Batman: Arkham Origins

Kevin Conroy will be voicing Batman in Arkham Origins

I never had any doubt. While there's never been a truly definitive cinematic version of Batman, there certainly has been in terms of animation and video games, and that's Mr. Conroy. It just wouldn't be right without him.

Well, SuperHeroHype was wrong. Looks like Conroy isn't voicing Batman in Origins. Roger Craig Smith (Ezio in Assassin's Creed, Chris Redfield in Resident Evil 6) will be voicing Batman.

Kevin Conroy ISN'T voicing Batman in Origins...instead Ezio is

While I'd much prefer Conroy, I loved Smiths work as Ezio, and think he can do a good job as the younger Batman.

Also interesting, as pointed out by the article, is that Conroy said he would be working on the next Arkham game. Now, this could either mean he's voicing a different character in Origins (though not really sure why they'd keep him on only to play someone else given how much the fans love him as Bats), or perhaps he's voicing Batman in the actual sequel to Arkham City, hopefully being developed by Rocksteady behind closed doors. Really hope it's the latter.

Also, recent character reveals show Joker, Bane, and Anarky will be in the game.

So that has: Black Mask, Penguin, Bane, Joker, Anarky as villains/side-missions, and so far we only know of two assassins out to get Batman, Deadshot and Deathstroke.

Last edited:
Yep, looks like Arkham 3 (or whatever the direct sequel to Arkham City will be named) is in development, and Kevin Conroy will return as Batman in that game

Still don't get why they didn't have him as Batman in Origins as well, but whatever. Good news all around:

We get Origins and its spinoff, Blackgate this October. Then it seems we can look forward to the sequel/continuation of Arkham City on next gen consoles, so likely next year in 2014 (since its obvious WB want to make this a yearly franchise and will likely switch off development between studios to do so). I think the plan is to keep WB Montreal developing prequel or interquel games, and I think Rocksteady will do Arkham 3 and likely move onto new projects, allowing another studio to possibly step in and continue the story or possibly focus on spin-offs.

So, think over the next few years we can look forward to:

2013 - Arkham Origins (by WB Montreal) and Origins - Blackgate for handhelds

2014 - Arkham 3/Arkham City direct sequel by Rocksteady

2015 - likely another Arkham prequel game, possibly set between Origins and Asylum (by WB Montreal)

2016 - continuation of plot lines from Arkham 3 or completely new direction with new studio taking over

And WB will likely alternate games between WB Montreal and whatever new studio takes over.

I'd be happy to conclude the franchise with Arkham 3. I don't want it to go the Assassins creed route and drive itself into the ground.

2013 - Arkham Origins (by WB Montreal) and Origins - Blackgate for handhelds

2014 - Arkham 3/Arkham City direct sequel by Rocksteady

2015 - Batman Beyond

2016 - continuation of plot lines from Arkham 3 or completely new direction with new studio taking over

And WB will likely alternate games between WB Montreal and whatever new studio takes over.

Fixed.

I'd be happy to conclude the franchise with Arkham 3. I don't want it to go the Assassins creed route and drive itself into the ground.

Agreed. I've loved the games so far, but honest, I feel like the story hasn't been that great in either of the games so far. Two year plans with two studios devoted to the franchise isn't a bad thing ,but I feel like keeping one studio on a franchise for a decade is just testing exhaustion. I'd rather see Origins, then a sequel from Rocksteady that wraps up all the loose ends possible and takes advantage of the capabilities of the new console, and then both teams moving on to something new.

Speaking to one of your earlier points, DiB, an animated series by Timm seems like a waste. I've liked the Arkham games. They've done a great job of interpreting the characters in a way that works for video games, but are these interpretations of the characters really interesting enough to warrant a whole series of animated spin-offs? Are the specific Arkham versions of these characters fascinating enough to justify spin-off into other mediums? To me, they seem specifically catered to video games, but not interesting enough for expansion. I could see a series of shorts in the style of the Animatrix or that Dark Knight anime-produced DVD release, but nothing beyond that.

Last edited:

Oh, but that's what games do nowadays. If it makes money, they're gonna squeeze every potential penny from the franchise.

