Alias series discussion [Bendis/Gaydos] [spoilers]

E

Excelsior Club
I'm going against protocol to start this thread because I have nothing to say abot this series quite yet, except that I've ordered the Alias Omnibus from Amazon because it was a great deal. Cover price is $70 but Amazon has it for 37% off (plus free shipping).

Alias Omnibus
List Price: $69.99
Price: $44.09 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
You Save: $25.90 (37%)

Once upon a time, Jessica Jones was a costumed super-hero, just not a very good one. Her powers were unremarkable compared to the amazing abilities of the costumed icons that populate the Marvel Universe. In a city of Marvels, Jessica Jones never found her niche. Now a chain-smoking, self-destructive alcoholic with a mean inferiority complex, Jones is the owner and sole employee of Alias Investigations - a small, private-investigative firm specializing in super-human cases. In her inaugural arc, Jessica's life immediately becomes expendable when she uncovers the potentially explosive secret of one hero's true identity. But her wit, charm and intelligence just may help her survive through another day. Thrust into the midst of a conspiracy that reaches the highest levels, has Jessica burned too many bridges to turn to old friends for help? Plus: Jessica travels to upstate New York to investigate the disappearance of a teenage girl rumored to be a mutant in a prejudiced small town, goes on a date with the Astonishing Ant-Man, teams up with Jessica Drew, the original Spider-Woman; and confronts the demons of her past! Collects Alias #1-28, What If? Jessica Jones had Joined the Avengers.

Re: Alias (Bendis) series discussion (spoilers)

I downloaded the whole series to see if I should get this. It wasn't bad but wasn't worth 60 bucks, or 40 for that matter.

I got it for $35 so I was happy with it.

I dug the series. The conjoined bits to his Daredevil run were good (Not really a crossover per say, just diffrent sides of the door). I especialy like the runaway arc. Purple was good too, but I kept expecting something more from it, probably because of how good I'd heard it was. A solid B+. I'm more in line with this Bendis than New Avengers Bendis.

I don't care for it.

In fact, I've recently put aside a **** load of comics I'm selling, and I'm pretty sure the entire run of Alias was amongst them.

I have to get off my butt and actually catalogue all that stuff and see if anyone wants it.

Last edited:

Still waiting for mine. It hasn't even shipped yet.

I like the intro and I really liked the first arc
(Captain America as a VICTIM. How cool is that?)
I also liked the arc with the scrapbooks, where Jess is hunting a missing girl.

Bendis' trademark dialog and verbal tics work here. Jessica Jones is foul-mouthed, not always very articulate, does the "stop and start" talking thing all the time - and it works for her character and the point her life is in at that moment.

What I didn't like was the over-the-top Purple Man ending, and the fact that I never really SAW the affection between Cage and Jones (not until the last issue of The Pulse, what, 3 years later?). They SAY they like each other, but they never actually act like it.

I think the first issue is very good indeed. But the first arc ends on a stupid-*** deus ex machina like all Bendis stories.

The entire run, indeed, all of Bendis' stories are like his dialogue - starts and stops. The story starts - then it just ends out of the blue.

I finally got the Omnibus in the mail Monday and finished it last night.

I loved every second of it.

This is the best Bendis writing I've ever read. I can't say something lame like I identified with Jessica Jones, but she is one of the few comic characters who didn't feel like comic characters. I felt sorry for her when bad things happened to her, and was thrilled for her on the rare occasions when good things did happen to her.

I really enjoy stories like this that present the "other side" as Baxter said - although it was a lot more than Daredevil. The issue that flashed back to Midtown High was superb and ranks right up there with some of the best individual issues I've ever read. Great stuff, and the art was perfect for it.

The complaints I have basically echo Rhyo's - the hookup with Cage at the end of the book was abrupt...it didn't seem forced, but for all she went through with men in her life it just seemed to easy an ending. I'm not complaining against them getting together - I liked it. I just wish it was more of a gradual thing. The scene where she broke the news to Scott Lang was very good.

I really, really, really enjoyed this and will probably read it again this weekend. As much as I havne't liked Bendis's work lately, this was just great and proves that when he's in his element he is one of the best writers I've ever read anyway. I like when the writer loves his characters - you can sense it and it shows through in the stories - they are good without having to have "events" to make the book good.

