All About Movies Thread: 8 Tweets & a Funeral.

apparently they're making two prequel movies. It sounds like a terrible idea, but Damon Lindelof is attached to the project.

Honestly, I think it's about time they did a Superman Returns type revamp to the series (but you, know better than Superman Returns). Alien 3 was made almost 20 years ago, and it was terrible. But the franchise deserves a better ending than the one it got. Pretend Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection never happened and give the story a new ending. One that doesn't involve the offscreen death of Newt and Hicks during the opening credits.

If they're going to retcon, start with Aliens. How Cameron got away with turning an amazing gothic horror franchise into a straight out sci-fi action movie, is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Aliens, but it's just not as good, compared to the original.

Aaaaand there goes the tornado siren, one of these days, I'm expecting everything to go dark and I'll have to run for my life.

If they're going to retcon, start with Aliens. How Cameron got away with turning an amazing gothic horror franchise into a straight out sci-fi action movie, is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Aliens, but it's just not as good, compared to the original.
see, i feel the opposite way. Alien was pretty cool and I can definitely see how it was a game changer and why it's a classic, but I found it to be a bit slow and the characters to be not very interesting. I liked it, but I thought Aliens took a cool concept and made it better. A lot like T2 compared to Terminator.

Aaaaand there goes the tornado siren, one of these days, I'm expecting everything to go dark and I'll have to run for my life.
:?
Make sure you come back on and let us know you're okay when things clear up.

EDIT: woah, i just realized Hicks is Kyle Reese! I didn't even recognize Michael Biehn in Aliens.

Last edited:
see, i feel the opposite way. Alien was pretty cool and I can definitely see how it was a game changer and why it's a classic, but I found it to be a bit slow and the characters to be not very interesting. I liked it, but I thought Aliens took a cool concept and made it better. A lot like T2 compared to Terminator.

:?
Make sure you come back on and let us know you're okay when things clear up.

EDIT: woah, i just realized Hicks is Kyle Reese! I didn't even recognize Michael Biehn in Aliens.

Sorry, was a Silent Hill reference. In the games and movie, they used the tornado sirens that are indicative to this area, so when they test the sirens, I expect the world to shift.

As to Aliens (and Terminator 2), I'm the exact opposite, their first movie are these finely crafted modern horror films. Then Cameron, on both, had these Ideas. Instead of using those Ideas as the basis for new stories, he shoehorned them into preexisting stories. Aliens is in my top 20 favorite movies, but it would have been even better had he used the Idea in a different story, hell it would have made an outstanding Starship Troopers movie. I think T2 was hampered the moment he planned for Arnold to wax poetic on the nature of man and machine.

I am going to a press screening of 127 HOURS and then interviewing Danny Boyle for my college paper next week. And so my (hopeful) career in entertainment journalism begins.

Very cool - congrats and good luck.

Sorry, was a Silent Hill reference. In the games and movie, they used the tornado sirens that are indicative to this area, so when they test the sirens, I expect the world to shift.
oh, so no tornado? well that's good.

As to Aliens (and Terminator 2), I'm the exact opposite, their first movie are these finely crafted modern horror films. Then Cameron, on both, had these Ideas. Instead of using those Ideas as the basis for new stories, he shoehorned them into preexisting stories. Aliens is in my top 20 favorite movies, but it would have been even better had he used the Idea in a different story, hell it would have made an outstanding Starship Troopers movie. I think T2 was hampered the moment he planned for Arnold to wax poetic on the nature of man and machine.

fair enough. I know other people who feel the same way as you. I guess since I just watched Alien for the first time this week and The Terminator for the first time a year ago, they didn't scare me at all, so the whole "finely crafted modern horror films" was lost on me. I can see how they were game changers in their time and why they became instant classics, but they weren't as enjoyable for me.

