2006 World Cup

Ice said:
It's still not good ratings here. :?

I was just using shows getting cancelled with those ratings as an example on how bad ratings like that is. :?

Again, that's for shows on major network.

2.2 millions in prime time on ABC is terrible.

2.2 millions on ESPN in the middle of the afternoon is great.

Last edited:
I just saw there was a 0-0 tie yesterday I think...I think it was Argentina & Mexico.

In all seriousness, doesn't that bother fans? That they can sit through an entire game and have it be absolutely meaningless in the end? I know Evil brought up the fact that ties happen in football and hockey, which is true, but NOT in the playoffs. And this is basically the playoffs. So how does it figure into the standings?

It just makes zero sense to me that a playoff game can end in a tie.

E said:
I just saw there was a 0-0 tie yesterday I think...I think it was Argentina & Mexico.

In all seriousness, doesn't that bother fans? That they can sit through an entire game and have it be absolutely meaningless in the end? I know Evil brought up the fact that ties happen in football and hockey, which is true, but NOT in the playoffs. And this is basically the playoffs. So how does it figure into the standings?

It just makes zero sense to me that a playoff game can end in a tie.
Well, you are basically playing for points (3 points for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss) not wins so it makes sense. Later you have to play to win and then the game CAN'T end in a tie.

E said:

It gives one point to your ranking. A tie is not meaningless at this point of the tournament. 4 team per groups, every team play each other once. Best 2 teams move on. Every points can make the difference between elimination and moving on to the next phase. In the second phase, ties are impossible.

Oh, and it can't have been Mexico VS Argentina you saw. Not in the same group. You probably mean Mexico VS Angola.

Last edited:
Which is a good result for them. This is Italia! Good team, 3 world cup, they usually make it to next phase.

USA is still alive but their fate is not entirely in their hands. Obviously they must win next match but this alone won't be enough to qualify.

Now if Italia beats the Czech and USA beats Ghana, the US are in as the standing would be :

Italia 7
US 4
Czech 3
Ghana 3

But if the Czech beats italia and US beats Ghana

Czech 6
Italia 4
US 4
Ghana 3

So even if US wins, they'll tie with Italia and it is almost certain that Italia will qualify over USA because the their current differentials between Goal scored and goal against is +2 while USA is -3 thanks to their 3-0 defeat. So USA would need to beat the other team by a lot of goal and hope Italia loses by a lot. Not likely. Italia has a tough defense and almost never allow more than 2 goals.

It's much easier for the US if Italia wins.

Amusingly, if Italia loses, they hope that the US wins. If Italia loses against the czechs and US lose against Ghana, they are both eliminated. And if Italia and US wins their next matches, they are both in. Eh.

Last edited:
Okay, admittedly this is a little late in the game to be asking this, but how exactly does the World Cup work? I was previously under the impression that it was a standard single elimination tournament. This clearly isn't the case now. I know 32 countries qualified for the World Cup, but I guess that's just the first round. I heard somewhere that it's eliminated down to the top ten, but I can't say where.

MaxwellSmart said:
Okay, admittedly this is a little late in the game to be asking this, but how exactly does the World Cup work? I was previously under the impression that it was a standard single elimination tournament. This clearly isn't the case now. I know 32 countries qualified for the World Cup, but I guess that's just the first round. I heard somewhere that it's eliminated down to the top ten, but I can't say where.

I believe the 32 teams are divided up into 8 pools, 4 in each. After a few games, 2 teams from each pool emerge. This brings a total of 16 teams, which then play each other to get down to 8, 4, 2, and then finally 1.

I could be wrong though. :)

No wonder they have higher ratings than ESPN.

---

Maxwellsmart said:
Okay, admittedly this is a little late in the game to be asking this, but how exactly does the World Cup work?

I think all has been said before in the thread but let's gather it in one place :

Before the World cup, 190 (or so) countries compete in various continental competition until 31 teams are selected. The host nation gets a free pass. (In 2002, both Japan and Korea benefitted from that free pass as they were co-hosts)

32 teams are split in 8 groups of 4.

Each 4 team in a group plays against everyone in their group once (that's 3 game for each team).

Win = 3 points
Tie = 1 points

If after those 3 games some teams are tied in points, the goal differential (Goals scored - Goals against) is used to determine ranking.

Top 2 team in each groups survive to the next phase. How good you did influence who you will face off against first.

At this point it's a standard single game elimination tournament, 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 (Exactly like the NFL I think)

Just making it to the second pase is a very big deal and from that point on there is no room for mistake. For these players, it's like going for the Super Bowl except you only get a shot at it every 4 years.

In this phase, ties are not allowed. If you tie after regular time, there is overtime and if still tied there is a shootout. Given the nature of soccer, these shootouts are highly tense.

Last edited:
E, it wasn't a 0-0 tie between Mexico and Argentina, they aren't in the same group. That would be a good game though. Argentina is friggin' sick this time around.

On the ratings:

3 oclock isn't exactly prime time, as most people work 'til 5. I work 7-3, so I happily get to watch a game a day. And we all know the US fanbase for soccer isn't big. But it's passionate, and I'd much rather have a passionate fanbase than a big one.

On the US/Italy game:

what a crazy match. personally, i wanted a tie, because I want Italy and the US to move on. I would've wanted an Italian win, since I thought the US was screwed, but then Ghana came up huuuuge. Italians played well enough, but were far too tired at the end, Lippi made his subs way too early. US played like the US when they're good: skill wise, they aren't as polished, but the fight hard and run circles around people that aren't in as good shape. The whole fitness-running game is really working well as our specific style.

ref was pretty bad, 3 redcards is absurd. i get the italian one though, can't have intentional face-elbows.

I really really hope the US beats Ghana. Because then Italy makes it either way. What scares me is that I can see Ghana beating US, and I can see Czech Republic beating Italy. I would be sooooooooooooooo pissed.

Evil, thanks for the run down, by the way. I appreciate it. Could you believe there isn't a Wikipedia page on the World Cup or at least I couldn't find it? I now no more than 90% of my friends about the world cup. I'll try and watch the next American game.

One thing that always happen where I live, is that when Brazil wins, suddenly the whole damn city become Brazilian fans. Barely anyone cares before, and after, everyone has a Brazilian flag either on their car, house or store, etc. I just see this as a bit stupid. You don't care, then you care for no reason, then you go back to not caring at all again.

Ice said:
"Prime Time" begins at 6pm.

The networks consider prime time to start at 8 PM. Most stations are running local newscasts at 6.

E said:
The networks consider prime time to start at 8 PM. Most stations are running local newscasts at 6.
Hmm. I've always seen it at 6, like in TV Guide, for example. That's where I just get it from.

Last edited:
Ice said:
Hmm. I've always seen it at 6, like in TV Guide, for example. That's where I just get it from.

A significant proportion of the population isn't even back from work at 6 PM. Most of those who are back have arrived within the last hour and haven't eaten yet.

This can't produce very juicy ratings.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
A significant proportion of the population isn't even back from work at 6 PM. Most of those who are back have arrived within the last hour and haven't eaten yet.

This can't produce very juicy ratings.
Well, that's how TV Guide always had it when you flipped the page to where it starts at 6pm. Above it said PRIME TIME.

Latest posts

Back