Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. discussion (spoilers)

Wow. Very exciting news. I'm already geeked.

Re: New Live Action Marvel Show Speculation

Should be interesting to see how they approach it. Glad Whedon will be writing the pilot, and given the success of the MCU movies, hopefully ABC/Marvel Studios give the show a decent budget.

I have little doubt they will, which could be a double-edged sword. They're apparently set on starting production "immediately".

But I'm hopeful.

Zombipanda said:
I have little doubt they will, which could be a double-edged sword. They're apparently set on starting production "immediately".

But I'm hopeful.

Eh, I don't think it'll come off as rushed. It's set for a Fall 2013 premiere, so that gives them about a year to work on it. The scripting/plotting/writing is probably starting soon, with at least several months before the final pilot script is turned in. Whedon's extensive TV resume leaves me thinking that'll be enough time for him to knock out something pretty decent, as well as hopefully plot out the first season's story and character arcs. Filming shouldn't take more than a few weeks, and any needed effects (CGI) won't take long or be prohibitively costly. Depending on ABC's reaction to the pilot (again, I'd be very surprised if they passed on it) they'll probably announce a full season order early next year.

Plus, it seems Marvel is doing the smart thing by re-using sets from The Avengers (I'd hope so anyway), saving the production on set building. I'm sure additional sets will be built, but the Helicarrier stuff is already built... just needs to be reassembled on whatever studio they use (assuming they didn't completely destroy them which is unlikely).

I'm just interested to find out what characters will be focused on in the show. Obviously Sam Jackson won't be appearing (well, maybe in a cameo or two), same for Maria Hill. They could use Coulson if they set it pre-Avengers, but I think that's unlikely. From the synopsis of the Item 47 short on the Avengers Blu Ray, it could use the characters from that, or maybe even Sitwell. Or completely new characters, which is probably the most likely. If this is the case I'm wondering if they'll be established SHIELD characters from the comics, or completely new creations.

I have to admit a Mulder/Scully approach would be kind of cool, or a small ensemble cast covering various aspects (Investigations, Science, Tech, Super-Villain Prison Guards, Public Relations, etc).

There's a lot of potential the more I think about it, just looking forward to seeing what approach they take with it. And there's a lot of genres it can touch upon and use to it's storytelling potential, everything from the aforementioned police/government procedural to biological experimentation gone wrong, politics to technology. It's ripe for the pickings.

What do you think, Zombi? You've got a very analytical noggin so interested to hear your opinion on the approach you think they should take, as well as the most likely outcome.

Re: New Live Action Marvel Show Speculation

Eh, I don't think it'll come off as rushed. It's set for a Fall 2013 premiere, so that gives them about a year to work on it. The scripting/plotting/writing is probably starting soon, with at least several months before the final pilot script is turned in. Whedon's extensive TV resume leaves me thinking that'll be enough time for him to knock out something pretty decent, as well as hopefully plot out the first season's story and character arcs. Filming shouldn't take more than a few weeks, and any needed effects (CGI) won't take long or be prohibitively costly. Depending on ABC's reaction to the pilot (again, I'd be very surprised if they passed on it) they'll probably announce a full season order early next year.

Plus, it seems Marvel is doing the smart thing by re-using sets from The Avengers (I'd hope so anyway), saving the production on set building. I'm sure additional sets will be built, but the Helicarrier stuff is already built... just needs to be reassembled on whatever studio they use (assuming they didn't completely destroy them which is unlikely).

I'm just interested to find out what characters will be focused on in the show. Obviously Sam Jackson won't be appearing (well, maybe in a cameo or two), same for Maria Hill. They could use Coulson if they set it pre-Avengers, but I think that's unlikely. From the synopsis of the Item 47 short on the Avengers Blu Ray, it could use the characters from that, or maybe even Sitwell. Or completely new characters, which is probably the most likely. If this is the case I'm wondering if they'll be established SHIELD characters from the comics, or completely new creations.

I have to admit a Mulder/Scully approach would be kind of cool, or a small ensemble cast covering various aspects (Investigations, Science, Tech, Super-Villain Prison Guards, Public Relations, etc).

