Batman: Arkham Origins

I think I was right to worry

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/batman-arkham-origins-announced

No Rocksteady ? :shock: Why? this will not end well I think.

I agree (to a degree, heh), but WB Montreal handled the Arkham City port to the Wii U and did a fantastic job of adding and expanding the use of gadgets and the Wii U gamepad, so at least they've got a fair amount of experience with the engine and world. Granted building a new game from the ground up is another story, but we'll have to wait to see.

I wonder what Rocksteady is working on instead? A completely new game, or possibly the actual sequel to Arkham City (since this is obviously a prequel). I can live with that if it's the case.

There's apparently also a spinoff game called Arkham Origins - Blackgate for the 3DS and Vita that occurs after the console game. I just may have to grab a handheld now to check that out. I'm such a whore for Arkham games. :)

Interesting that we'll get to see Deathstroke (who appeared in the iOS Arkham City Lockdown game) on the consoles. Also like that we may see other DC villains popping up.

Really liked the set up from the demo description of Bats investigating the double homicide where Black Mask and his girlfriend appear to be dead. The mystery aspect is definitely welcome.

Last edited:
I agree (to a degree, heh), but WB Montreal handled the Arkham City port to the Wii U and did a fantastic job of adding and expanding the use of gadgets and the Wii U gamepad, so at least they've got a fair amount of experience with the engine and world. Granted building a new game from the ground up is another story, but we'll have to wait to see.

I do love the U version I admit. I may even buy the prequel on it. I have doubts i know but i'll still give it a try

There's apparently also a spinoff game called Arkham Origins - Blackgate for the 3DS and Vita that occurs after the console game. I just may have to grab a handheld now to check that out. I'm such a whore for Arkham games. :)

A 2D Metroidvania! If they port it to consoles as a downloadable title, I'll buy it in a hot minute.

Who wants to bet Talia features as one of the assassins?

Last edited:
A 2D Metroidvania! If they port it to consoles as a downloadable title, I'll buy it in a hot minute.

Who wants to bet Talia features as one of the assassins?

Exactly, and made by some of the team who worked at Retro on the Prime games. I doubt they'll port it to consoles, but you never know. I'm definitely going to pick up a 3DS specifically to play it (or maybe just borrow my buddy's).

Was thinking, while Joker is dead at the end of AC and some are kind if glad about it (to allow for other villains to take the spotlight in future Arkham sequels), I'd kind of love it if at some point in this game a mission involves the events at Ace Chemicals which led to Joker's creation/transformation, and a final cinematic or post credits cinematic shows Joker for the first time. If for nothing else to kind of set up his status as Batman's greatest villain. Ideally he wouldn't be a major character (more like a cameo), since he got plenty of screentime in Asylum and City.

From all accounts this is very much a Year 1 story, with Batman being new and unrefined in his abilities, the GCPD not knowing Batman's allegiances also indicates he's only recently appeared in Gotham. I've read in the reports for Arkham Origins that it's set 2 to several years before Asylum so that'd indicate by the time of Asylum and City that Bats has been doing the vigilante thing for 4-6 years (also taking into account that City occurs about 6 months to a year after the events of Asylum).

Anyway, this allows for, as said, a sort of Year 1 approach and could hopefully feature some non-superpowered mob bosses like Carmine Falcone (maybe we'll see Dent turned into Two-Face somehow?), and Bats taking down those mob bosses in side quests in addition to taking on the eight assassins (one of which is Deadshot...any guesses on the other 7?). It could also feature Bats first meeting with Catwoman, and maybe, just maybe, the introduction of Dick Grayson.

Granted, some of the cliched introductions of characters in an origin story is perhaps played out a bit, but screw it. I love these games and characters, and think this is a great opportunity to set up the arcs we see these characters in by the time Asylum and City occur. Also, there's a little Easter egg in AC where if you talk to Calendar Man while playing Catwoman, he mentions Falcone (and alludes to him being her father), so perhaps this could be expanded on a tad in Origins.

After all, it is called Arkham Origins, so playing up to that title in regards to the character origins does make a certain sense.

