All New X-Men by Bendis/Immonen (spoilers)

Who says there's not a logical reason? Bendis is capable of strong writing but as his star power has risen and he's juggled more and more books at a time, he seems content to have gotten a big head that prevents him from seeing his flaws and growing as a writer, and his weaknesses have bubled more clearly to the surface. IMO, these problems are grossly apparent in his x-books.

There's a lack of distinguishing voice between his characters, who all have a tendency to speak with the same rhythm. He uses this cadence as a crutch, and where it was once a vehicle for clever writing and as a means to convey story without being too expository, it's now more often than not an excuse to fill space. Someone compared his writing as a good fit because X-Men is "soap operatic", but the strength of the best soap operas is that they substitute a plot-driven approach for intensive characterization spread over a large canvas. That's largely absent here.

This. His style works fantastically for Alias and Daredevil. It doesn't work for other characters as much. It barely worked for New Avengers, and even then only some of the time.

Compare the difference in voice among characters he writes compared to, say, Joss Whedon.

But more problematic, for me, is that there isn't rhyme or reason to the plot that is there. Things happen because Bendis wants them to happen, not because they make sense in the context of the universe he's created.

But THIS is by far his worst flaw. So much of what he writes just makes no sense IN ITS OWN CONTEXT. I can't even remember the last time he wrote a sensical, satisfying ending to a story. Daredevil, maybe?

And I completely identify with not understanding why this book exists. It's exactly like Zombipanda said: Bendis just makes stuff happen to see what happens. This story isn't going anywhere, isn't answering any questions, and isn't identifying any problems that need solving. It reads exactly like a guy who wanted to write a What If story where the original X-Men meet the present-day X-Men, and he's stretching it out as long as he can. And I personally don't even find it interesting.

I'm curious more about #14 where it says Mastermind (original) is involved, even though he died back in an annual during the 90s from the Legacy Virus. That was the issue where he had some of the X-Men in a grand illusion and where Iceman called himself Icemaster and Wolverine groveled to him, just to note. :D

Well this should prove to be an interesting issue. (#20)

1381510282.jpg

But THIS is by far his worst flaw. So much of what he writes just makes no sense IN ITS OWN CONTEXT. I can't even remember the last time he wrote a sensical, satisfying ending to a story. Daredevil, maybe?

Bendis' Daredevil run (which I enjoyed immensely) ended with DD in jail and Brubaker was left with figuring that out. It was a cool way to end the run, but it didn't really end the story. The story of DD's downward spiral into darkness ended with Shadowland. Which was by no means a satisfying or good ending. I like what Bendis did on DD but it started a downward spiral that he didn't know how to deal with. They had to possess him with an ancient demon to finish the story off.

The truth is, he always does this. Remember on New Avengers "all will be revealed" or in the Ultimate Universe "no don't worry, it DOES all fit together. You'll see." And the result of those? Secret Invasion and Ultimate Origins, which were not only terrible stories, but they didn't conclude or explain anything.

Bendis continually writes himself into a corner. With the exception of Ultimate Spider-Man, the best conclusion he's ever done was AVX as a conclusion to House of M. And he wasn't the only one involved in that and it wasn't really very good.

I used to love his stuff. He lost me around 2008. I only read Ultimate Spider-Man now.

Last edited:
Well it makes perfect sense, since he is a mutant at all.

There's been no information released about the issue. Just Bendis showing the cover last weekend, teasing about it.

I'm positive, whatever is going on, will likely be Ultimate Miles since Bendis is doing the 616 version in the Spider-Men sequel.

There's been no information released about the issue. Just Bendis showing the cover last weekend, teasing about it. I'm positive, whatever is going on, will likely be Ultimate Miles since Bendis is doing the 616 version in the Spider-Men sequel.

I suppose it's only going to be an arc or two since Miles is starting in two of the three ongoing Ultimate titles now.

I do think it's possible it's the 616 version of Miles, since we know he exists. It's also possible he'll be introduced here and the Spider-Men sequel will act as a prequel to this arc.

I kind of hope it's not Ultimate Miles for that reason, but we'll see. There were the long time rumors of Miles coming to the 616 verse before Cataclysm released, so maybe they were somewhat accurate and he's coming to 616 in this series.

There's also Spider-verse happening soon.

Anyway, the reason I came to this thread is because I just found out Corsair is no longer dead. I don't know where or how he came back (but it was only a matter of time), can someone give me a synopsis of why he isn't dead? I haven't read any X-Men stuff since Bendis took over.

There's also Spider-verse happening soon.

Anyway, the reason I came to this thread is because I just found out Corsair is no longer dead. I don't know where or how he came back (but it was only a matter of time), can someone give me a synopsis of why he isn't dead? I haven't read any X-Men stuff since Bendis took over.

Hasn't been revealed. I imagine it will be in Cyclops.

Alright, thanks. Kind of like how Thanos came back.

Just came to edit this in, but I'm reading issue #2 and it's made clear that his resurrection is DEFINITELY part of the plot.

EDIT: I think...I don't know too much about the more obscure X-Men characters but I've been learning through older comics.

Last edited:
Just came to edit this in, but I'm reading issue #2 and it's made clear that his resurrection is DEFINITELY part of the plot.

EDIT: I think...I don't know too much about the more obscure X-Men characters but I've been learning through older comics.

As in you don't know much about Corsair?

Correct, I don't know enough about him to know with one-hundred percent certainty that what I think may have to do with his resurrection is normal or past behavior

Correct, I don't know enough about him to know with one-hundred percent certainty that what I think may have to do with his resurrection is normal or past behavior

Okay. It doesn't help that different writers are going to write the character differently. Especially over the span of 40 years.

Latest posts

Back