... within the next 3 trades I have to read to catch up.

Will Yorick meet up with Hero?
Will we see any of what the girlfriend is up too?

Just invisotext yes or no answers, please.

Damn I can't believe I only bought the first trade I'm goin tomorrow and gettin the rest hopefully.... damn budget...

Also...

Baxter replied by PM. Thanks Baxter

But some more questions...

Is the reason Yorick and Ampersand survived revealed yet?
Is the cause for the plague revealed?

Or since this is only slated for 60 issues is it too early for such big revealations?

Did something big happen in issue #30?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Baxter replied by PM. Thanks Baxter

But some more questions...

Is the reason Yorick and Ampersand survived revealed yet?
Is the cause for the plague revealed?

Or since this is only slated for 60 issues is it too early for such big revealations?

Did something big happen in issue #30?
They revealed how Yorrick survived in the last arc, RIng of Truth, wich should be the next TPB released. I don't belive they've said just how the plague happened yet, but there are some pretty strong clues in how Yorrick survived.

ampersand

unmanned is a great trade, for the price it was really worth it too. I was amazed that i enjoyed a book without a cape or powers in it. Although some of you cant take vulgarity on this board, there is plenty of it in the book, but these characters are all good, and even the monkey is a riot.

Just got done with Vol. 2 and Vol. 3, "Cycles" and "One Small Step"

Very good learned who was backing the Israelies. That's one mystery down but also added a few more questions... too many to name actually :wink: . I'm gonna pick up the next trade on Wendnesday, can't wait to see what's happening. This is an awesome book. Pick it up.

I actually started on Y:The Last Man when it first came out because Vaughan pitched it on the monthly What's Up at Vertigo Page (the one that appears in every single Vertigo comic) when I was reading Vertigo Pop! London at the time as a "feminist" work even if it isn't obviously feminist.

I had to drop it though, because my comic budget was already begging on its knees. The first arc kicks off very excitingly, with a lot of intrigue, and the character moments and dialogue are great. The thing is, for me, little is resolved by the end of the first arc that it made me disappointed even though the experience was enjoyable.

But the way it really addresses a lot of points and issues within a radically altered socio-political landscape is really good, and I find that this is Vaughan's specialty, even if you're reading something as "political-lite" as Runaways instead of Ex Machina.

ourchair said:
I actually started on Y:The Last Man when it first came out because Vaughan pitched it on the monthly What's Up at Vertigo Page (the one that appears in every single Vertigo comic) when I was reading Vertigo Pop! London at the time as a "feminist" work even if it isn't obviously feminist.

I had to drop it though, because my comic budget was already begging on its knees. The first arc kicks off very excitingly, with a lot of intrigue, and the character moments and dialogue are great. The thing is, for me, little is resolved by the end of the first arc that it made me disappointed even though the experience was enjoyable.

But the way it really addresses a lot of points and issues within a radically altered socio-political landscape is really good, and I find that this is Vaughan's specialty, even if you're reading something as "political-lite" as Runaways instead of Ex Machina.
Mmmm.... Ex Machina.... That's the next Vaughan you all need to check out. There's even only one trade for it, and maybe 3 issues outside of that. Ground floor people.

I'm thinknig about getting this. But then I'm thinking about getting many things. There's too many good comics out there these days.

God... I love Y: The Last Man, but does anyone know when Volume 5 will come out, and how far ahead comic-wise are we from Volume 4's conclusion.

Vertigo Comics are my favorites.... Lucifer and Y are two that im madly in love with, and I actually argued with a teacher to get to write a paper on The Sandman for Irish/British Literature.

Dr.Strangefate said:
God... I love Y: The Last Man, but does anyone know when Volume 5 will come out, and how far ahead comic-wise are we from Volume 4's conclusion.

Vertigo Comics are my favorites.... Lucifer and Y are two that im madly in love with, and I actually argued with a teacher to get to write a paper on The Sandman for Irish/British Literature.
Well, the story arc they just finished is what's going to be collected into V5, so if you jump on right now, and pick up 5 when it comes out in June or July then you'll be all caught up.

And I wasn't kidding. Go read Ex Machina now.

Baxter said:
Mmmm.... Ex Machina.... That's the next Vaughan you all need to check out. There's even only one trade for it, and maybe 3 issues outside of that. Ground floor people.
Baxter, I'm beginning to suspect you have more diverse taste in comic books than you're letting on by participating in a discussion forum for Ultimate books. :D Just saying is all.

ourchair said:
Baxter, I'm beginning to suspect you have more diverse taste in comic books than you're letting on by participating in a discussion forum for Ultimate books. :D Just saying is all.
:wink:

ourchair said:

I've noticed it too. It's nice to have people around to recommend non-superhero books like that. :D

Latest posts

Back