I guess I should clarify what I mean by, "they didn't scare me at all". I wasn't scared watching people get ripped apart by the big monster alien or shot by the futuristic robot. However, in Alien, the concept of a creature that latches onto your face and rapes you in the mouth does freak the crap out of me. Not in a, "I can't sleep at night" kind of way, but in a "that's an image that keeps gnawing at the back of my mind" kind of way.

oh, so no tornado? well that's good.

fair enough. I know other people who feel the same way as you. I guess since I just watched Alien for the first time this week and The Terminator for the first time a year ago, they didn't scare me at all, so the whole "finely crafted modern horror films" was lost on me. I can see how they were game changers in their time and why they became instant classics, but they weren't as enjoyable for me.

I guess I should clarify what I mean by, "they didn't scare me at all". I wasn't scared watching people get ripped apart by the big monster alien or shot by the futuristic robot. However, in Alien, the concept of a creature that latches onto your face and rapes you in the mouth does freak the crap out of me. Not in a, "I can't sleep at night" kind of way, but in a "that's an image that keeps gnawing at the back of my mind" kind of way.

See, now I can understand that. If I'd only recently watched Alien or Terminator, I could see their lessened impact. I was 8 when I saw Alien for the first time (my parents' friends had it on LaserDisc, and their sons were significantly older than me, and loved to torment me), as I grew up, I fell in love with the movie, and its intricacies. Imagine the poor theater goers in 1979 when they saw Alien for the first time. Sure there was horror films in the past, but Alien created a whole new feel, with the dark and highly psycho-sexual imagery.

That is why Aliens was such a disappointment, because it seems to me, that Cameron missed the subtleties of the original, and did the in your face action route.

But, like I've said before, I still love Aliens, hell I even like Aliens3 (Alien Resurrection had some great ideas, and visual, but was pretty terrible in the end).

my parents' friends had it on LaserDisc

LaserDisc :lol:
Imagine the poor theater goers in 1979 when they saw Alien for the first time. Sure there was horror films in the past, but Alien created a whole new feel, with the dark and highly psycho-sexual imagery.
yeah, for real. That must have been shocking.

LaserDisc :lol:

yeah, for real. That must have been shocking.

:p

I admit it, I'm an old lady. I still love my LD player and my LD collection (which amusingly, I have all 4 Alien movies on LD).

148097.png

I have three thoughts about that:

1) WHAAAAT? Who thought a Wizard of Oz Prequel was a good idea?

2) However, Robert Downey Jr as a young wizard of Oz is such great casting

3) However, Sam Raimi? Really?

Why not, people said the same thing about Wicked (which is also a prequel to the Wonderful Wizard of Oz), look how well that did.

Gods, I'd give anything for a Wicked movie *sighs wistfully*

Really, I'm just glad it's not Tim Burton

Yeah, gotta side with you on this one, I love Burton and all, but I'd love to see other people do dreamy/otherworldly stuff.

Gangster's Paradise: Jerusalema IMDB link 8.2/10 great movie. before you eat, sleep or pray you have to survive. after you have learned to survive you must take that opportunity to eat what you can, sleep where you can, and pray to whoever will listen. in my opinion this movie does a pretty decent job of showing the most basic of human nature. Survival. if you get a chance watch it.

edit: watch 4.3.2.1. 7.8/10 really enjoyed the movie. its a great sit back and releax type deal. you have guest stars, EVE, Kevin Smith, Mandy Patinkin. plus the directing all came together in the end. splitting the same 2 days into each persons life.

Last edited:

2) However, Robert Downey Jr as a young wizard of Oz is such great casting

3) However, Sam Raimi? Really?

Really, I'm just glad it's not Tim Burton

Yeah, gotta side with you on this one, I love Burton and all, but I'd love to see other people do dreamy/otherworldly stuff.

Yeah, the idea of Tim Burton doing this makes me nauseous. Raimi could go anywhere with it.

What I'd love is if they made to look as closely as possible to how'd it would've been made in the 1930s. Sepia stuff, sets with miniatures, hot air balloons on wires, actual midgets, matte paintings and especially all the cinematography. THAT would be something special.

Latest posts

Back