Annihilation Event

Re: Annihilation Event.

DIrishB said:
It blatant legal plagiarizing of each other's ideas. I'm surprised we didn't get any DC 2099 titles back in the early 1990's.

You ever hear of DC One Million?

Dr.Strangefate said:
You ever hear of DC One Million?

No, but I can imagine...the thought process behind the decision must have gone something like this:

Random DC Editor #1: Hmmmm, Marvel's got their new 2099 line out, what can we do to one-up that?

Random DC Editor #2: I know! We'll make a DC Infinite Future storyline...

Random DC Editor #1: Hmmmm, that might be overdoing it...besides, we already have a storyline planned for over ten years from now involving the word "Infinite".

Random DC Editor #2: Ok...How about DC One Million?!? Set a million years in the future!

Random DC Editor #1: Genius! We've beaten Marvel by almost 800,000 years! Get three writers on it immediately...the one that sucks the least, we'll use.

Random DC Editor #2: Roger that!

Random DC Editor #1: And make sure they find some way to keep the present personas...no one wants to see a different Batman or Superman.

Random DC Editor #2: Well, that might work with Superman, but...Batman is just a normal dude...how can we make him over 800,000 years old?

Random DC Editor #1: I don't know, suspended animation, some fountain of youth serum...whatever the writers' pull out of their collective asses should work just fine.

Random DC Editor #2: I'll get right on it!

Random DC Editor #1: Hahaha! We've got your ticket now, Marvel!!

The funny thing is that it -did- center on the fact that Superman was immortal and lived in the sun.

Heh.

But it was by Grant Morrison, and was like 500 times awesomer than 2099.

Not to mention that it took place in the year 85,986 or something. I know that it was 1,000,000 months after June 1938, or so they said.

Superman had become immortal and absorbed so much of the sun's energy that he was basically God. He even had shiny gold skin that would make the Silver Surfer blush if he could.

Dr.Strangefate said:
The funny thing is that it -did- center on the fact that Superman was immortal and lived in the sun.

Heh.

But it was by Grant Morrison, and was like 500 times awesomer than 2099.

I don't doubt it, but thats due to Morrison's incredible writing skills, not any novel ideas by the editors I'm sure.

Doc Comic said:
Not to mention that it took place in the year 85,986 or something. I know that it was 1,000,000 months after June 1938, or so they said.

Superman had become immortal and absorbed so much of the sun's energy that he was basically God. He even had shiny gold skin that would make the Silver Surfer blush if he could.

That has more homosexual undertones than an episode of Queer Eye.

DIrishB said:
No, but I can imagine...the thought process behind the decision must have gone something like this:

Random DC Editor #1: Hmmmm, Marvel's got their new 2099 line out, what can we do to one-up that?

Random DC Editor #2: I know! We'll make a DC Infinite Future storyline...

Random DC Editor #1: Hmmmm, that might be overdoing it...besides, we already have a storyline planned for over ten years from now involving the word "Infinite".

Random DC Editor #2: Ok...How about DC One Million?!? Set a million years in the future!

Random DC Editor #1: Genius! We've beaten Marvel by almost 800,000 years! Get three writers on it immediately...the one that sucks the least, we'll use.

Random DC Editor #2: Roger that!

Random DC Editor #1: And make sure they find some way to keep the present personas...no one wants to see a different Batman or Superman.

Random DC Editor #2: Well, that might work with Superman, but...Batman is just a normal dude...how can we make him over 800,000 years old?

Random DC Editor #1: I don't know, suspended animation, some fountain of youth serum...whatever the writers' pull out of their collective asses should work just fine.

Random DC Editor #2: I'll get right on it!

Random DC Editor #1: Hahaha! We've got your ticket now, Marvel!!

I love how people try to trivialize DCs stuff as copying Marvel, when DC's planning process and writing have been a thousand times better than Marvel's for years now.

iceman said:
I love how people try to trivialize DCs stuff as copying Marvel, when DC's planning process and writing have been a thousand times better than Marvel's for years now.

