Avengers vs X-Men (Spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
No one read this? I read issues #0 and #1 last night. It was OK, but nothing spectacular. Captain America wants to take Hope Summers into Protective custody from the Phoenix Force, Cyclops wants to keep her.

Why is she Hope Summers, by the way? She is Cable's kid? Adopted? I tried looking it up but got lost in the typical RIDICULOUS X-men gobbledygook. Worse for her because she's only been around for a few years. No character that new should have such a mess of stuff going on.

While this book didn't really do anything for me there is something that did - Avengers vs X-Men Infinite #1. It deals with Nova escaping the Phoenix Force and coming to Earth. Mark Waid - Marvel's best writer right now.

I didn't really know what the Marvel Infinite Comics were supposed to be but this was only 99 cents so I grabbed it. It's kind of like a cross between a regular comic in digital format and a motion comic. it's not like a movie like a motion comic but the story flows and progresses like one. Other than that I don't really know how to describe it...it IS something new and different but not drastically so. I like it and and 99 cents I'll probably get more. It has a lot of potential.

Re: Avengers vs X-Men (2012 12-part Event)

Yeah. I read this.

Not very good.

Not much to say aside from that.

Re: Avengers vs X-Men (2012 12-part Event)

Why is she Hope Summers, by the way? She is Cable's kid? Adopted? I tried looking it up but got lost in the typical RIDICULOUS X-men gobbledygook. Worse for her because she's only been around for a few years. No character that new should have such a mess of stuff going on.

She was raised by Cable in the future. Here's a rundown of the story:

Messiah Complex - Pretty much everyone in her town was wiped out by the purifiers (anti-mutant religious zealots) when she was born because she's the first mutant to be born since "M-Day" (aka House of M). Cable got to her first and protected her from everyone who was trying to kidnap or kill her (especially
Bishop - the possible dystopian future he grew up in is caused by Hope, so he wanted to kill her to prevent if from happening
).

Cable series/Messiah War - He goes into the future and raises her and protects her until she's a teenager and he brings her back to the present.

Second Coming - when he brings her back there's a giant war with Bastion, the purifiers, etc who all want to kill her, but in the end she defeats Bastion using some kind of huge energy flame burst (looks like the Pheonix force. This is the first time she's ever manifested her mutant abilities).

I haven't read anything since then. But to answer your question, her last name is Summers because Cable is the only father she ever knew.

That Infinite thing was great and I'm glad Mark Waid is actually experimenting with digital comics.

Let us never speak of the rest of this story.

#1 was OK. It just sets things up for the rest of the series. But I loved the art. I love JRjr's work and this was top notch IMO.

The Infinite issue was brilliant. The way it was done was incredible and amazing and I loved it. 5 stars, no doubt.

Infinite was great (and it was not Richard Rider, must be introducing that Sam Alexander into 616 too)

AVX #1 was ok not great

I haven't read it but my roomate got both 0 and 1 last week. My shop didn't realize that there was an embargo on 1 until i told him.

I don't really have high expectations. Way too many cooks strirring this soup.

That Infinite thing was great and I'm glad Mark Waid is actually experimenting with digital comics.

Let us never speak of the rest of this story.

Does anyone know what the schedule is for the Infinite issues? Are other people writing them? Is there one Infinite issue per regular issue? Have they announced Infinite issues for other books?

How do we know it isn't Richard rider?

It doesn't read like Rider at all

comes across way to young, likes dub step, likes the cardinals wich Rider has never mentioned much of an interest in sports at all, besides I can't think of a New York state based pro sports team called the cardinals and Riders from NY, etc.

i wasn't saying for sure, but i'm fairly certain

plus Marvel's reasoning for creating Sam Alexander for USM in the first place had something to do with not stepping on the toes of Novas sacrifice in the comics (no citation read it in some interview tho)

Anyone know how to read the infinate comics on PC. it only lets you see them the right way on a tablets . I want to read it on my pc. Is there a program ?

