Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man: Remember Ben Reilly?

so amazon has a solit for The Complete Clone Saga Epic - Book 4 up (coming out in December)

and it lists New Warriors #61 as one of the collected issues.
Now New Warriors is a prologue to the Maximum Clonage story, but I don't think it's super important. So we may still get the rest of Scarlet Spider's appearances in New Warriors (He joins the team in #62 and appears in every issue until #71, even after he becomes the New Spider-Man)

Without bothering to look up a reading list, that sounds like it very well could span 8 volumes like you suggested. I guess it would depend on how they collect the issues between when Ben becomes Spider-Man and Revelations.

yeah, this potentially could be a HUGE collection.

EDIT: So, by the end of book 4, they will be up to
Amazing Spider-Man #404
Spectacular Spider-Man #227
Web of Spider-Man #127
Spider-Man #61
Spider-Man Unlimited #9
New Warriors #61

The Clone Saga continues in:
Amazing Spider-Man #405-418
Spectacular Spider-Man #228-240
Web of Spider-Man #128-129
Spider-Man #62-75
Spider-Man Unlimited #10-14
Sensational Spider-Man #0-11
Amazing Scarlet Spider #1-2
Spectacular Scarlet Spider #1-2
Web of Scarlet Spider #1-4
Scarlet Spider #1-2
Scarlet Spider Unlimited #1
New Warriors #62- (at least 67, but possibly 71)

Assuming Marvel wants this to actually be the complete clone saga epic and there are no other specials or one shots (which there probably are) we're talking 77-81 more issues (some larger than others). The books have been averaging about 15 issues per, so we're looking at potential for AT LEAST nine books total.

Last edited:
yeah, I haven't read it but I've heard it was pretty bad. The New Warriors stuff isn't collected in the later volumes of the Complete Clone Saga tpb, is it?

I just started Book 4 and there is at least one New Warriors issue in it.

And the drag in this story is almost unbearable. NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

I just got to the "hero" Green Goblin, too. :lol:

I just started Book 4 and there is at least one New Warriors issue in it.

And the drag in this story is almost unbearable. NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

I just got to the "hero" Green Goblin, too. :lol:

yeah, i haven't read any of the hero GG stuff yet, but he's back as a pretty major character in ASM right now.

yeah, i haven't read any of the hero GG stuff yet, but he's back as a pretty major character in ASM right now.

I think I'm a couple issues behind on ASM right now.

I really don't like hero GG, even though I am not really that far into it. It's stupid. Green Goblin is like the epitome of evil in the MU. It would be like Joker becoming a "hero". In the clone saga story he's trying really hard, is unsure of himself, and is basically nothing like Green Goblin except for the costume. But then again it's Tom Defalco, the worst comics writer in history. So I don't know what I should have expected.

On a semi-related note, I was reading this and thinking what an idiotic premise "Dark Marvel" is (or whatever they are calling post-Secret Invasion, pre-Siege MU). Norman Osbourn is basically the worst person ever. There is no way any government or collective people would allow him in any kind of office. It's so ridiculous that I can't even hyperbole enough to describe it.

Bendis is such an awful writer. Most of the time, anyway.

But Defalco is worse.

Dark Reign.

And I disagree. For most of his career, no one besides Spider-Man knew Norman was the goblin. Norman Osborn was a respected business man. When he died, Harry found his body and took the goblin costume off him so no one knew. When he came back, Ben Urich exposed him, but Norman sued him and somehow proved him wrong. Then he eventually went crazy in the gathering of the five, but even then the Scriers covered for him and killed the hand-full of people that saw that he was the goblin. Then he was finally arrested when Luke Cage went after him for endangering Jessica Jones. That was the first time he was EVER arrested and outed as the Goblin (and the story was written by Bendis). He then convinced the powers that be that he was mentally ill (he is) and that once he got it under control he was fine. This lead to him becoming the leader of the Thunderbolts. Then from there you know the rest about "proving himself" and becoming a hero in Secret Invasion. It's still a stretch, for sure, but it's not simply "everyone knows the Green Goblin is evil, why would he be in office?" No one knew he was evil for a long time. And then he was able to convince them he still wasn't evil.

