Anyone Computer Savvy?

Re: Anyone Computer Savy?

So i need to get a laptop sorted for uni so i can easily take it to Japan with me but im not sure what my best choice is regarding OS. I`ve heard people ***** about Vista and i believe its really hard to put illegal software on so i wondered if i should get Vista or XP.

Last edited:

Here's one for Warrior (or anyone who knows, but most likely Warrior since he is our computer guru).

Is there any way to strip the DRM off of songs downloaded on either Napster or Yahoo Music subscription services? Someone asked me about it and I didn't know; they told me that both services have removed the ability to burn downloaded songs to CD.

just noticed this.
if i find a song on the internet i want, say an artist i like has a new song out but you can only listen to their song on their website i use a program called Advanced MP3/WMA recorder. You can use it in the same way with programs like Napster its basically like when you used to listen to the radio and recorded your favourite songs onto cassette except you are saving them as an mp3 with equal quality.
Advanced MP3/WMA recorder isnt free but u can find some registration keys or hacks out there for this

Jonny reminds me, if I switch jobs I'll probably need a laptop to take to work as well. If one has a wireless modem could it also have a regular modem, or would I have to switch it out?

So, basically, could it have both types of modems at once? Just in case my next job moves me to a bunch of different locations, which is very conceivable.

Jonny reminds me, if I switch jobs I'll probably need a laptop to take to work as well. If one has a wireless modem could it also have a regular modem, or would I have to switch it out?

So, basically, could it have both types of modems at once? Just in case my next job moves me to a bunch of different locations, which is very conceivable.

You could get one with a normal modem then buy something like this :

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6023584
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5142102

there is also a way to have both with wireless cards installed and a normal modem but that can be more expensive , these are simple to use and work very well.

Its highly likely if not the standard thing.
To quote a spec from one of the latest Sony Vaoi`s:
Networking: Ethernet 100 BASE-TX/10 BASE-T, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g

so yeah you can probably expect both

Last edited:

Its highly likely if not the standard thing.
To quote a spec from one of the latest Sony Vaoi`s:
Networking: Ethernet 100 BASE-TX/10 BASE-T, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g

so yeah you can probably expect both

Oh yeah , It should be standard. Good point Jonny , well if not Joe follow my tip.

Thanks guys. I've never had a laptop before but if I switch jobs I'll definately buy one (at the expense of a PC).

Here's one for Warrior (or anyone who knows, but most likely Warrior since he is our computer guru).

Is there any way to strip the DRM off of songs downloaded on either Napster or Yahoo Music subscription services? Someone asked me about it and I didn't know; they told me that both services have removed the ability to burn downloaded songs to CD.
Kind of. If you have downloaded a song or movie and can play it on your computer there are programs that says that they can remove the DRM. I haven't tried them myself and some files come with multiple protections so you might have SOME difficulty with them. If those programs doesn't work there are others that converts the files to non-protected files.

Just a note. NONE of the programs can break the DRM protection so if you have a file that you downloaded and can't play on your computer you're screwed.

just noticed this.
if i find a song on the internet i want, say an artist i like has a new song out but you can only listen to their song on their website i use a program called Advanced MP3/WMA recorder. You can use it in the same way with programs like Napster its basically like when you used to listen to the radio and recorded your favourite songs onto cassette except you are saving them as an mp3 with equal quality.
Advanced MP3/WMA recorder isnt free but u can find some registration keys or hacks out there for this

Two problems with this: First, the idea is to mass convert a large number of files, so recording them all isn't really practical. And second, if it encodes to MP3 in real time then it's not equal quality. If it records to WAV or AIFF or something it will be equal until you encode to MP3. Plus there's even more time re-converting the files.

Do you have anything like "CiD Help" in your Add/Remove program list? In that case uninstall it. If you STILL get unwanted pop-ups (that is not generated by the site you are visiting) post a new HijackThis! log. Some new stuff might have been added to your computer in between the last log was posted and you deleted the things in the list.

I can also recommend this site or this site if you want to avoid sites that install spyware and adware on your computer.

They've gotten more annoying

yiLogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:21:01 PM, on 8/23/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ZcfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\1XConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UdaterUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\McTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo Printer 720\dlbcserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Clean Access Agent\CCAAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~3\MMDiag.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\Mp***ent.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mim.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.985\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NI.UWFX5_0001_LP1014] "C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Weiss\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8TMRG5ER\WinFixer2005ScannerInstall[1].exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~3\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemOptimizer] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\loasbtli.dll",forkonce
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Clean Access Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Clean Access Agent\CCAAgent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: dlbcserv.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell Photo Printer 720\dlbcserv.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bytescout SWF To Video Scout - {7499D027-F5A1-47B5-A4BB-4AD354C3CBC4} - C:\Program Files\Bytescout SWF To Video Scout\flashextract.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {3BFFE033-BF43-11D5-A271-00A024A51325} (iNotes6 Class) - http://sln.lasalle.edu/iNotes6W.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - http://go.divx.com/plugin/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1157475945859
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/mcfscan/2,2,0,5081/mcfscan.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = explorer.local
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = explorer.local
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = explorer.local
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: DomainService - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\qtpbgtlx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe" /ServiceStart (file missing)
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: WLANKEEPER - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

