All About Movies Thread: 8 Tweets & a Funeral.

I was really pumped about Taken 2... It currently has a 7% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm going to go see it anyway.

Its just going to continue this years trend of movies that look great and suck horribly.

Seriously, this has been the most disappointing year in movies that I can remember. The only movies that lived up to expectations/potential are Cabin in the Woods, The Avengers and Looper. The rest has been wastes of time.

Oh good god I've become Bass.

Friday said:
Its just going to continue this years trend of movies that look great and suck horribly.

Seriously, this has been the most disappointing year in movies that I can remember. The only movies that lived up to expectations/potential are Cabin in the Woods, The Avengers and Looper. The rest has been wastes of time.

Hah! No you haven't! You don't capitalize movie titles! And! I didn't like THE AVENGERS!

(Actually, I did, but I think it's really weak sauce. I saw DREDD which was awesome, so was BRAVE, THE RAID, and JOHN CARTER. All came out this year, all great movies that lived up to expectations.)

Hah! No you haven't! You don't capitalize movie titles! And! I didn't like THE AVENGERS!

(Actually, I did, but I think it's really weak sauce. I saw DREDD which was awesome, so was BRAVE, THE RAID, and JOHN CARTER. All came out this year, all great movies that lived up to expectations.)

Dredd was fine. I have no real connection to the character or setting though so I can see getting a lot more out if it if you do. Limey.

John Carter was fine too. I wouldn't call it great, but no where near what it was made out to be or deserving of the treatment it got.

I haven't seen the Raid or Brave yet.

I'd feel like too much of a foreveralone. No offense.

Oh, I never promised you wouldn't feel like a foreveralone.

Dredd was fine. I have no real connection to the character or setting though so I can see getting a lot more out if it if you do. Limey.

John Carter was fine too. I wouldn't call it great, but no where near what it was made out to be or deserving of the treatment it got.

I haven't seen the Raid or Brave yet.

Double hah! I have no connection to Dredd! I know nothing about him! And it was great!

Going to the cinema alone is fine as long as there's someone else on their own who looks worse than you.

Friday said:

I've only seen The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Dark Knight Rises. All of them were AWESOME! I will hear no dissenting opinions.

21 Jump Street, The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods, Chronicle, The Dark Knight Rises, The Grey, Indie Game: The Movie, John Carter, Looper and The Raid: Redemption are my top 10 so far.

ProjectX2 said:
21 Jump Street, The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods, Chronicle, The Dark Knight Rises, The Grey, Indie Game: The Movie, John Carter, Looper and The Raid: Redemption are my top 10 so far.

Still need to see The Cabin in the Woods and Looper (and Indie Game, never even heard of that).

21 Jump Street was hilarious, looking forward to it's inevitable sequel.

The Avengers was just plain old good fun and undiluted awesomeness.

Chronicle was a pretty novel take on the "gaining super-powers" formula, and also looking forward to it's sequel.

The Dark Knight Rises was decent, though the weakest of the Nolan Batman films (though I loved the reveal of JGL as Robin at the end and taking up the mantle of Batman).

The Grey I enjoyed (I find it difficult not to enjoy a movie with Liam Neeson, and The Grey I just found an interesting take on the man vs nature/animal scenario).

John Carter I was quite impressed with. I don't get the negativity that film got. Thought it held a lot of potential not only by itself, but as a new franchise for Disney. Too bad their execs railroaded it.

The Raid: Redemption has been getting great reviews, but I wasn't impressed by it. Great action/fight choreography to be sure, but the plot was mediocre and just uninteresting to me. Maybe I'll give it another try later on, but I was pretty bored by it.

I'd feel like too much of a foreveralone. No offense.

Once I was suppose to see Tron Legacy with a group of friends and they all ditched me one by one. It was like my first free day in months and I wanted to see a movie. So I went and saw Tangled alone and I was the only person in the theater for awhile. They a couple came in and was just use three. Then we went home and had a threesome. Lots of hair pulling.

This needs to never happen. But at the same time, it should probably happen.