That said, even if the writing/storylines begin to completely suck, while that would draw away from the game the gameplay itself is still rock solid. Rocksteady created a fantastic combat engine, and improved it in AC. Granted new things should be tried, and they will be. But WB realizes they've got a hit series on their hands and its not going away anytime soon.

I'd be ok with that. I've never watched the show and don't understand the love of it some people have, but that's only because I've never watched it, not that I think it isn't deserving. I really don't know.

Agreed. I've loved the games so far, but honest, I feel like the story hasn't been that great in either of the games so far. Two year plans with two studios devoted to the franchise isn't a bad thing ,but I feel like keeping one studio on a franchise for a decade is just testing exhaustion. I'd rather see Origins, then a sequel from Rocksteady that wraps up all the loose ends possible and takes advantage of the capabilities of the new console, and then both teams moving on to something new.

Again, the strength of the Arkham games isn't the storyline, but the gameplay. Of course, stronger writing could only make the games better, so I'm all for that. And again, I do think Rocksteady will make Arkham 3 and then move on, but I think WB Montreal will be doing Arkham games for the forseeable future.

Speaking to one of your earlier points, DiB, an animated series by Timm seems like a waste. I've liked the Arkham games. They've done a great job of interpreting the characters in a way that works for video games, but are these interpretations of the characters really interesting enough to warrant a whole series of animated spin-offs? Are the specific Arkham versions of these characters fascinating enough to justify spin-off into other mediums? To me, they seem specifically catered to video games, but not interesting enough for expansion. I could see a series of shorts in the style of the Animatrix or that Dark Knight anime-produced DVD release, but nothing beyond that.

Bruce Timm makes just about everything he touches awesome, so yes, a series, mini-series, or even just a DVD with a series of short films set in the Arkham verse would be a worthwhile effort from both a marketing angle (especially a marketing angle), but also from a storytelling angle. For one, the Arkhamverse is largely still a blank slate in terms of the characters (depending on what point in the series timeline you explore), and with quality writing could provide some fantastic stories like the original Batman Animated Series did with Mr. Freeze's origin, for example. Secondly, given the exciting combat the games are known for, a CGI series (it'd work better and look better than traditional 2D animation) which looked essentially like the trailer above would get phenomenal ratings. Now, there may be limits on the number of episodes you'd be able to produce with that level of detail, but even an extremely short 4-6 episode season would do gangbusters in ratings and DVD sales, and hopefully justify itself from a storytelling angle as well. Lastly, I do think the Arkham versions are interesting enough (or have the potential to be) to justify exploring stories about them in a CGI show, and certainly in a visual sense. Ideally it'd be aimed at a PG-13 crowd, nothing too childish but nothing overtly mature either. It's something I'd pay to see, and think many other fans of the games would as well.

Not everything needs to have pretentious over the top justifications for existing. ;)

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
I'd be ok with that. I've never watched the show and don't understand the love of it some people have, but that's only because I've never watched it, not that I think it isn't deserving. I really don't know.

Honestly, I haven't either, but it seems like it could open up a lot of interesting gameplay and narrative possibilities, and eventually (soon, probably) modern day Gotham will grow old as a setting. I'd be down for a big neon Metropolis, a Batman with all sorts of cool futuristic gadgets, and a fresh roster of villains, especially if they play on the apocalyptic warnings from AC and mix in some weirdo Morrison villains. A game set in Santa Prisca could be a cool change of pace too.

DIrishB said:
Again, the strength of the Arkham games isn't the storyline, but the gameplay. Of course, stronger writing could only make the games better, so I'm all for that. And again, I do think Rocksteady will make Arkham 3 and then move on, but I think WB Montreal will be doing Arkham games for the forseeable future.

I'm just worried they'll run the series into the ground. I'm really liking the look of Origins, but I'm worried they're going to start milking the annualized release schedule with only minor improvements and alterations. The mechanics in Arkham City are innovative and a lot of fun. But then, the same thing could be said about Tony Hawk and Assassin's Creed and Spider-Man. If we're lucky, this rumored "Batman and Friends: Silver Age" game Rocksteady is allegedly working on will open the door for other DC characters getting games and they won't have to rely on churning out a new Batman game every year. :D Or if we're REALLY lucky, they'll make my Jack Kirby Resurrection Man game.

But yeah. I like this series, and I want it to stick around for a long time and continue to grow. I don't want to see it burn out after a few years.

