Spider-Man Are any of these new BND villains any good?

I like Mr.Negative then again i always have a thing for mob-type villains.

Menace could have been better but i like his axe.

Amd we're getting screwball next issue.

Personally i'm glad we are getting new villains

New Villains simply for the sake of having new villains is never a good move.

None of these characters have anything in them that could possibly make them classic villains.

they would be decent if they were original

Mr. N is a kingpin wannabe, Menace is just the Red Goblin, and Freak is yet another dollar-store version of the Lizard (Stegron, Iguana, Komodo, etc.)

the only one that seems original is Diety, and it seems to me that it shouldn't have any place in Spider-Man's rogue gallery (from the jist of it it's like an ice god or something)

None of these characters have anything in them that could possibly make them classic villains.

One could have said the same thing about a guy named Doc Ock.....or Purple Man for that matter.

And i don't see how Mr.Negative is a kingpin wanna be , they don't have the same M.O and he's asian while Kingpin is white.

New characters are good....better than having the same old same old all the time.

And menace isn't a goblin....and seems to just want to make Jackpot look good.....or tried to .

One could have said the same thing about a guy named Doc Ock.....or Purple Man for that matter.

Not really, Ock was quite an original and cool villain back when he debuted.

And i don't see how Mr.Negative is a kingpin wanna be , they don't have the same M.O and he's asian while Kingpin is white.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Last edited:

I disagree. I think creating an environment where all the old villains are properly shelved so new villains must be created is something they should've done in the second year of each of the ongoing Ultimate titles.

I LOVE the fact that there won't be any of Spidey's villains for a year.

I am, however, supremely disappointed in the villains we have.

Mister Negative is a Batman or Daredevil villain - he's the leader of an organised crime group with a bizarre physical deformity/gimmick. He's not a particularly good Spidey villain at all. Also, the whole "the villain is a friend of Aunt May's" has been done many a time before.

The Menace is the Grey Goblin. They weren't allowed Green, Hob, or Demogoblin, so they just invented a new one. Which sucks a tremendous amount.

I'm not happy with the villains, but I am ecstatic with the creative direction.

I'm sort of looking forward to Menace's inevitable return so we can find out who the heck he is. Assuming he's someone we already know. Or even somebody new. I liked that we didn't find out in his first arc, like the Green Goblin.

And Freak looks terrible. The upcoming story about snowfall in New York looks more entertaining than this one.

I disagree. I think creating an environment where all the old villains are properly shelved so new villains must be created is something they should've done in the second year of each of the ongoing Ultimate titles.

Mister Negative is a Batman or Daredevil villain - he's the leader of an organised crime group with a bizarre physical deformity/gimmick. He's not a particularly good Spidey villain at all. Also, the whole "the villain is a friend of Aunt May's" has been done many a time before.

The Menace is the Grey Goblin. They weren't allowed Green, Hob, or Demogoblin, so they just invented a new one. Which sucks a tremendous amount.

there is already a Grey Goblin, Gabrielle Osbourne...though he may not exist anymore

Yeah a creative direction where they recycle old stories from the 80s.

You say its a good new direction to have new villains, but almost none of these villains are very interesting so what's the point.

Frankly there are a ton of B-list villains who have lacked a spot light. Yes, Doc
Ock, Gobby and Venom are over exposed, but why not focus on some B-list rogues? Why not do something with Shocker or something? Menace is just a rehash of the Hobgoblin mystery, how is that new and fresh?

New characters are good....better than having the same old same old all the time.

And menace isn't a goblin....and seems to just want to make Jackpot look good.....or tried to .

Menace is on a glider and looks like goblin, seems goblinish to me.

Ock and Purple Man were created in the 60s, before every idea for a villain was done a million times in comics, they are original considering the time frame.

Last edited:

You say its a good new direction to have new villains, but almost none of these villains are very interesting so what's the point.

Frankly there are a ton of B-list villains who have lacked a spot light. Yes, Doc
Ock, Gobby and Venom are over exposed, but why not focus on some B-list rogues? Why not do something with Shocker or something? Menace is just a rehash of the Hobgoblin mystery, how is that new and fresh?

Menace is on a glider and looks like goblin, seems goblinish to me.

Ock and Purple Man were created in the 60s, before every idea for a villain was done a million times in comics, they are original considering the time frame.

Still kinda corny characters at first glance.......until you learn about them.

Thing is .........Some of the villains didn't become cool some time later after their debut, very few are instantly ''great''

And Menace never claimed to be a goblin, the goblin aren't the only one's that use gliders.

Menace is in the same boat as Jack o'Lantern.

Also i failed to se this as a rehash of 80's stories.

I agree with bass.....besides Shocker stopped being a threat years ago, heck he(and Jack and constricter) got stomped by The Hood in Robbins first outing as the hood .

And hey i'm enjoying Spiedy for the first time in years so that's something.