A+, 10/10, and highly recommended.

Victor Von Doom said:
*Edit*

neverminds.....

It's not a discussion if people nevermind. :D

Go ahead. Did you read it? What didn't you like about it?

Actually I went all n00bish for a second and asked if this was based on the TV show instead of wikipedia'ing it myself.

It still sounds interesting...seeing as how I have no clue who Luke Cage's wife is.

Victor Von Doom said:
Actually I went all n00bish for a second and asked if this was based on the TV show instead of wikipedia'ing it myself.

It still sounds interesting...seeing as how I have no clue who Luke Cage's wife is.
I thought that too never really heard the story before today. Everytime some one mentioned it I kept thinking of the show, but I highly doubt they would of combined that with the 616

Bendis' endings are always 'too easy'.

Nah, I don't care for this comic much at all. I like Gaydos' art though.

Victor Von Doom said:

Ah, OK. I thought you censored yourself. I know you don't care for Bendis. :D

Look into it if you get a chance. It's good. I don't know what came first - Alias the comic or Alias the show, and I'm not sure why Bendis chose "Alias" (yeah, I know it's the name of her PI place).

E said:
I know you don't care for Bendis. :D

It's not that I don't care for Bendis.......the quality of his work just always seems to trail off. It's like he's got ADD or something. He starts something which turns out to be really good.....but then somewhere along the line it's like he realizes that he has to pee and goes to ride a bike or something. Then when he realizes that his project is due---he just slaps some stuff together.

USM is what got me back into comics in the first place....but I guess now that I've read so much more stuff and been exposed to so many different writers he just doesn't seem as good anymore. or that I can see him slack off in the middle of a project.

I'll admit that I never read his run on DD (which I hear was brilliant)....but I just haven't seen any REAL poignant stuff from him in a while.

But this isn't about my current disappointment with Bendis....this is about your thread on Alias. Being the open-minded person I am.....I'm gonna check out his Alias and add my 2 yen to this conversation when I have something relative to say.

Victor Von Doom said:
It's not that I don't care for Bendis.......the quality of his work just always seems to trail off. It's like he's got ADD or something. He starts something which turns out to be really good.....but then somewhere along the line it's like he realizes that he has to pee and goes to ride a bike or something. Then when he realizes that his project is due---he just slaps some stuff together.

USM is what got me back into comics in the first place....but I guess now that I've read so much more stuff and been exposed to so many different writers he just doesn't seem as good anymore. or that I can see him slack off in the middle of a project.

I'll admit that I never read his run on DD (which I hear was brilliant)....but I just haven't seen any REAL poignant stuff from him in a while.

But this isn't about my current disappointment with Bendis....this is about your thread on Alias. Being the open-minded person I am.....I'm gonna check out his Alias and add my 2 yen to this conversation when I have something relative to say.

Mate, you're spot on. It's the same for Daredevil. He builds this fantastic story arc... then just bottles out of it on #60. He does it all the time, sadly.

Victor Von Doom said:
Being the open-minded person I am.....I'm gonna check out his Alias and add my 2 yen to this conversation when I have something relative to say.

Cool...let me know what you think.

And yeah, I can see what you're saying about Bendis. Like I said, you can tell when he's really into something. He was really into Alias, and he's obviously really into New Avengers (which I love; I know others don't care for it). But Ultimate Spider-Man HAS trailed off and is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I got Alias series..... man it was wicked as.... i'm not a fan of that art, but the story was really well done.
It was really weird to see Bagley's art in the middle with the flashback

Quick question: Bendis made Jess up right, there wasn't another series or appearence of her before Alias?

I thought he made her up but i thought i would ask and clear the air....... it kind of reminds me of the whole Sentry thing

Shihad said:
Quick question: Bendis made Jess up right, there wasn't another series or appearence of her before Alias?

Bendis made her up.

Shihad said:
I thought he made her up but i thought i would ask and clear the air....... it kind of reminds me of the whole Sentry thing

Sort of, yeah. I like stories like that where they are able to insert new characters into past events. When she was in the hospital when Galactus came...that was cool.

Latest posts

Back