Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man (Slott/Ramos)

The new amazing

I am so engsues for Aprill. Why? Aprill is the month the new amazing comes around. I enjoy reading books about spiderman

Re: The return of Amazing Spider-Man (Slott/Ramos)

Welcome #1spideyfan.

Glad to see you also love Spider-Man and we have lots of threads for the different books, so you can just look for them before making new ones. If you need any help, let us know.

big_sigh.gif

When is Slott gonna be finished?

They are doing that all over the place now with these Original Sin tie ins and stuff.

LOOK! A BIG SECRET WE NEVER MENTIONED BEFORE!

At least Hickman is tying it into an actual secret that was in his stories.

Spidey-whiteys. Heh.

Well, I'm interested to see how Peter explains to Anna Maria. And… I don't know. I love Spidey, I'm glad he's back. It may not be the best title out there, but I'm in.

The first issue was pretty bad. I like Spider-Man but I couldn't stick with this for that reason alone.

I'm reading it to keep up on what's going on, but I'm certainly not paying for it. It's funny how, as good as Marvel is right now, their (arguably) most popular book is so crappy.

The first issue was pretty bad. I like Spider-Man but I couldn't stick with this for that reason alone.

I'm reading it to keep up on what's going on, but I'm certainly not paying for it. It's funny how, as good as Marvel is right now, their (arguably) most popular book is so crappy.

They let Slott stay on Spidey for the same reason they let Bendis stay on whatever he wants. Because the books sell. The top two books on the market last month were Superior Spider-Man #31 and Amazing Spider-Man #1.

But yeah, it's not great at the moment.

I'll keep buying it because I'm committed to the book. I have every issue of ASM back as far as #299 and a handful before that too. I'm a sucker for Spidey.

Comic is sucky but is staying because it makes money, better keep buying it.

Yeah, I know WHY they are doing it. Obviously it's working for them sales-wise. Maybe it's because people stick with it just because they love Spider-Man like Cap. Canuck. I wasn't confounded as to why they kept him on, I just find it interesting that they are at one of their all-time creative highs, and the main book of their biggest and most imaginative character is complete crap.

Obviously I an't tell people how to spend their money, but if we stopped buying books that we didn't like they would get the message and improve them.

Comic is sucky but is staying because it makes money, better keep buying it.

See? You get me! ;)

The comics isn't sucky. It's not the best comic out there right now, but it's not terrible, in my opinion. I gave up on Spidey after One More Day and during Superior Spider-Man. But both times I've missed reading Spider-Man so much that I went back and bought all the back issues on ebay and then continued. Part of enjoying comics for me is being invested in the characters. I care what happens to Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Aunt May, MJ, Harry, and so on. I want to read the stories about them, even if they aren't "Amazing" at the moment.

Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man are the only comics I still buy hard copies for. The rest I buy digital or wait until they come out on Marvel Comics Unlimited. But I collect Spider-Man comics. So yes, I will continue to buy them.

Last edited:

See? You get me! ;)

The comics isn't sucky. It's not the best comic out there right now, but it's not terrible, in my opinion. I gave up on Spidey after One More Day and during Superior Spider-Man. But both times I've missed reading Spider-Man so much that I went back and bought all the back issues on ebay and then continued. Part of enjoying comics for me is being invested in the characters. I care what happens to Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Aunt May, MJ, Harry, and so on. I want to read the stories about them, even if they aren't "Amazing" at the moment.

Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man are the only comics I still buy hard copies for. The rest I buy digital or wait until they come out on Marvel Comics Unlimited. But I collect Spider-Man comics. So yes, I will continue to buy them.

I don't mean for this to sound judgmental or condescending. It's good to have something you can enjoy like this.

But... by your own admission you aren't really enjoying it. Do you not see the correlation between supporting Marvel's bad decisions in regards to this book (especially at $4 a pop) and it continuing to be bad? Or do you just not care? That's an honest question; I'm not trying to be facetious. You might not care, and that's fine.

I still read the book because I like Spider-Man and want to know what's happening with the character. But I download it; I don't like the idea of "supporting" (for lack of a better term) a bad book. I'm not trying to say I'm right and everyone should do it that way, it just surprises me when people pay money (continually) for something that they don't like, completely or not, and then complain that it's not good.

Yeah, I know WHY they are doing it. Obviously it's working for them sales-wise. Maybe it's because people stick with it just because they love Spider-Man like Cap. Canuck. I wasn't confounded as to why they kept him on, I just find it interesting that they are at one of their all-time creative highs, and the main book of their biggest and most imaginative character is complete crap.

