All About Movies Thread: 8 Tweets & a Funeral.

How to TRON Your Dragon:

tumblr_liq974QlGy1qzf0ymo1_500.jpg

If only...

Last edited:
I just watched Tron and Tron Legacy, both for the first time, back-to-back while eating pizza and ice cream and drinking Dr. Pepper. It was great.

I really liked the "religious" angles of the first one and the creative ways they paralleled the "real" world to circuitry and all that, but the sequel was absolutely stunning. One of the most visually incredible movies ever, and a hundred times better than Avatar. The story could've used a bit more work in that they glossed over too many crucial details like why physically beaming in and out of the Grid actually works(people say you don't need to have seen the first, but if you hadn't, this one would make far less than the minute amount of sense it makes anyway). If not for how utterly believable Jeff Bridges is it wouldn't have been nearly as compelling. The CGI Bridges was obviously not perfect, but it was still pretty cool and I'm glad they pushed the envelope and did it.

And of course, that soundtrack. Daft Punk is hit and miss for me so I was really glad that they turned out something so great and different from what I was expecting. I'll definitely see the next one on the big screen and watch the upcoming animated series. Also, the "Flynn Lives" short was sweet, another reason I'm glad I watched the first film.

Last edited:
Olivia Wilde, the soundtrack and the special effects are the only things I liked in Tron Legacy and they are the three things I knew I would like before I even saw the movie.

I got my Jeff Bridges fix in True Grit.

Interesting, the problem I see is when converting it to DVD or TV since they have a different frame rate settings and you can just play it at 48 fps and hope the blu ray/dvd player can keep up not to mention more theater projectors may not even have a setting for it. But it interests me where 3D is concerned, one of the reasons I hate 3D is that the frame rate looks off to me. It just doesn't flow normally for me and I wonder if this can solve that and actually make 3D worth the price.

I now have a PS3 and I have Netflix Instant Watch on it and there are over 150 films in my Instant Queue and HARRY POTTER 7.1, THE FIGHTER and 127 HOURS are all coming on Blu-ray in the mail next week. This is all clearly the greatest thing ever, but I have no time for any of it as it's finals month at college. ****, ****, ****ity **** ****.

Mickey Rourke's opinion of his next two upcoming movies.
Vulture said:
You guys (50 Cent) are in a movie together, right?

A really bad movie, yeah.

What?! Is it out?

No, it's so bad it can't get out.

Tell me why you made it.

For the money.

But you think the movie's bad.

Terrible.

Why?

You have to watch it.

What about your movie with Megan Fox and Bill Murray?

Terrible. Another terrible movie. But, you know, in your career and all the movies you make, you're going to make dozens of terrible ones.

You called Megan Fox, like, one of the best actresses of all time.

That I worked with [smirk].

That movie's getting limited release.

That's because it's not very good.

Awesome.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/04/mickey_rourke_takes_back_the_n.html

Watching THE OTHER GUYS on the PS3 via Netflix Instant Watch. This scene had me in stitches. SPOILER ALERT (even though it is from the first half hour of the two hour film).

[video=youtube;Z-vBH60KrW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-vBH60KrW8[/video]

Unfortunately the rest of the movie doesn't live up to that scene.

Last edited:
Apparently Morgan Freeman is taking the role of Colonel Shikishima in the live-action Akira movie. James Franco was in talks for the role of Shotaro Kaneda. Mila Kunis was offered the role of Kei, but turned it down in favor of featuring in Oz, the Great and Powerful. Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Justin Timberlake, Joaquin Phoenix, and Chris Pine are now also in the running to play Kaneda. Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield and James McAvoy are also being spoken to for the role of Tetsuo Shima.

Alright, white people being cast in this movie aside ... Everyone who's in talks to play Kaneda is in their 30s. If they're really going to go forward with this and cast American actors in what I can only imagine would be a reimagining of the source material like The Departed was a reimagining of Infernal Affairs, at least pick unknown actors or actors that make sense. I mean, what's the point of breaking these movies into segments to fit in the entire story of the manga if you're not even going to stay true to the characters? It really just sounds like they're choosing these actors because they're lazy and/or want to draw in a wider audience. In this case, what's the point?

Last edited:
Not only that but the original characters are in frikkin' high school. And morgan freeman, I love him, but no. Just no. You need someone more in to the tune of R. Lee Ermie. I forget how to spell his last name. He played the drill Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket. Someone like Tommy Lee Jones. Someone who sounds good when barking orders.

Just for ****s and giggles, I'd love to see Haley Joel Osmond play Tetsuo or Kaneda. even Akira himself with those beady little eyes. Morgan Freeman would be better off playing the wacky scientist who gets crushed in the mobile science van.

Latest posts

Back