Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. discussion (spoilers)

As far as I know, marvel didn't promise anything. And we have to remember, as far as the potential audience for the show (and future movies) goes, those of us that have read the comics are still in the minority. My dad loved the avengers and Iron man 3, but he wouldn't know the difference between rage or Luke cage. I would guess that upwards of 80% of people who saw the avengers have never even heard of Luke cage, so why would the show runners feel the need to include him into the show when they can just invent new characters to suit their needs (and not risk pissing off fanboys with a possible poor interpretation of the character) when almost none of the audience would know that this hypothetical new character was not taken from the comics.

Personally I would like to see some callbacks to the movies and the greater marvel universe, but will not having them hamper my enjoyment of the show? As long as the storytelling is good and the characters are well developed, I will be watching. I'd rather have that then the cameo of the week.

I don't know. I mean you make good points, but I do think there's a payoff for both comic fans and casual fans by introducing lesser known Marvel characters in the show.

For the comic fans, it offers that translation from page to screen of potentially a number of characters from Marvel's library. And granted, there will be (and should be) some level of apprehension of how well that character will translate and be portrayed on screen. However, Marvel Studios has done a fantastic job with that translation in just about all respects, so I have faith they can continue that success not only in their films, but this new TV show spin-off.

And for casual fans, who probably don't read comics at all, there's the possibility of introducing them to these lesser known characters (ie non-Avengers) and possibly, just maybe, motivating them to pick up a comic book starring that character or characters. I don't know for sure, but I'd expect Marvel's sale of Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, and Avengers related titles probably got a noticeable spike in sales around the time the films came out due in part to increased interest among existing comic buyers, as well as interest from casual or non-comic buyers who enjoyed the films/characters enough to check out the medium they originated from.

Granted, that's not Marvel Studios main motivation, I'm sure, as they'll make far more from advertisements sold by ABC during the airings of that show, as well as potential related merchandise. And the show itself acts as a form of continuous advertisement for the MCU films itself, which is another helpful aspect. It's entirely possible people who've never had any interest in the MCU movies just might develop an interest after seeing and enjoying the show, which can help serve to put extra movie-goers in theater seats for future releases (Thor - The Dark World will be a great measure of that to some degree) as well as increasing DVD/Blu-ray sales of the past films.

I see your point about raising awareness with the casual viewer, and I definitely agree that it could be motivation to include more pre existing characters. To your point about how the money id going to be made: it is true that the comic book industry is never going to make as much money as the movies or even this show most likely will, and while i would love for the show to become a gateway to the greater comic book world I just dont see it happening for many people.I also don't want it to become Marvel: The police procedural and have a new marvel character pop in for an episode and promptly disappear. I have faith that will not be the case, and I would much rather have overarching season long storylines rather than a (super?) villain of the week scenario that I fear they could easily fall into if they start throwing in more and more existing characters.

On another note, I would love for SHIELD to be more about how humans live in a world with Gods and Aliens and whatever else, rather than having it be centered on super powered beings. I realize this might be a poor comparison, but I imagine it being like a Gotham Central of the marvel universe. They could bring in a powered individual here or there, but the series would be centered on these human agents trying to deal with it in their own way, rather than calling in a captain America or iron man type being to solve their problems. I read an interview with Whedon recently (can't remember where) and that seemed to be the vibe he was going for. If so I would be very happy.

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. news & discussions (spoilers)

I just don't see it as a 'pay-off', is all. I also just find it so bizarre that people are getting excited to possibly see a live-action version of a character that, if we're honest, no one actually cares about. Rage? Really?

BUT! That said, I do get all excited at the idea of Garth of Izar maybe being the villain of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, so I can hardly judge. ;)

Who the **** is Rage and why should we care?

I mean, are we excited because he's such a great character with so much potential for a mainstream adaptation or are we just excited because he's from a comic book?

I'm being serious. I don't know anything about the character except that he sounds very nineties.

Rage

He is nineties. He first appeared in The Avengers #326 (1990). He's more known for being part of the The Initiative/New Warriors.

I see your point about raising awareness with the casual viewer, and I definitely agree that it could be motivation to include more pre existing characters. To your point about how the money id going to be made: it is true that the comic book industry is never going to make as much money as the movies or even this show most likely will, and while i would love for the show to become a gateway to the greater comic book world I just dont see it happening for many people.I also don't want it to become Marvel: The police procedural and have a new marvel character pop in for an episode and promptly disappear. I have faith that will not be the case, and I would much rather have overarching season long storylines rather than a (super?) villain of the week scenario that I fear they could easily fall into if they start throwing in more and more existing characters.

Oh I definitely think there will be over-arching plot threads and characters, no doubt about that. I'm sure there'll also be a fair portion of one-offs/character of the week type episodes. I really do think in large part this show is a way for Marvel to test the waters of what does and doesn't appeal to viewers, for possible promotion to the big leagues (ie, their own solo or team film) for the more successful characters.

On another note, I would love for SHIELD to be more about how humans live in a world with Gods and Aliens and whatever else, rather than having it be centered on super powered beings. I realize this might be a poor comparison, but I imagine it being like a Gotham Central of the marvel universe. They could bring in a powered individual here or there, but the series would be centered on these human agents trying to deal with it in their own way, rather than calling in a captain America or iron man type being to solve their problems. I read an interview with Whedon recently (can't remember where) and that seemed to be the vibe he was going for. If so I would be very happy.

