300 (Frank Miller) [SPOILERS]

Ultimate Gambit

Frank Miller's 300

I was just looking around on the sight and noticed an amazon add for a graphic novel called 300 written by Frank Miller. And I was wondering if anyone else knew what other books he has done like that and sin city and if anyone had read that book?

If I'm not mistaken, 300 is a graphic novel written around the events of the Battle of Thermopylae from the perspective of Leonidas of Sparta and is for the most part, influenced by the old movie 300 Spartans.

Ultimate Gambit said:
I was just looking around on the sight and noticed an amazon add for a graphic novel called 300 written by Frank Miller. And I was wondering if anyone else knew what other books he has done like that and sin city and if anyone had read that book?
Liberty and Ronin are prettu good.

Re: Frank Miller

icemastertron said:
What's it about?

Ourchair said:
If I'm not mistaken, 300 is a graphic novel written around the events of the Battle of Thermopylae from the perspective of Leonidas of Sparta and is for the most part, influenced by the old movie 300 Spartans.

:wink:

Oh, woops. I didn't read the post. Didnt see this thread before. Went straight to Bass's post. :?

I just read 300. It was pretty good.

With all the discussion on the movie, I was wondering who has read the comic.

I bought the new hardcover a few months ago and loved it...I thought it might be a chore to get through (war stories can be extremely tedious if not handled with care) but I loved it so much I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting.

I enjoyed the art...it could have done with less schlongs though.

Using 2-page spreads was cool too...I'm not sure how innovative it was but I've never read an entire series that used 2-page spreads. It makes for an awkward hardcover but it looks great.

I've read it (haven't seen the movie yet) and thought it was alright. Nothing spectacular, but a decent read.

I actually think Frank Miller's works are more suited towards the theatre, such as Sin City and 300. They just look better and more... appropriate.

I've read it (haven't seen the movie yet) and thought it was alright. Nothing spectacular, but a decent read.

I actually think Frank Miller's works are more suited towards the theatre, such as Sin City and 300. They just look better and more... appropriate.

I'm still waiting for an "All star Batman and Robin" movie. I, for one, think that the "Batman will show you nuts" line would work much better on the big screen.

With all the discussion on the movie, I was wondering who has read the comic.

I bought the new hardcover a few months ago and loved it...I thought it might be a chore to get through (war stories can be extremely tedious if not handled with care) but I loved it so much I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting.

I enjoyed the art...it could have done with less schlongs though.

Using 2-page spreads was cool too...I'm not sure how innovative it was but I've never read an entire series that used 2-page spreads. It makes for an awkward hardcover but it looks great.

The comic was pure utter bad-assness. Personally...while stroy element of it wasn't that deep---it was the art that made me love the book. Miller's use of wideshots demanded that this book be made in widescreen format.

Gotta agree there too. While my favorite is 300.....I enjoy his Sin City work more.

It put hair on my chest.

Did the same for an ex-girlfriend.

Variety is reporting that Frank Miller is also hard at work prepping a follow-up to 300 based on another mythic tale from Greek history. But good ol' Frank won't divulge details.

... I hate Hollywood.

Variety is reporting that Frank Miller is also hard at work prepping a follow-up to 300 based on another mythic tale from Greek history. But good ol' Frank won't divulge details.

... I hate Hollywood.

Hmmm, what could that be? The first thing that pops into my mind is The Anabasis. Of course, if it is that, can Miller top The Warriors?

The Illiad or the Odyssey are also possible.

Yeah, it could be. It could also be the Hellenica, the journey of the Argo, Heracles ten labors, the Gigantomachy, Cadmus, Orpheus journey through the underworld; hell, it could even be the death of Socrates or any story or myth from Greece. However, my reasons for why The Anabasis is the story he's doing, especially if it's meant to be a follow-up/pseudo-sequel to 300, are these.

1). The Anabasis involves warfare with the Persians.
2). It's a story about brave men faced with impossible odds.
3). It involves an eloquent warrior/storyteller (Xenophon himself)

and (the obvious one)

4). He can title the work 10,000 ;).

Seriously though, I don't know what it is, and I think any of the stories so far mentioned would be great.

Re: Frank Miller's 300

I think I'll look in to buying this since I loved the film

Latest posts

Back