There's a lot of potential the more I think about it, just looking forward to seeing what approach they take with it. And there's a lot of genres it can touch upon and use to it's storytelling potential, everything from the aforementioned police/government procedural to biological experimentation gone wrong, politics to technology. It's ripe for the pickings.

What do you think, Zombi? You've got a very analytical noggin so interested to hear your opinion on the approach you think they should take, as well as the most likely outcome.

My concern with production is more that a big budget would mean closer studio control over the finished product.

I would actually bet pretty good money they'll aim for Cobie Smulders in a prominent role, either as the lead or the de facto "boss" of the lead/s. Whedon has expressed interest in her before and given her minor role in Avengers and her background in television, she would be a perfect and financially reasonable way to connect the films to the TV series. Depending on the budget, I wouldn't be surprised to see SammyJack and/or Jeremy Renner to crop up in an episode or two.

As far as the narrative goes, I'm not entirely sure. I'm picturing something episodic links in a longer narrative. Investigations into bizarre phenomenon that eventually reveal out some big bad. Hydra seems a good contender for that. Probably a male/female duo as the lead fitting the roles of investigator and ass-kicker, with a colorful supporting cast of tech dorks of various stripes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a B or C list superhero character in a supporting role. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne seem like a dynamic that would be right up Whedon's alley, but that seems unlikely since they're apparently going ahead with Edgar Wright's movie. The Avengers' apparent break with SHIELD following the first movie makes for a good rationale why they aren't crossing over with the big franchise characters, but it would be smart to link themselves tangentially to the major films. The easiest route to go would be to make a secret arms race as the core of the drama. Leaked pieces of Stark tech being reconfigured on the streets or the Winter Soldier program. Let the films be character oriented and use the more long form storytelling of television to fill in the world. It enriches the universe without either the films or the TV show being hobbled by each other. If a new character is being introduced for the second film (say, Spider-Woman, as the rumors persist) give him/her an introduction story arc leading in to the new film to prevent the sort of unintentional sidelining that happened with Widow and Hawkeye in the first movie. Beyond that, I suppose it could be a launch pad for smaller budget franchise movie characters, though I'm hesitant as to how well that would work.

I'd be interested to see how a dreamcasting round for the series would turn out.

Last edited:
Re: Marvel SHIELD TV Show news

Cobie is still attached/contracted to How I Met Your Mother, so until it's official that show is completely done, it'll be hard for her to be a regular on the show. A guest star/cameo role would work no problem, but right now not so much for a main part.

Ice said:
Cobie is still attached/contracted to How I Met Your Mother, so until it's official that show is completely done, it'll be hard for her to be a regular on the show. A guest star/cameo role would work no problem, but right now not so much for a main part.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I hope how I met your mother is close to the end. Last season sucked.

Zombipanda said:
My concern with production is more that a big budget would mean closer studio control over the finished product.

Really? I mean it makes sense from a studio standpoint, but I figure even the thickest exec would realize--after the financial and critical success of Avengers--it'd be smart to let Whedon work his magic and not try to hobble the process. Granted, he's only writing the pilot so they may not have as much trust in his writing partners and the rest of the crew, so in that sense you're probably spot on.

I would actually bet pretty good money they'll aim for Cobie Smulders in a prominent role, either as the lead or the de facto "boss" of the lead/s. Whedon has expressed interest in her before and given her minor role in Avengers and her background in television, she would be a perfect and financially reasonable way to connect the films to the TV series. Depending on the budget, I wouldn't be surprised to see SammyJack and/or Jeremy Renner to crop up in an episode or two.