Completely agree. I think it's a smart approach to focus on the human element of this new super-hero laden world, how they react and compare to those god-like characters, and how they plan on evening the playing field (something that was addressed slightly with the Destroyer gun Coulson used on Loki during his "death" scene and touched on in the Item 47 One Shot).

Who the **** is Rage and why should we care?

I mean, are we excited because he's such a great character with so much potential for a mainstream adaptation or are we just excited because he's from a comic book?

I'm being serious. I don't know anything about the character except that he sounds very nineties.

Dude, he's an angry black man called Rage who possesses super-strength and speed, and ironically wears a white mask in a total kick to the nuts of the racist "black face" of the early celluloid era...which maybe isn't so ironic after all, or is completely depending on his creators' intentions of social commentary. Or maybe they just thought it looked cool? Or maybe they were trying to fashion his headwear after a zebra, just because he's African-American, which is insulting in and of itself?

But he's Rage damn it! He's Rage!

Dude, he's an angry black man called Rage who possesses super-strength and speed, and ironically wears a white mask in a total kick to the nuts of the racist "black face" of the early celluloid era...which maybe isn't so ironic after all, or is completely depending on his creators' intentions of social commentary. Or maybe they just thought it looked cool? Or maybe they were trying to fashion his headwear after a zebra, just because he's African-American, which is insulting in and of itself?

But he's Rage damn it! He's Rage!

Hey, Rage, the Department of Racial Stereotypes called.

They say it's time for you to renew your license.

So I think Maria Hill (Colbie Smulders) will appear in the Agents of SHIELD pilot, possibly as a precursor to her regularly guest appearing or even becoming a regular cast member after HIMYM ends in 2014 (which would leave her able to join as a regular cast member in season 2 of AoS).

There's some evidence in the trailer for the show that this will be the case. After the opening voice over (who I believe is Skye), with the shots of the city, the shots of Cap's shield, Thor catching his hammer, etc, and the Marvel logo, we then hear a voice ask (at about the 0:25 second mark) "What does SHIELD stand for Agent Ward?" We get his snarky reply and then "What does that mean to you?" from the woman interviewing Ward (who we conveniently never see) before Coulson walks in and introduces himself.

Listen to her voice closely. Any HIMYM fans could tell this is most likely Colbie Smulders--her voice is pretty unique, even more so in Avengers with the more hard-edged and forceful delivery she gives.

But seriously, watch the trailer again and tell me that's not her. Think we'll see Maria Hill in the pilot, likely as just a sort of cameo and likely in that scene only before Ward is passed off to Coulson.

So I think Maria Hill (Colbie Smulders) will appear in the Agents of SHIELD pilot, possibly as a precursor to her regularly guest appearing or even becoming a regular cast member after HIMYM ends in 2014 (which would leave her able to join as a regular cast member in season 2 of AoS).

There's some evidence in the trailer for the show that this will be the case. After the opening voice over (who I believe is Skye), with the shots of the city, the shots of Cap's shield, Thor catching his hammer, etc, and the Marvel logo, we then hear a voice ask (at about the 0:25 second mark) "What does SHIELD stand for Agent Ward?" We get his snarky reply and then "What does that mean to you?" from the woman interviewing Ward (who we conveniently never see) before Coulson walks in and introduces himself.

Listen to her voice closely. Any HIMYM fans could tell this is most likely Colbie Smulders--her voice is pretty unique, even more so in Avengers with the more hard-edged and forceful delivery she gives.

But seriously, watch the trailer again and tell me that's not her. Think we'll see Maria Hill in the pilot, likely as just a sort of cameo and likely in that scene only before Ward is passed off to Coulson.

Yeah, I thought it sounded like her too.

CBR:

IGN spoke with Joss Whedon about his upcoming "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." television series, where he spoke about how much Marvel interconnectivity there will be between the show, the films and the comics.

"It's not what the show is about. The show is about the six people who are in the show," Whedon told IGN. "And very week we'll meet somebody that they have to deal with. Some of those people will be very sympathetic, some of them will be evil, some will be from the Marvel canon, some will reference it -- but it's not an Easter egg hunt. It really is just about the lives of these people as they're dealing with this super-world."

I'm glad he said that - "it's not an Easter egg hunt."

It shouldn't be. Make a good show and let that stand on its own merit, not because people are watching looking for cameos from obscure characters.

I'm glad he said that - "it's not an Easter egg hunt."

It shouldn't be. Make a good show and let that stand on its own merit, not because people are watching looking for cameos from obscure characters.

Agreed. If people spend time just looking for Easter eggs, they won't be focused on the show itself.

So here's a full review of the pilot of Agents of SHIELD, which was shown at SDCC.

http://poptimal.com/2013/07/19/marvel-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-pilot-review/

Maria Hill (Colbie Smulders) IS in it as a cameo, as evidenced by the trailer, and J. August Hill's character isn't Rage or Miles Morales or Luke Cage or any of the other theories, but a guy named Michael Peterson.

The reviewer gave it a 9/10 and calls it one of the strongest pilots of the Fall season, so that's encouraging.

September 24, you can't arrive fast enough!

Latest posts

Back