DIrishB said:
Not everything needs to have pretentious over the top justifications for existing. ;)

Who said anything about pretentious? I just don't care enough about the story to want an animated series based on meathead Batman and his foes (especially if they used the video game CGI style. yuck). I'd much rather see them devote those resources to an original Batman interpretation.

Last edited:
Honestly, I haven't either, but it seems like it could open up a lot of interesting gameplay and narrative possibilities, and eventually (soon, probably) modern day Gotham will grow old as a setting. I'd be down for a big neon Metropolis, a Batman with all sorts of cool futuristic gadgets, and a fresh roster of villains, especially if they play on the apocalyptic warnings from AC and mix in some weirdo Morrison villains. A game set in Santa Prisca could be a cool change of pace too.

I was worried you were describing the Schumacher approach there, for a minute. That does sound interesting though.

I'm just worried they'll run the series into the ground. I'm really liking the look of Origins, but I'm worried they're going to start milking the annualized release schedule with only minor improvements and alterations. The mechanics in Arkham City are innovative and a lot of fun. But then, the same thing could be said about Tony Hawk and Assassin's Creed and Spider-Man. If we're lucky, this rumored "Batman and Friends: Silver Age" game Rocksteady is allegedly working on will open the door for other DC characters getting games and they won't have to rely on churning out a new Batman game every year. :D Or if we're REALLY lucky, they'll make my Jack Kirby Resurrection Man game.

I don't know, the sad truth is the limited amount of gameplay improvements and techniques haven't hurt the Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty series. That said I'm not encouraging them to just phone it in, and would like to see new and interesting gameplay techniques that fit in and expand on the storylines in those games. And I'm sure we'll get that in small doses, unfortunately, spread out across multiple games so they can at least advertise each new game as having something "new".

But yeah. I like this series, and I want it to stick around for a long time and continue to grow. I don't want to see it burn out after a few years.

Who said anything about pretentious? I just don't care enough about the story to want an animated series based on meathead Batman and his foes (especially if they used the video game CGI style. yuck). I'd much rather see them devote those resources to an original Batman interpretation.

I was only messing with you, Mr. Sensitive. As for the Arkham story or "meathead" Batman, I think that's a bit unfair. It's tough to convey an emotional and deep and interesting story in a game based around combat like the Arkham games are. I do hope we'll see more immersive detective techniques and skills explored in future games, and some stronger writing can certainly convey the characters in a better and more interesting light. But a limited television series or straight to DVD movie can do these things also, build on the characters introduced in the games as well as the world. Allow a bit more exploration of perhaps the Origins of some of these versions of the characters (did Joker fall into a vat of Nickelodeon goo like in all the other versions, or something different, something a bit more original? Just how did Mr. Freeze get like that? Did Two-Face receive his scars from acid thrown in a court case by vengeance seeking mobsters, or perhaps they could take a slightly different rout which allows for a certain measure of Harvey's own self-destruction and ego leading to his disfigurement like in The Dark Knight film.) it's just an opportunity to try new things with the characters.

And you'd hate the CGI style? Jesus, why? Those trailers are beautiful, and that style would do a much better job of translating the combat than traditional 2D animation. The 2D animation has also been done to death. We got like 15 years of it in the Batman and Justice League cartoons, not to mention that Gotham Knights DVD you mentioned. Why not try the CGI angle? One, its a new approach, and two, it helps tie it more directly into the Arkham universe from which its spun-off, and three, simpletons will be more impressed just as they are by pretty graphics in games (even at the cost of innovative gameplay, unfortunately). That isn't to say story quality should or can be sacrificed, just that CGI can go a long way in terms of making it look incredible, tonally realistic, and different than boring 2D animation.

Agree. I say two more games at most. Have the last one be with McGinnis. I was thinking they could do a story where Harley finds a way to bring the Joker back from the dead. And in the end it comes down to Bruce Wayne having to find the strength to put on the bat suit and take the Joker down for the last time.

Last edited:
I'm still not a fan of the "Armored Batman". It's like RoboCop with a cape.

Which when you say that aloud doesn't sound like a bad thing per se.....

Agree. I say two more games at most. Have the last one be with McGinnis. I was thinking they could do a story where Harley finds a way to bring the Joker back from the dead. And in the end it comes down to Bruce Wayne having to find the strength to put on the bat suit and take the Joker down for the last time.