[video=youtube;PirI19qzQoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirI19qzQoU[/video]

Just saw Warm Bodies. It was pretty good. A lot better than I thought it would be. I went cause I'm a Zombie fan. And well... it had zombies in it. It's more of a love story than anything else. But still enjoyable for Zombie and Non-Zombie lovers. Just a few bites and one zombie pealed the flesh from his face as R (Main Zombie) explained that the other type of zombies called Bonies are just Zombies that gave up the last shred of their humanity. So not bloody at all.

I saw "We're The Millers" today. I really liked it. The credits "goof" where they play the friends theme song as Jennifer Aniston looks on trying not laugh = Priceless. Not the "best movie ever" But it's fun

I saw "We're The Millers" today. I really liked it. The credits "goof" where they play the friends theme song as Jennifer Aniston looks on trying not laugh = Priceless. Not the "best movie ever" But it's fun

I enjoyed "We're the Millers". Very funny, great cast and chemistry between Sudeikis and Aniston, and it's a comedy... about weed... so that sold me from the get-go. But it turned out well even besides my personal tastes for the subject matter. I'm looking forward to the sequel, while at the same time not expecting much (because really, when to sequels to formulaic stoner comedies ever truly break new ground?).

I enjoyed "We're the Millers". Very funny, great cast and chemistry between Sudeikis and Aniston, and it's a comedy... about weed... so that sold me from the get-go. But it turned out well even besides my personal tastes for the subject matter. I'm looking forward to the sequel, while at the same time not expecting much (because really, when to sequels to formulaic stoner comedies ever truly break new ground?).

True BUT i'd argue it was not a "stoner comedy" it was a comedy in the style of the "national lampoons vaction" series. As a film like "harold and kumar" which the taking of drugs drove parts or most of the plot like "Cheech & Chong" But "We're the Millers" You could replace the drugs with gold or something and it'd still be the same movie as the focus was on the journey + the bonding. The drug trafficking was just a plot to set everything else in motion.

With the ending of the first movie too it could be one of the badguys from the first is back so the "family" goes on the run or something as the films focus means it's easier to adapt to another sequel other than "they get high again".

Thats my thought at least

True BUT i'd argue it was not a "stoner comedy" it was a comedy in the style of the "national lampoons vaction" series. As a film like "harold and kumar" which the taking of drugs drove parts or most of the plot like "Cheech & Chong" But "We're the Millers" You could replace the drugs with gold or something and it'd still be the same movie as the focus was on the journey + the bonding. The drug trafficking was just a plot to set everything else in motion.

I think it classifies as a stoner comedy. For one, weed is the driving plot point, the main character is a stoner and drug dealer, etc. Also, I'm not sure there is much of a black market or need to smuggle gold, so I'd say the weed plot point isn't as interchangeable as you think. I mean, other drugs, sure, but most other drugs aren't quite as socially acceptable or rife for comedy as marijuana is. Alcohol, sure, but since that's legal, it wouldn't apply to the smuggling plot.

With the ending of the first movie too it could be one of the badguys from the first is back so the "family" goes on the run or something as the films focus means it's easier to adapt to another sequel other than "they get high again". Thats my thought at least

Most likely something along those lines.

Last edited:
Next month, instead of doing a Halloween movie-a-thon, I will instead have a Jackie Chan movie-a-thon. And here is my list. It's more than 31 movies, so some days will be double-features.

Master with Cracked Fingers (1971)
The Killer Meteors (1976)
Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978)
The Magnificent Bodyguards (1978)
In the Eagle's Shadow (1978)
Drunken Master (1978)
Fearless Hyena (1979)
Dragon Fist (1979)
The Young Master (1980)
Dragon Lord (1982)
Fantasy Mission Force (1983)
Fearless Hyena II (1983)
Project A (1983)
Police Story (1985)
The Protector (1985)
Armour of God (1986)
Project A2 (1987)
Police Story 2 (1988)
Island of Fire (1990)
Armour of God II: Operation Condor (1991)
Police Story 3: Supercop (1992)
Twin Dragons (1992)
Crime Story (1993)
Drunken Master II (1994)
Thunderbolt (1995)
Rumble in the Bronx (1995)
Police Story 4: First Strike (1996)
Mr. Nice Guy (1997)
Whom Am I? (1998)
The Accidental Spy (2001)
Around the World in 80 Days (2004)
New Police Story (2004)