I don't understand the basic premise of this story. The Phoenix is coming and poses a threat to the universe, so they have to fight? I don't understand the point of the fighting. I know it's a superhero comic and people are going to fight, but if that is the desired end result why not build a story around it so that the fight makes sense so as to resolve the problem?

I don't understand the basic premise of this story. The Phoenix is coming and poses a threat to the universe, so they have to fight? I don't understand the point of the fighting. I know it's a superhero comic and people are going to fight, but if that is the desired end result why not build a story around it so that the fight makes sense so as to resolve the problem?
They're fighting because Captain America and the Avengers will absolutely not leave without Hope, the next host of the Phoenix, something they want to avoid at any cost. Cyclops will never Cap take Hope and wants the Phoenix to take her as the host. The fighting would have been inevitable because talking would only (and did) last for so long.

Because Cyclops has gone all fanatical and wants to try to control the Phoenix to save mutants...or something.

Last edited:
This story is actually starting out better than I expected. That may have to do with the fact that I had pretty low expectations. How many new ways can you fight the Phoenix Force with a new incarnation of essentially Jean? The only reason I even started this arc is cause my expectations weren't enough of a deterrent to have a huge gap in story continuity.

I'm somewhat torn on my allegiance so far. I love both sides, but prefer the X-Men slightly. At the same time, I find myself siding with Wolverine's views on the whole thing. The obvious answer is to go off of what was "shown" from people involving the future, but I doubt it's that simple. I absolutely HATE Cyclops, but I understand his desire to keep safe what he's fought so hard and sacrificed for. I loved Hope's role in Second Coming, but she has grown stale for me. I'm intrigued to see what direction this goes in.

In other news, was anyone able to checkout the first issue of AvX Infinite Comics? What was your take? There are still plenty of comics that I prefer to own tangible copies of. When I go to conventions, I'll buy specific issues if someone will be there to sign them. But being highly mobile in the Military, I enjoy the convenience of buying digitally and also having access to older, harder to find issues. Regardless, I found the issue with Nova to be exciting, innovative, and a fun take on what future digital media can become. Interactive comics, like the AvengersIronManMKVII app, is also a fun new storytelling idea.

This story is actually starting out better than I expected. That may have to do with the fact that I had pretty low expectations. How many new ways can you fight the Phoenix Force with a new incarnation of essentially Jean? The only reason I even started this arc is cause my expectations weren't enough of a deterrent to have a huge gap in story continuity.

I'm somewhat torn on my allegiance so far. I love both sides, but prefer the X-Men slightly. At the same time, I find myself siding with Wolverine's views on the whole thing. The obvious answer is to go off of what was "shown" from people involving the future, but I doubt it's that simple. I absolutely HATE Cyclops, but I understand his desire to keep safe what he's fought so hard and sacrificed for. I loved Hope's role in Second Coming, but she has grown stale for me. I'm intrigued to see what direction this goes in.
Yeah, they've done a damn good job of making it just about impossible to like Cyclops over the last few years. Of course I expect this to mean he's right in AvX because comic book writers do just love to screw with us.

In other news, was anyone able to checkout the first issue of AvX Infinite Comics? What was your take? There are still plenty of comics that I prefer to own tangible copies of. When I go to conventions, I'll buy specific issues if someone will be there to sign them. But being highly mobile in the Military, I enjoy the convenience of buying digitally and also having access to older, harder to find issues. Regardless, I found the issue with Nova to be exciting, innovative, and a fun take on what future digital media can become. Interactive comics, like the AvengersIronManMKVII app, is also a fun new storytelling idea.
I really liked what they did with the Infinite Comic as well. The only place I've seen things like that used are in Alex de Campi and Christine Larsen's Valentine, a free digital only series on Comixology. Little transitions do so much to bring the story to life.

And welcome to the site!

This book is just terrible, top to bottom. And this coming from someone who usually loves Aaron's writing.

But the Wolverine and the X-Men tie-in was magnificent.

Also, welcome nerd girl. Sorry you're wrong, but we allow that here, so you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back