I'd also like to see Batman's detective skills (and the player's) truly put to the test. Not just a series of small mysteries relating to specific side missions or Riddler challenges, but an overarching mystery requiring real thinking on behalf of the player to figure out. Granted, this is tough to pull off given the audience's abilities to figure it out. You can't make it too hard, but at the same time you want to present a challenge. I think this game can largely do that with the fact Batman's young, inexperienced, and lacks a lot of the gadgets he'll develop later in his career. This kind of handicaps his mystery solving skills and means he'll have to rely more on the old fashioned Sherlock approach.

Last edited:
So far I like everything I have heard. The story sounds good, although I wonder who else they will use as the 8 assassins (my money is on Deadshot and Talia being two of them, and Deathstroke already confirmed). I'm looking forward to seeing what Arkham City was like when it was part of Gotham before everything went to hell. I am a bit skeptical on how the 'unrefined younger' Batman will affect the gameplay, but we will see. I have faith that with the foundation that Rocksteady created WB Montreal will be able to do the characters and universe justice. Now just give me Clock King missions and I will be happy.

Bats taking down those mob bosses in side quests in addition to taking on the eight assassins (one of which is Deadshot...any guesses on the other 7?)

Yes to Joker's appearance as a cameo. As for tough detective work, make the really tough ones side missions. I'm curious to see how they plan on making the challenge missions more relevant, myself.

I think you mean Deathstroke, and wasn't it implied or outright stated in City that Bats hadn't run into Deadshot before? I'd go with

Deathstroke
KGBeast (with a crack squad of former spetsnaz who work as a unit and don't get scared. I'm pictured a sequence where you're chased through a network of abandoned tenements, forced to plant traps to take them out one by one)
Flamingo
Firefly (for all the reasons you mentioned a few posts back)
Talia/Lady Shiva/Shado the Archer (as the representation from the League of Shadows. Talia for the obvious reasons of fleshing out their history together)
Tommy Monaghan (Please guys. Do it)

My alternate is Cheshire, who's skill with poisons could provide some of the trademark hallucination sequences the games are known for.

Last edited:
Yes to Joker's appearance as a cameo. As for tough detective work, make the really tough ones side missions. I'm curious to see how they plan on making the challenge missions more relevant, myself.

I think you mean Deathstroke,

No I meant Deadpool.

and wasn't it implied or outright stated in City that Bats hadn't run into Deadshot before? I'd go with

Deathstroke
KGBeast (with a crack squad of former spetsnaz who work as a unit and don't get scared. I'm pictured a sequence where you're chased through a network of abandoned tenements, forced to plant traps to take them out one by one)
Flamingo
Firefly (for all the reasons you mentioned a few posts back)
Talia/Lady Shiva/Shado the Archer (as the representation from the League of Shadows. Talia for the obvious reasons of fleshing out their history together)
Tommy Monaghan (Please guys. Do it)

My alternate is Cheshire, who's skill with poisons could provide some of the trademark hallucination sequences the games are known for.

It always comes back to the drug-induced hallucinations with you. Maybe in this one Batman can shoot up some crank to take on the stronger villains, or PCP so he won't feel his hand breaking as he punches through reinforced glass windows to take down thugs. Hell, we may as well introduce Hunter S. Thompson as the new Robin, for that matter, and they can spend the latter half of the game inhaling ether and eating saffron.

I want Prometheus to be one of the assassins.

No I meant Deadpool.

Only if it's the Ryan Reynolds version.

DIrishB said:
It always comes back to the drug-induced hallucinations with you. Maybe in this one Batman can shoot up some crank to take on the stronger villains, or PCP so he won't feel his hand breaking as he punches through reinforced glass windows to take down thugs. Hell, we may as well introduce Hunter S. Thompson as the new Robin, for that matter, and they can spend the latter half of the game inhaling ether and eating saffron.

That's silly.

But Burroughs would make an awesome basis for a Bat-villain.

You know what else would be awesome? An action-puzzler where you have to selectively take a galaxy of drugs to overcome the various obstacles laid out before you.