Last edited:

Thing is .........Some of the villains didn't become cool some time later after their debut, very few are instantly ''great''

And Menace never claimed to be a goblin, the goblin aren't the only one's that use gliders.

except Jack O' Lantern has a clear visual distinction that seperate's him from the Goblin's, where as far as most people can tell Menace is just a new goblin

besides Jack O' Lantern and Mad Jack are Goblin's in denial

Yeah and old Jack never took off as character, he always seemed like goblin knock off, like this dude is the same.

Its not matter of corniness, its a matter of creativity. None of these new villains seem very creative, in the past 60 years almost every new idea for villains was been tried so its hard to come up with new ideas that don't seem like knock offs.

Menace screams Goblin knock off, he is Goblin in everything but name.

except Jack O' Lantern has a clear visual distinction that seperate's him from the Goblin's, where as far as most people can tell Menace is just a new goblin

besides Jack O' Lantern and Mad Jack are Goblin's in denial

Except the last one wich was the farthest thing from a goblin.

And Menace doesn't look like the GG's or the Hob's or a Demo for that matter.

We also don't know his full MO yet....so saying he's a goblin is just jumping to conclusions.

I want to know more about him before a draw a conclusion.

Judging a book by its cover is rude btw.

Yeah and old Jack never took off as character, he always seemed like goblin knock off, like this dude is the same.

Its not matter of corniness, its a matter of creativity. None of these new villains seem very creative, in the past 60 years almost every new idea for villains was been tried so its hard to come up with new ideas that don't seem like knock offs.

Menace screams Goblin knock off, he is Goblin in everything but name.

And you'd be wrong.

Kingsly was though as a knock off too ....but eventually got past that and some people consider him more of a threat than norman.

This dude isn't the same....again we know little....and your not even reading(judging by your thread post so i could be wrong) so you wouldn't really know anyway.

And you'd be wrong.

Kingsly was though as a knock off too ....but eventually got past that and some people consider him more of a threat than norman.

This dude isn't the same....again we know little....and your not even reading(judging by your thread post so i could be wrong) so you wouldn't really know anyway.

Kingsley befitted from Norman being out of the picture at the time, which really isn't the case now. Seriously after 4 or 5 Green Goblins, 3 Hobgoblins and one Demogoblin, I think everyone is goblined out.

Plus Menace rides a gilder and looks like a goblin, looks like the same MO to me. If they wanted Menace to be seen as goblin, they could have at least had the sense to not put him on a gilder. Its like having a Batman villain who does uses cards and toy weapons and other joke gimmicks and saying he is not a Joker clone.

Mr. Negative is really the only interesting one of the bunch so far, mainly because Kingpin is out of the picture and he can fit the role of gangster villain in Spidey's universe.

Last edited:
Kingsley befitted from Norman being out of the picture at the time, which really isn't the case now. Seriously after 4 or 5 Green Goblins, 3 Hobgoblins and one Demogoblin, I think everyone is goblined out.

Plus Menace rides a gilder and looks like a goblin, looks like the same MO to me. If they wanted Menace to be seen as goblin, they could have at least had the sense to not put him on a gilder. Its like having a Batman villain who does uses cards and toy weapons and other joke gimmicks and saying he is not a Joker clone.

Mr. Negative is really the only interesting one of the bunch so far, mainly because Kingpin is out of the picture and he can fit the role of gangster villain in Spidey's universe.

And again the Goblins aren't the only one's with gliders.

And how he look like a goblin? he doesn't look like the hob's or the G's.

And again i'd wait to learn more about the character....but i guess i'm the only one with patience here.

No no, you're thinking of the Ultimate universe.

But how can they be sure till they release them?

There might be some really exciting villains round the corner. Just because the first two out of the gate didn't work doesn't mean introducing new villains is a bad idea.

By that logic, the only Spider-villain in existence should be Chameleon. He worked in #1, surely then there's no point in creating more.

Just because these villains suck doesn't mean there's no point to creating them.

Frankly there are a ton of B-list villains who have lacked a spot light. Yes, Doc Ock, Gobby and Venom are over exposed, but why not focus on some B-list rogues? Why not do something with Shocker or something? Menace is just a rehash of the Hobgoblin mystery, how is that new and fresh?

It's not. Menace sucks. But the idea that inherently, bringing back an old crappy villain is better than inventing a new crappy villain doesn't work. If you're so happy to bring back the Hypno Hustler, bear this in mind: in 10 years someone will want to bring back the underused Menace. Will that be good?

Menace has a spiky glider that looks like a Goblin's glider, and has a hideous face.

He's the Grey Goblin. The only reason he's not called that is because there was already another Grey Goblin. It's supremely disappointed that the second new villain is a Goblin copy. I'm sick of the Goblin.

Also, Jack O'Lantern became a goblin (Hob or Demo I forget). He was totally the Pumpkin Goblin.

Weird looking, halloween themed villain on a glider = Goblin.

And hey i'm enjoying Spiedy for the first time in years so that's something.

I totally agree. I too am enjoying him for the first time since Morlun.

I've not read the new ones but was curious as to who that Menace was and saw this :

The glider + the insane laugh + the look of this overall costume = IMO he does look like some Mickey Mouse goblin. Me no like.

Latest posts

Back