Well it's kind of a BIG stretch. Even though he was only outed officially once as the Green Goblin, the GG did nasty **** around NY since forever. I think just the fact that he did what he did when he was the GG, even if he was mentally ill, should be enough so that he didn't get his spot at HAMMER. Mentally ill or not he murdered several people... then again I'm not sure about the extent of media knowledge on stuff he did in the Marvel Universe, maybe his thugs or other lowlife criminals got blamed for the corpses people found around town.

Aahh nevermind, forget I said anything. Too much continuity to be sure :crazy:

my point was that almost none of what he did as the goblin could be proved to be him.

I agree that making a known criminal with a history of mental illness the head of the world's foremost peacekeeping task force makes NO sense, regardless of what alien he killed.

We look at it and think, "What? But he's the Green Goblin! He's EVIL! He seduced Gwen Stacy and threw her off a bridge!" But to the average person in the Marvel Universe, they look at it and think, "He's Norman Osborn, a respected business man who had some issues with his mental health a while back. But he's been successfully leading the Thunderbolts and he saved earth from the Skrulls and all of our regular super heroes are dead or fighting each other. Again, it's shaky logic, but Marvel has had worse ideas. And I liked Dark Reign.

Dark Reign.

And I disagree. For most of his career, no one besides Spider-Man knew Norman was the goblin. Norman Osborn was a respected business man. When he died, Harry found his body and took the goblin costume off him so no one knew. When he came back, Ben Urich exposed him, but Norman sued him and somehow proved him wrong. Then he eventually went crazy in the gathering of the five, but even then the Scriers covered for him and killed the hand-full of people that saw that he was the goblin. Then he was finally arrested when Luke Cage went after him for endangering Jessica Jones. That was the first time he was EVER arrested and outed as the Goblin (and the story was written by Bendis). He then convinced the powers that be that he was mentally ill (he is) and that once he got it under control he was fine. This lead to him becoming the leader of the Thunderbolts. Then from there you know the rest about "proving himself" and becoming a hero in Secret Invasion. It's still a stretch, for sure, but it's not simply "everyone knows the Green Goblin is evil, why would he be in office?" No one knew he was evil for a long time. And then he was able to convince them he still wasn't evil.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this and I know better than to question Spider-Man history coming from you.

But it is still a huge stretch that he is given that much power just for shooting the Skrull queen.

But it is still a huge stretch that he is given that much power just for shooting the Skrull queen.

Yeah that was dumb as hell but I actually like the idea of Osborn taking over Shield, there's a lot of good possible story coming from that but it was handle pretty horribly.

my point was that almost none of what he did as the goblin could be proved to be him.

Makes sense, especially since there were so many goblins over the years, he could easily argue he only turned into the Goblin that time in his offices when Jessica thought she lost her baby.
Still... that one time was pretty serious, I didn't read Pulse properly except for the parts where Spidey show up, so did the murder charges stick? Or did he go arrested just for going crazy in his office (and almost killing people)?

Yeah that was dumb as hell but I actually like the idea of Osborn taking over Shield, there's a lot of good possible story coming from that but it was handle pretty horribly.
I actually liked it. Well, at least the way Joe Kelly handled it in ASM was great. Dark Avengers was awesome too! IMO at least...

Last edited:

Right. Norman Osborn is a manipulative, brilliant businessman whose character would've been better served by having him manipulate his way into the position rather than just by dumb luck.