As far as the narrative goes, I'm not entirely sure. I'm picturing something episodic links in a longer narrative. Investigations into bizarre phenomenon that eventually reveal out some big bad. Hydra seems a good contender for that. Probably a male/female duo as the lead fitting the roles of investigator and ass-kicker, with a colorful supporting cast of tech dorks of various stripes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a B or C list superhero character in a supporting role. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne seem like a dynamic that would be right up Whedon's alley, but that seems unlikely since they're apparently going ahead with Edgar Wright's movie. The Avengers' apparent break with SHIELD following the first movie makes for a good rationale why they aren't crossing over with the big franchise characters, but it would be smart to link themselves tangentially to the major films. The easiest route to go would be to make a secret arms race as the core of the drama. Leaked pieces of Stark tech being reconfigured on the streets or the Winter Soldier program. Let the films be character oriented and use the more long form storytelling of television to fill in the world. It enriches the universe without either the films or the TV show being hobbled by each other. If a new character is being introduced for the second film (say, Spider-Woman, as the rumors persist) give him/her an introduction story arc leading in to the new film to prevent the sort of unintentional sidelining that happened with Widow and Hawkeye in the first movie. Beyond that, I suppose it could be a launch pad for smaller budget franchise movie characters, though I'm hesitant as to how well that would work.

I'd be interested to see how a dreamcasting round for the series would turn out.

Interesting. And Spider-Woman is rumored for the sequel? I hadn't heard that.

I immediately thought X-Files when I first heard. Lighter tone maybe but perfect way to introduce and deal with the "super-power phenomenon" going public.

Interesting. And Spider-Woman is rumored for the sequel? I hadn't heard that.

I read it somewhere, though I can't recall where exactly or what the source was. Bleeding Cool, probably.

The X-Files angle makes sense to me, though Fringe strikes me as perhaps a better comparison.

Personally, I'd like to see something a little less investigation and a little more espionage. So, less X-Files, more Dollhouse or Alias.

Last edited:

Interesting. Smulders being on HIMYM doesn't affect her appearing in S.H.I.E.L.D.

Cobie Smulders, Still Agent Of SHIELD

Thee commitments to [How I Met Your Mother] don't affect it and I can't really say but there are definite talks about it… I'm very excited. I will do Maria Hill until they fire me and hire someone else to do it.

Last edited:
Ice said:
Interesting. Smulders being on HIMYM doesn't affect her appearing in S.H.I.E.L.D.

Cobie Smulders, Still Agent Of SHIELD

Thee commitments to [How I Met Your Mother] don’t affect it and I can’t really say but there are definite talks about it… I’m very excited. I will do Maria Hill until they fire me and hire someone else to do it.

Most likely because she'll just be doing occasional guest appearances, least until HIMYM finishes next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet, nice to see they've finished with the Pilot episode. That'll mean ABC's execs can look it over, suggest superficial, unnecessary, and retarded changes (Firefly, anyone? Admittedly that was Fox, but c'mon, they're all alike under the suits), and we'll see if they bring it to series. I'm pretty confident it'll get a full series order, given the success of Avengers and Joss being the new super-hero golden-boy (I hear Christopher Nolan passed the torch and freshly washed T-shirt over a nice rib dinner).

Two things, This show is now called 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Maybe we could change the title of the thread to reflect that.

Also, Marvel may or may not have released a synopsis for the pilot, including why Agent Coulson is still alive...

In the pilot, it's revealed Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), the ultimate super spy, faked Agent Coulson's death on purpose to motivate The Avengers. Some S.H.I.E.L.D. members were in on it (including, possibly, Maria Hill played by Cobie Smulders) but The Avengers were not. Their security clearance wasn't high enough. Coulson was forced to hold his breath as part of the ruse and that's a point of contention among his colleagues After the fact, Fury moved him to a remote location until things died down, and then he was reinserted into duty at the time of the show.

Source: /Film

I believe there was an official synopsis released at some point, but not the reason Coulsin still lives. That part is a rumor/speculation at the moment.

I'm skeptical of that Coulson rumor.

It's an implausible death scene to reverse by saying "Oh, he was faking it!" and Gregg's interviews have suggested that there's a mystery to how he's returned and he's fundamentally changed and coming to terms with it. The idea that he wasn't really dead after all doesn't strike me as something that would have that sort of effect. And how the hell do they plan Coulson pretending to die by getting stabbed in the chest by Loki?

My money's on Coulson being an LMD who's been implanted with a memory of faking his death or being revived on the cusp of death.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back