Oh come off your high horse, I'm just as likely to trivialize Marvel's as well, if not moreso. And if their writing has been so good, why does Marvel consistently outsell them every month (especially the Ultimate titles, which are still selling strong)?

DIrishB said:
Oh come off your high horse, I'm just as likely to trivialize Marvel's as well, if not moreso. And if their writing has been so good, why does Marvel consistently outsell them every month (especially the Ultimate titles, which are still selling strong)?

Consistently???

For the past five months, Marvel's only outsold DC in November.

And even then, DC had the top two selling books of the month.

Marvel only outsells them due to overhyping a lot of their new stuff, and having a hell of a lot more #1 issues (which attract new customers) per month than DC does...

And they have a much superior system of pushing books out as Trade Paperbacks.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Consistently???

For the past five months, Marvel's only outsold DC in November.

And even then, DC had the top two selling books of the month.

Marvel only outsells them due to overhyping a lot of their new stuff, and having a hell of a lot more #1 issues (which attract new customers) per month than DC does...

And they have a much superior system of pushing books out as Trade Paperbacks.

They may seem like dupey sales tactics, but thats how you run a business. And I admit, I might be wrong in terms of the recent months, but lets look at a larger time-scale, say maybe the past 5 years. Who wins there?

Besides, thats not the point! I can't stand all these Marvel vs. DC arguments. You read what you like, end of story. There's no reason or validity in debating which is "better". Man, this is like 3rd grade type crap. Seriously.

All I was doing was making a small jab at the DC editorial office, which by no means was out of line. Had I done it to Marvel no one would have said a thing. Man, DC fans egos bruise really easily apparently. I'd say thats due to a large amount of insecurities. :lol:

Besides, Iceman and you are only teaming up on me because he flirted with you...sluts.

Last edited:

Doc Comic said:
Superman had become immortal and absorbed so much of the sun's energy that he was basically God.

Basically the complete opposite direction he's taking Superman in All-Star? Interesting.

UltimateE said:
Basically the complete opposite direction he's taking Superman in All-Star? Interesting.
Morrison probably did take ideas from his Superman Prime for use in All-Star. After all, he wrote both. I think Superman Prime is the ideal and positive view of what would happen, not to mention that Superman slowly takes in all of this energy over thousands of years. In All-Star, it's the negative view, and he takes it in all at once. Over the thousands of years, his cells had adapted to hold all of that energy, but getting it all at once in All-Star, his cells couldn't handle it yet.

DIrishB said:
They may seem like dupey sales tactics, but thats how you run a business. And I admit, I might be wrong in terms of the recent months, but lets look at a larger time-scale, say maybe the past 5 years. Who wins there?

Besides, thats not the point! I can't stand all these Marvel vs. DC arguments. You read what you like, end of story. There's no reason or validity in debating which is "better". Man, this is like 3rd grade type crap. Seriously.

All I was doing was making a small jab at the DC editorial office, which by no means was out of line. Had I done it to Marvel no one would have said a thing. Man, DC fans egos bruise really easily apparently. I'd say thats due to a large amount of insecurities. :lol:

Besides, Iceman and you are only teaming up on me because he flirted with you...sluts.

*claps*

I agree here, this is a case of, "Hey, my father can beat up your father."

And we all know Alias puts out better stuff than these

AnnihilationPosters.jpg

I'm glad Nova's getting a series again. Didn't Silver Surfer just have a series a year or two ago? I'm surprised by Super-Skrull getting a series.

Doc Comic said:
Didn't Silver Surfer just have a series a year or two ago?
Yeap. Lasted 14 issues. This is just a mini though, as the rest. Silver Surfer's mini was announced last year, but that was just it. Now we see why.

Doc Comic said:
Didn't Silver Surfer just have a series a year or two ago?

It was almost doomed from the start. They put out the first issue (maybe 2, not sure) and the artist disappeared into thin air. No one had any idea where s/he was. There was a big delay while they brought someone new on board.

People were wondering if s/he died or something, it was that abrupt. Weird stuff.

Latest posts

Back