They've gotten more annoying

yiLogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:21:01 PM, on 8/23/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.985\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NI.UWFX5_0001_LP1014] "C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Weiss\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8TMRG5ER\WinFixer2005ScannerInstall[1].exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemOptimizer] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\loasbtli.dll",forkonce
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - Startup: Clean Access Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Clean Access Agent\CCAAgent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: dlbcserv.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell Photo Printer 720\dlbcserv.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bytescout SWF To Video Scout - {7499D027-F5A1-47B5-A4BB-4AD354C3CBC4} - C:\Program Files\Bytescout SWF To Video Scout\flashextract.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {3BFFE033-BF43-11D5-A271-00A024A51325} (iNotes6 Class) - http://sln.lasalle.edu/iNotes6W.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - http://go.divx.com/plugin/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1157475945859
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/mcfscan/2,2,0,5081/mcfscan.cab
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: DomainService - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\qtpbgtlx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe" /ServiceStart (file missing)
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: WLANKEEPER - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

Fix these entries:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NI.UWFX5_0001_LP1014] "C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Weiss\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8TMRG5ER\WinFixer2005ScannerInst all[1].exe"

None of these should give the problem with pop-ups but they are unnecessary and should be deleted to clean up your system since they don't do anything.

I suspect that your problem is in your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) Post that and I can take I look at it.

Well that one blue screen of death problem is back

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATICEA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX01.391\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemOptimizer] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\jwoiwipx.dll",forkonce
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX8400 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATICEA.EXE /FU "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\E_SAF.tmp" /EF "HKCU"

Well that one blue screen of death problem is back

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATICEA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX01.391\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemOptimizer] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\jwoiwipx.dll",forkonce
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX8400 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATICEA.EXE /FU "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\E_SAF.tmp" /EF "HKCU"
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIC EA.EXE <--I don't know what this is. Do you?

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe <--Uninstall this from Add/remove programs.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NI.UWFX5_0001_LP1014] "C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Weiss\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8TMRG5ER\WinFixer2005ScannerInst all[1].exe" <--Fix this/delete

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemOptimizer] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\jwoiwipx.dll",forkonce <--I don't know what this is either

O9 - Extra button: Bytescout SWF To Video Scout - {7499D027-F5A1-47B5-A4BB-4AD354C3CBC4} - C:\Program Files\Bytescout SWF To Video Scout\flashextract.exe (file missing) <--Fix this

O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing) <--Fix this

O23 - Service: DomainService - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\qtpbgtlx.exe (file missing) <--Fix this

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIC EA.EXE <--I don't know what this is. Do you?

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemOptimizer] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\jwoiwipx.dll",forkonce <--I don't know what this is either

[/B]
no idea

I still don't know what the first file is (.exe) but it has EA in it's name so I have to ask, do you have any games made from EA installed on your computer?

Also I'm not sure about the second one but from a search about it many replies in threads that have this file in their HiJackThis! log seems to recommend that you download this program http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=4 and run it.

EDIT: Never mind about the last comment. I must be tired. It is part of SystemOptimízer that you apparently have installed on your computer and is not dangerous. Still wants to know about the first file though.

EDIT 2: Never mind again. The first file is part of your EPSON Stylus CX8400 Series drivers. Not dangerous in other words.

Edit 3 (I need to get some sleep):
Since you have WinFixer2005 in every log you post I found these removal instructions for you to get rid of them for good:

Removal Steps:

1. Please print these instructions as they will be needed later when Internet access is not available.

2. Save these instructions in word or notepad to the desktop where they can be easily found.

3. Download Vundo Fix and save it to your desktop.

4. When it has completed downloading, double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.

5. Click the Scan for Vundo button.

6. Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.

7. You will now receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click the YES button. Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.

8. When completed, it will prompt that it will shutdown your computer, click the OK button.

9. When the computer has shutdown, turn your computer back on.

The WinFixer and Vundo infection should now be removed from your computer.

If you are still having a problem then please perform the following steps.

This step should only be used if the instructions in the previous steps did not remove the infection:

1. Download VirtumundoBegone and save it to your desktop.

2. Now reboot into Safe Mode.

1. This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer

2. You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode.

3. Select safe mode with networking using your arrow keys on the keyboard and then press enter.

4. When you computer reaches the desktop make sure you log in as the same user which you had performed the previous steps,

3. Once you are logged into safe mode, double-click VirtumundoBeGone.exe file you just downloaded and follow the instructions.

4. Exit when it has finished, and reboot back to normal mode.

The WinFixer and Vundo infection should now be removed from your computer.

Last edited:

I think my monitor is broke. Everything was fine earlier.

Than I got up and came back later in a 5 minute period and the colors are off.

Everything is dull and the colors aren't as bright.

It hurts me eyes to look at. Does anyone have a suggestions or do I need a new monitor?

I think my monitor is broke. Everything was fine earlier.

Than I got up and came back later in a 5 minute period and the colors are off.

Everything is dull and the colors aren't as bright.

It hurts me eyes to look at. Does anyone have a suggestions or do I need a new monitor?

How old is it?

Did you check the settings and the plugs?

Are you sure your glasses weren't covered in Pepsi?

Latest posts

Back