Obviously I an't tell people how to spend their money, but if we stopped buying books that we didn't like they would get the message and improve them.

Well, two things:
First, not everyone thinks it's complete crap. I don't either. It's just not great. But Amazing Spider-Man hasn't been great probably since JMS was writing it, and even that had it's low points. And before that it was crap for over a decade (which I guess is your point, you just stated it more strongly than I did). The only consistently good Spider-Man we've had recently has been Ultimate Spider-Man

Second, I've actually talked to a lot of people that really liked Superior Spider-Man. And while I didn't love it, I can understand why they liked it. Superior Spider-Man showed why Spider-Man is a great hero by having Ock do things completely differently than Spidey and fail. But on top of that, it's sort of an interesting concept to see a villain try to be a hero using villain tropes. Ock was cold and calculating about who helped. He was arrogant. He had a lair and henchmen. His methods were pretty sketchy/immoral/illegal.

So, over all, I agree that Marvel could do a better job with Spidey, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that Amazing Spider-Man is "complete crap" and people only buy it because it's Spidey.

ASM #1 was a set up issue. There are things I'm looking forward to in the comic issues: the fall-out with Anna Maria, Electro, and Black Cat.

I don't mean for this to sound judgmental or condescending. It's good to have something you can enjoy like this.

But... by your own admission you aren't really enjoying it. Do you not see the correlation between supporting Marvel's bad decisions in regards to this book (especially at $4 a pop) and it continuing to be bad? Or do you just not care? That's an honest question; I'm not trying to be facetious. You might not care, and that's fine.

I still read the book because I like Spider-Man and want to know what's happening with the character. But I download it; I don't like the idea of "supporting" (for lack of a better term) a bad book. I'm not trying to say I'm right and everyone should do it that way, it just surprises me when people pay money (continually) for something that they don't like, completely or not, and then complain that it's not good.

So a) as I mentioned above, I don't think it's crap. I want to read it, even if it's not all I hope it would be.

and b) I want to have the physical copies of the issues because I collect them. I could wait and buy them on ebay, just so I'm not directly giving my money to Marvel, but that ends up being more expensive in the long run. (I did that with Superior Spider-Man, as I mentioned above)

but most importantly c) I don't like downloading comics. If I care enough that I want to read it, I'm going to pay for it one way or another (whether through buying the comic/tpb or through my subscription to Marvel Comics Unlimited). That's just my conviction on what's right. I've downloaded comics in the past, but decided I should stop.

Last edited:

but I don't think it's fair to suggest that...people only buy it because it's Spidey.

Maybe I misread, but I thought that's essentially what you were saying you were doing.

and b) I want to have the physical copies of the issues because I collect them. I could wait and buy them on ebay, just so I'm not directly giving my money to Marvel, but that ends up being more expensive in the long run. (I did that with Superior Spider-Man, as I mentioned above)

but most importantly c) I don't like downloading comics. If I care enough that I want to read it, I'm going to pay for it one way or another (whether through buying the comic/tpb or through my subscription to Marvel Comics Unlimited). That's just my conviction on what's right. I've downloaded comics in the past, but decided I should stop.

Completely valid and fair points. I only asked because I was curious; I wasn't trying to judge or say you were wrong. I just didn't understand.

Maybe I misread, but I thought that's essentially what you were saying you were doing.
Yeah, it is a big part of why I'm buying it. But my point was that I DO like the comic, even if it's not wonderful, and a lot of other people seem to think it IS wonderful.

Completely valid and fair points. I only asked because I was curious; I wasn't trying to judge or say you were wrong. I just didn't understand.

Yeah, no offence taken.

You know, I wouldn't mind if Anna Maria became the new Doc Ock

You know, I wouldn't mind if Anna Maria became the new Doc Ock

I would. Let's take an interesting female character and make her a copy of a dead male that'll be tossed aside when we bring him back. We did that. We literally did that with doctor freaking octopus once already. She's the only female character with any kind of arc right now and if it ends in mindless super villainy I'll be unhappy.

Last edited:

I didn't realize people found her interesting. I was trying to find a logical way to make her interesting to me.

Last edited:

I didn't realize people found her interesting. I was trying to find a logical way to make her interesting to me.

I like that you enjoy the 90s comic tropes that the rest of us hate. You've injected new life quirky new life into this board! :)

Latest posts

Back