I actually liked it. Well, at least the way Joe Kelly handled it in ASM was great. Dark Avengers was awesome too! IMO at least...
I didn't read that, in fact I read very few Dark Reign books because I knew it was going to be just like Avengers Disassemble, 198, Civil War, and Secret Invasion where the outcome of a major event create a new status quo that only lasts about two years at best til the next event creates a new status quo. And the idea of Osborn at the top would have been a great setting for years. Instead of having him be legitimately evil have him appear to be doing good then slowly build to him on the verge of global domination.
Right. Norman Osborn is a manipulative, brilliant businessman whose character would've been better served by having him manipulate his way into the position rather than just by dumb luck.

It would be good for Secret Invasion to be the start of his rise, gives him nation recognition as a war hero that he can use to worm his way through. Marvel just rushed through it and Dark Reign in general so everything seems pretty unimportant and quite lame as a result

This thread is kind of all over the place...

I just finished the Clone Saga Book 4. The dialog is absolutely brutal. This is spoken by Clone Gwen Stacy to Ben Reilly as she's about to kill Jackyl:

"Stay out of this, Ben. You're a real human.

This is a clone matter."

AWFUL.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this and I know better than to question Spider-Man history coming from you.
Yeah, I don't think many people are.

i agree completely.

And the idea of Osborn at the top would have been a great setting for years. Instead of having him be legitimately evil have him appear to be doing good then slowly build to him on the verge of global domination.
It would be good for Secret Invasion to be the start of his rise, gives him nation recognition as a war hero that he can use to worm his way through. Marvel just rushed through it and Dark Reign in general so everything seems pretty unimportant and quite lame as a result
And I also agree completely with this.

This thread is kind of all over the place...

I just finished the Clone Saga Book 4. The dialog is absolutely brutal. This is spoken by Clone Gwen Stacy to Ben Reilly as she's about to kill Jackyl:

"Stay out of this, Ben. You're a real human.

This is a clone matter."

AWFUL.
Yeah, I remember that. That was at the end of Maximum Clonage, wasn't it? awful, awful stuff!

I *think* it gets better after that, if I remember correctly. Once jackal and Clone Gwen are out of the picture it just becomes Spider-Man stories about Ben and Peter adjusting to life as a normal person (i think he even
loses his powers for a while
... It's been a while though.)

I *think* it gets better after that, if I remember correctly. Once jackal and Clone Gwen are out of the picture it just becomes Spider-Man stories about Ben and Peter adjusting to life as a normal person (i think he even

Yep, that quote was from the end of Maximum Clonage. Which was TERRIBLE. But yeah, at least Warren is gone. For now.

And I'm pretty sure you're right about that spoiler. I think it's more toward the end of the saga but I'm not sure.

(i think he even
Yeah, he
starts losing his powers, which culminates with him "dying" in a hospital, but then his body starts having spasms and he comes back to life with his powers back (Spectacular Spider-Man #237 (1996)

Last edited:
It seems like Marvel may be stopping with volume 5 of The Complete Clone Saga Epic. They haven't announced any more and i think vol 5 ends with Peter Parker deciding to hang up the webs and Ben Reilly becoming Spider-Man.

It's a logical place to end it, but i wanted them to do the whole thing.

:(

It seems like Marvel may be stopping with volume 5 of The Complete Clone Saga Epic. They haven't announced any more and i think vol 5 ends with Peter Parker deciding to hang up the webs and Ben Reilly becoming Spider-Man.

It's a logical place to end it, but i wanted them to do the whole thing.

:(

This better not be true, although given how poorly they are doing the omnibus releases and keeping up with them (extremely poorly) it wouldn't come as much surprise.

If this is due to slow sales, then it's just another example of why they should be embracing (or at least exploring) the distribution of cheap digital comics.

i could be completely wrong, if they follow the release schedule they have been, volume 6 should come out in April or May. So maybe i'm jumping the gun here.

Amazon had the other volumes up something like five months before they were released, (when volume 3 came out we new the release dates of volumes 4 and 5 already) so i would have thought we would have heard about volume 6 by now, but maybe we'll find out in January.

Latest posts

Back