Batman: Arkham City (spoilers!)

Re: Arkham Asylum Sequel.

This looks like it's funtime for Batman and Catwoman. I could see them being like this while they were in bed.

There are few things that could make this game better than being able to play as Hairy-Chested-Topless-Batman while making out with Catwoman.

ShirtlessBatman.jpg

(Yeah I know it's not her, but still).

Last edited:

I can't wait for this. I just finished the first game and am aching for more.

Ever since that cover surfaced, some people are guessing that a co-op feature will be availible, with Catwoman as Player 2. I could see it working well for the beat-em-up and exploration segments, but I'm not sure how it'd fare during the stealth sections.

I can't wait for this. I just finished the first game and am aching for more.

Ever since that cover surfaced, some people are guessing that a co-op feature will be availible, with Catwoman as Player 2. I could see it working well for the beat-em-up and exploration segments, but I'm not sure how it'd fare during the stealth sections.

Eh... I don't particularly want to see a 2 player coop mashed into the main story mode. However, there could be a lot of potential in a separate multiplayer mode in the same way that the first game had the challenge rooms. In particular, if the game is opened up a little more to offer divergent routes to reach your goals, there could be a lot of potential for some innovative cooperative or competitive play.

Eh... I don't particularly want to see a 2 player coop mashed into the main story mode. However, there could be a lot of potential in a separate multiplayer mode in the same way that the first game had the challenge rooms. In particular, if the game is opened up a little more to offer divergent routes to reach your goals, there could be a lot of potential for some innovative cooperative or competitive play.

I wouldn't mind it if it were optional in the game. Like it's a mode your turn on and off. Doesn't effect the story, maybe just adds more thugs to fight in an area. Though depending on how the game is etup that may be too difficult.

Though depending on how the game is etup that may be too difficult.

Yep. Multiplayer co-op would create all sorts of camera issues for one, that would mean the gameplay would have to be dumbed down to compensate. There were frequently platforming elements in the first game that required the full screen to be able to make sense of (like grappling sequences or gliding sequences) and if you added another character onto one screen, or if you split the screen in half, it wouldn't be possible to achieve the same effect.

And even if it is "optional", I'd wager that Rocksteady wouldn't want to make a game that has a cooperative mode that is drastically inferior to the one-player mode.

Yep. Multiplayer co-op would create all sorts of camera issues for one, that would mean the gameplay would have to be dumbed down to compensate. There were frequently platforming elements in the first game that required the full screen to be able to make sense of (like grappling sequences or gliding sequences) and if you added another character onto one screen, or if you split the screen in half, it wouldn't be possible to achieve the same effect.

And even if it is "optional", I'd wager that Rocksteady wouldn't want to make a game that has a cooperative mode that is drastically inferior to the one-player mode.

Those problems can be solve if co-op is online, which can make for awesome gameplay. But yeah split screen would not work.

In fact that could make for some awesome competition. Having fight and predator challenge with a set number of enemies, who can take out the most while working together

Last edited:

I'd love an online coop mode where the Bat family has to team up for an escalation type fight

An interesting IGN speculation article. They highlight a lot of the problems I have with co-op, while also suggesting a bunch of silly things with which I completely disagree (switching Detective Mode to a stylised b&w screen, for one; as well as any addition of Robin into the story).

This part was particularly notable, I think:

Hilary Goldstein: One last question for you Greg. We've talked about Batman allies and villains. But what about other DC guest stars. Should we be expecting any guest appearances from other DC Comics characters?

Greg Miller: No. It breaks the game if you do. Batman's world is so dark and hopeless to an extent. If Superman or Flash pops up with their bright colors, why don't they just solve the problem Batman's facing in the blink of an eye? This has to be a "man versus the freaks" type of thing. If it wasn't, they'd call it a JLA game, it would be set in space, and it would probably suck.

That's kind of the reason I don't want to see any sidekicks in the game as well. It really needs to keep being about Batman, in a lone, maddening fight against monstrous evil. The only allies he truly needs were in the first game. Catwoman should work as a foil in certain situations, but I don't want to see her as a co-op character or some kind of AI sidekick you have to rely on to advance to the next section of the game.

That's kind of the reason I don't want to see any sidekicks in the game as well. It really needs to keep being about Batman, in a lone, maddening fight against monstrous evil. The only allies he truly needs were in the first game. Catwoman should work as a foil in certain situations, but I don't want to see her as a co-op character or some kind of AI sidekick you have to rely on to advance to the next section of the game.

That sums up nicely why I don't really like the idea of sidekicks in the movies either.

Latest posts

Back