I'm down for Batman Beyond, but I'm vehemently against anything involving resurrecting the Joker in some contrived way. Plus, as has been said and is something I totally agree with, Joker being dead allows a chance for other Batman Villains to bask in the limelight. Don't get me wrong, I love Joker, but I don't want Rocksteady or a studio taking over for them pissing all over the gravity of Arkham City's ending by resurrecting the guy. It's a bad idea, tonally, thematically, and realistically.

That said, we'll see plenty of Joker in Origins and the other inevitable Arkham prequel games. Origins takes place in Batman's second year, and Asylum in his tenth, City in his eleventh, so there's plenty of time they can cover in terms of exploring the franchise in future games. And any set before City (which will probably be the majority) can feature Joker, at least in a minor capacity (he was already the main villain in the first two games, and is appearing in Origins, so lets leave room for the others).

I still love you, Watcher, but we need to move on past Joker. And we can do it...together.

**grabs Watcher's hand and they slowly walk off into the sunset...away from a massive explosion**

I'm still not a fan of the "Armored Batman". It's like RoboCop with a cape.

Which when you say that aloud doesn't sound like a bad thing per se.....

Origins opens with Batman being shot 487 times by gangster punks. But they rebuild him.

I still need to play the other two games. I have them both, but I don't play video games a whole lot. I'm still trying to finish Skyward Sword.

I still need to play the other two games. I have them both, but I don't play video games a whole lot. I'm still trying to finish Skyward Sword.

Once you begin playing you'll probably be hooked after your first taste of the combat mechanics. It happens very early in in Arkham Asylum, then you spend the next 1/3 mixing the combat and getting to know/use the general devices/tools he uses, and it all blends together wonderfully. It definitely has a Super Metroid (if it were in 3 dimensions, which I suppose makes it reminiscent of the Metroid Prime series) vibe to it in terms of exploration and retreading areas you've been to so you can explore and obtain new items with the stuff you didn't previously have, but is definitely its own creature with the incredibly well done combat engine.

And just wait until you try Arkham City, where that combat it improved upon and you're able to play as Catwoman, Robin, and even Nightwing (in the challenges maps). Their respective combat styles and weapons make it a noticeably different and well rounded experience versus only playing as Batman (which in and of itself is exciting, fun, and awesome on every level). The AC ending is quite well done, nice twist and a surprise end (hope you haven't been spoils on it).

I like the gameplay. But everything orgins seems more like city was which is very "beat 'em up" i preferred the focus been more thinking and stealth of asylum.

I like the gameplay. But everything orgins seems more like city was which is very "beat 'em up" i preferred the focus been more thinking and stealth of asylum.

Well I think Origins will certainly have more "thinking" in terms of the greater detective skills and gadget usage to figure stuff out. AC had that (and AA) as well to some degree, just think it'll be expanded in this one. Also, it's very possible there'll be a greater aspect of stealth required at some points. AA had that more only because you were in smaller enclosed areas (since the game took place indoors for a large part), but AC had that as well in terms of hiding from snipers shooting at you long range, etc. We'll see, these games are always enjoyable so I'm sure there'll be few complaints once its released. Also looking forward to checking out Blackgate, trying to decide if I should buy a 3DS or PS Vita to play it. Any recommendations in that regard?

trying to decide if I should buy a 3DS or PS Vita to play it. Any recommendations in that regard?

Depends what your looking for. IMO buy a vita if you are planning on getting ps4 so you can take full advantage of the duel screen. Otherwise 3DS as it has bigger and better games collection as it has 3ds games, ds games and ds virtual console games

Depends what your looking for. IMO buy a vita if you are planning on getting ps4 so you can take full advantage of the duel screen. Otherwise 3DS as it has bigger and better games collection as it has 3ds games, ds games and ds virtual console games

Good suggestions. I'm still mulling it over. Realistically I'll likely get the Vita since it'll (I think) end up looking sharper than the 3DS for this game. Then again, if there ends up being a future Metroid game for the 3DS (which really should happen), it'd make more sense for me to get a 3DS. I'll probably go with the 3DS only because, as you said, bigger game library and hopefully possibility of a future Metroid game on it.

Latest posts

Back