I want Prometheus to be one of the assassins.

Young, inexperienced Batman vs. Prometheus?

Please, we all know who would win that match-up.

Last edited:
I'd kind of love it if at some point in this game a mission involves the events at Ace Chemicals which led to Joker's creation/transformation, and a final cinematic or post credits cinematic shows Joker for the first time. If for nothing else to kind of set up his status as Batman's greatest villain. Ideally he wouldn't be a major character (more like a cameo), since he got plenty of screentime in Asylum and City.

I just said something similar to a friend on Skype. I said make one of 8 assassins the red hood and show jokers origins. I was thinking sequel to origins shows he's joker but post credits works much better

Only if it's the Ryan Reynolds version.

RR is Deadpool.

That's silly.

But Burroughs would make an awesome basis for a Bat-villain.

You know what else would be awesome? An action-puzzler where you have to selectively take a galaxy of drugs to overcome the various obstacles laid out before you.

The Conservatives would **** themselves and go apoplectic.

I just said something similar to a friend on Skype. I said make one of 8 assassins the red hood and show jokers origins. I was thinking sequel to origins shows he's joker but post credits works much better

Yeah, I mean it's possible there'll be future Arkham games set between Origins and Asylum, exploring Batman's transition from wet behind the ears rookie vigilante to the legend he is by the time Asymum and City take place, as well as possibly allowing the development of his supporting cast and villains, but I'd expect after Origins we'll see the actual sequel to City on next gen consoles by Rocksteady. I have a feeling the reason there's an extra year of development time is to rewrite the engine code for the stronger next gen consoles.

Also, I think it'd be great if we actually got to see Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) in this game, before she's paralyzed by the Joker and becomes Oracle. Heck, a neat idea for a side mission would be to have Batman actively trying to dissuade her through non-violent means using gadgets to set up non-lethal obstacles for her to overcome (and also acting as a form of training/testing her abilities). The flip side of that could be getting the chance to play as Batgirl while overcoming those challenges, among others spread out around the city, a la the Catwoman missions from City.

You know "Batman Arkham" I'd love a spin-off called "Batman Arkham family" or something Just playing as Batgirl for that story , Dick for the robin to Nightwing , Catwoman starting off. In the game batman would be like Alfred or Oracle in the others where he is just giving you your tasks or in some a NPC your helping. Hell imagine if they also through "death in the family" adapted too and such. It's like Robin in Arkham city had a cool look and they talked about him training in ufc like fights to gain his skills. It would be cool to see that. Now sadly the "not playing as batman!" part of this idea might put people off but i'd love it.

You know "Batman Arkham" I'd love a spin-off called "Batman Arkham family" or something Just playing as Batgirl for that story , Dick for the robin to Nightwing , Catwoman starting off. In the game batman would be like Alfred or Oracle in the others where he is just giving you your tasks or in some a NPC your helping. Hell imagine if they also through "death in the family" adapted too and such. It's like Robin in Arkham city had a cool look and they talked about him training in ufc like fights to gain his skills. It would be cool to see that. Now sadly the "not playing as batman!" part of this idea might put people off but i'd love it.

What?

Eh, if they're going to call it Arkham Family and include all his various allies as playable characters, they should probably also include him as a playable character for at least a portion of the game. It'd be kind of a curveball to call it a Batman game but not only not feature him as a playable character, but likely not even seen, only heard over a radio. I say just take the Harley Quinn's Revenge route and switch off between the various characters.

But anyway, I'm pumped for this, and really looking forward to seeing what Rocksteady is working on. I'd prefer them to be working on a next gen sequel to AC, but even if not and they're working on something new, they've made me a fan of their studio through the first two Arkham games. Will definitely be checking out their future endeavors, Batman or not.

I'm also hoping DC Direct keeps doing figures based on the series. Would love to see a Black Mask, Deadshot, and whoever else appears in this game (and with 8 assassins, Black Mask, and tertiary characters, I'm thinking they can squeeze at least 3 or 4 waves out of this game alone). ;)

Latest posts

Back