Zune vs. iPod

Sacred&Profane

My old iPod (which I've had a TON of trouble with) has finally pooped out on itself, and so I'll soon be looking for a new media player. As like every other one of this sort of thread, I ask you all the same question:

Which device is more worth my $250? The 30 gb models look no different in terms of capacity or battery life, and the Zune's screen is sweet. Then again, I hear the Zune is a pain in the butt to upload songs to.

Your thoughts?

I've heard nothing but bad things from Zune. Personally, I'd go with the iPod. I'm gonna be getting one myself soon.

Hate the iPod. I seriously, really hate it. That said, all the bad press the Zune gets is completely unwarranted; it's a great player. I love mine. After my iPod crapped out on me, I went with the Zune, and I have one complaint; No one else has one. That's a pretty big problem, because a lot of the Zune's appeal comes from the ability to share music with each other...which I can't do because I'm the only guy in the universe who has one.

That's a pretty big problem, because a lot of the Zune's appeal comes from the ability to share music with each other...which I can't do because I'm the only guy in the universe who has one.

Huh. I thought it was because you had no friends.

I've got a Zen from Creative Labs and I love it. I've had a few minor problems, mainly stemming from the fact that I'm not running XP or higher on my machine, but that was pretty easily solved with a third party application.

Hate the iPod. I seriously, really hate it.

Why is that? I'm sure there is a sane, rational reason...

a lot of the Zune's appeal comes from the ability to share music with each other

There is appeal in being able to download a song from another player and listen to it 3 times before it's no good anymore?

Why is that? I'm sure there is a sane, rational reason...

Partially because of their obnoxious advertising campaign...partially because of the annoying Apple interface. Mostly though because Steve Jobbs is a ditry hippy!

There is appeal in being able to download a song from another player and listen to it 3 times before it's no good anymore?

Actually, if you think about it for a moment, the idea of song sharing is pretty cool. If the Zune sold as the way the iPod did, it would be a great feature. But I suppose I was wrong to say that it was a big feature; the Zune is a more customizable version of the iPod. It's daunting to all of the idiotic teenagers who bought the iPod; an interface that requires user computer literacy. I maintain that that's the main reason it isn't selling. The iPod holds your hand, and the Zune does not.

Last edited:
Partially because of their obnoxious advertising campaign...partially because of the annoying Apple interface. Mostly though because Steve Jobbs is a ditry hippy!

I knew it was something rational.

Actually, if you think about it for a moment, the idea of song sharing is pretty cool. If the Zune sold as the way the iPod did, it would be a great feature. But I suppose I was wrong to say that it was a big feature; the Zune is a more customizable version of the iPod. It's daunting to all of the idiotic teenagers who bought the iPod; an interface that requires user computer literacy. I maintain that that's the main reason it isn't selling. The iPod holds your hand, and the Zune does not.

The idea of sharing a song is a great idea...the idea of having an MP3 with no DRM on it expiring after 3 listens is absolutely retarded. And the idea of having wi-fi capabilities is great too...the idea of not being able to purchase songs or sync the device via wi-fi is absolutely retarded too.

As for the interface...when I'm driving in the car and looking for a song, I'm glad the interface is simple and not like trying to operate a Windows PC with my thumb.

Ah, yes. Because what's the first thing i look for in a portable device? A complicated interface.

P.S. This is Sparta. 300th post!

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get an ipod this summer. I'm thinking I'll likely get the 30GB one, but I really want the 80GB.

Don't forget to check out the refurbished iPods, they're treated as new by Apple warranty-wise, and considerably less expensive.

A 30 gig 5.5Gen (current) is $199

An 80 gig 5.5Gen (Current) is $279

S'how I got my 30 gig, that I literally take EVERYWHERE.

I bought an unoffical cheap version of ipod video on ebay the day. waiting for it to come.

It looks like a black Ipod video , same gb , easier to add music and videos , built in fm radio , games and it was like 3rd of the price.

I figured I would be a fool NOT to get it for that.

I bought an unoffical cheap version of ipod video on ebay the day. waiting for it to come.

It looks like a black Ipod video , same gb , easier to add music and videos , built in fm radio , games and it was like 3rd of the price.

I figured I would be a fool NOT to get it for that.

Wait....a 30Gb player for $80??

No offense, but it may have been foolish to buy.

Wait....a 30Gb player for $80??

No offense, but it may have been foolish to buy.

no not the 30gb one.

8GB. The one i was looking at in argos was 8gb. thats all i need. I'm getting it to watch a few episodes of say simpsons or two and a half men on the plane

no not the 30gb one.

8GB. The one i was looking at in argos was 8gb. thats all i need. I'm getting it to watch a few episodes of say simpsons or two and a half men on the plane

OHHHH!!!

Makes sense, and as much of a MacHead as I am, there are much better MP3 players out there on the 1 - 8Gb range. The nano IMHO could have been so much more.

I'm hoping to get an ipod this summer. I'm thinking I'll likely get the 30GB one, but I really want the 80GB.

Check out the refurbs Skotti posted. Two of my friends got refurbs and they work perfectly. I'm thinking about getting an 80GB refurb...it's barely more than the 30 GB new.

Also, if you can wait...rumors are circulating that there will be a new iPod introduced (or at least announced) for Christmas...full screen video with on-screen sensor-based controls on the back of the unit. It looks very cool, and would be awesome to get the videos in widescreen.

Latest posts

Back