Batman Begins (Movie spoilers)

ultimatedjf said:
I had a feeling you where gonna say that. See, there was a bit of a sound problem and that part got a little messed. :(

Oooooh. What a crappy moment for that to happen.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't miss that bit. My bladder was nearly bursting then, and by the time Bruce was trapped in the fire, I needed to go. If I han't, I would have pissed out a galleon of piss all over the movie.

thee great one said:
I'm going to go see this for a 2nd time tonight. :rockon:

I saw it twice the first day... including the midnight showings....

hehe...

But yeah, Liam Neeson made a fantastic Ra's.

here's something you guys might find interesting, got this from Batman-On-Film.com. Its the latest in a string of reports that they've got a Joker.

MOVIEHOLE said:
"Australian radio presenter Chris Murray (MMM) is reporting that Lachy Hulme 'is now a 98% certainty to play The Joker' following reports back from the US that Hulme had to decline his invitation to the US premiere of BATMAN BEGINS because of his shooting schedule in the upcoming M for director Geoffrey Wright. Murray commented: 'They wouldn't be inviting him to the opening unless they wanted him for the part.'" Interesting stuff. Reps for Hulme responded with a very firm: "No comment."

hulmelachy.jpg

Thats the culprit they're thinking about. I don't know much about him, but I do think he could easily look the part with some make-up and a grin....

Other people who have been supposedly under consideration are Steve Buschemi, Jude Law, and Robin Williams....

Robin would be the only one of those three who I wouldnt mind as the joker, but they'd need to have a VERY tight leash on him.

I -really- wish they'd go for Mark Hammil. If he were to work out a bit, he'd NAIL the role without a doubt...

Here's a recent pic of him ---->
Mark_Hamill.jpg

This is the guy who's voiced the animated Joker since the first Season of the Batman Animated Series (Batman, that is, not "The Batman"). He'd be the best choice...

Isn't he Luke Skywalker? And he's like in his fiftes now I think.

If they do the Joker in the next Batman movie, I hope they give him a very dark and more sinister look. Something like this.

I also hope they have him run into the Scarecrow and get sprayed with the fear gas, just to show he is so insane he has no fear and then have him beat the hell out of Crane (thats how Crane is captured maybe). Have Batman see it to, so he knows that his greatest weapon, criminals fear of him, is totally useless against the Joker. Thats always been one of the draws of the character for me, and the fact he is pretty much the only person who makes it a point of getting Bats attention.

Entropy said:
Goodwill

Here you go, hope this helps. I'm not sure if I missed someone in a smaller cameo but these are the major villians/rogues that did make an appearance. In short, yes there were some very prominent villians shown here that have a large section of Batman lore revolving around them (especially Ra's).

The Scarecrow - Jonathan Crane. In the comics, as opposed too the movie, Crane was not the head of Arkham Asylum, but he was a psychologist who specialized in fear. Alot of how he's portrayed is pretty close too the comics, but there are some differences. For instance, while the movie simply has him wearing a mask (which looks awesome) in the comics he wears a mask in addition too a tall floppy hat and patchwork get-up that looks like a scarecrows. He also usually dispenses his fear-gas from a device that looks like a squeezable skull (but he has used many other methods, such as darts, serums, ect.) Overall, I really love the way they treated Scarecrow in the movie. Cillian Murphy was the perfect choice I think. Charismatic but incredibly creepy, with the wirey frame and "spooky" complexion (pale skin, dark hair, ect).

Oh, just for an interesting fact, in the comics, while quite a few people can outfight the fear effects his toxins bring on, there is only one person that I definitely know of that has shown a total resistance too the fear-gas. The Joker. Scarecrow sprayed him once and Joker preceded too beat the hell out of him with a chair.

Ra's Al Ghul - Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams created Ra's back in the early 70s during their definitive Batman run. He was meant too kinda be the ultimate threat to Batman, someone who rivaled him in knowledge, ability, resources, power and belief in mission. Ra's mission is of course too rebalance the Earth by reducing the human populace. While the movie has this same mission, comicbook Ra's is more large-scale in his attempts while the movie made him more surgical. Still, almost everything else is the same but there are a few differences. One was the Lazarus Pits. Comicbook Ra's is immortal and these things are the secret too it. While the movie didn't show these or hint at them, there is still the possibility they exist and could be introduced later on. It would also allow for Ra's too return from the dead in a sequel since they can restore life, but I doubt this will happen. Still, Ra's did speak as if he had been living and using the League of Shadows for centuries in the movie, so who knows.

The other major element was Talia, Ra's daughter. She was a long-standing love interest too Bats and Ra's had deemed Bruce worthy of his daughter and of being his successor. She was also an incredibly skilled assassin. I will note that it was at least hinted at that she could exist since Ra's spoke of his wife (her death is also taken from the comics, see Son of the Demon). I understand why they didn't feature her, but I hope she makes an appearance in a later film, she has such a great character and history.

Overall I was really impressed with Ra's handling and think they nailed it. BTW, the stories by O'Neil/Adams featuring him (as well as their overall Batman run) were fantastic. I recommend reading them if possible through reprinting or back-issues.

Zsasz - Zsasz or Mr. Zsasz is a serial killer with a kind of existential view of life. He was a wealthy individual but lost everything and was going to kill himself but decided to kill others after he was almost mugged in the process of suicide. He views killing you as freeing you. Every time he kills someone, he carves a tallymark into his skin (a pity they weren't more prominently displayed but they are visible if you look at him closely). He's a creepy guy and makes for a great story when written right. His origins are different in the movie of course, but his character and methods are obviously the same. I was elated too see him show up.

Carmine "The Roman" Falcone - Pretty much the same as shown in the movie. Falcone was the last old-school crimeboss in Gotham and ran the underworld (along with the rest of the city) when Batman was making his debut (see Year One). He was killed off when Bats traditional rogues came onto the scene (can't remember issues for this).

also, Joe Chill comes from the Pre-Crisis Batman universe. Batman eventually did discover who killed his parents (Chill). Batman resisted the urge for revenge though and turned Chill in (pretty sure this is the full story, I don't have the story myself I've gotten it secondhand. I can check it out a little more though).

ManWithoutFear : There's no reason to be ashamed, we all get mixed up. Danny Elfmann and John Williams are both brilliant composers and I am a huge fan of both. Movies are my religion though, so I usually catch all the little things ;).

Was Ra's in the cartoon series a lot? I think I know who you're talking about now... He had a daughter there too and tried to turn himself into an immortal all of the time. Awesome, I actually know who you are talking about.

Also, I don't remember ever seeing a Zsasz...

So, they are going to make a sequel? I thought this just led into Returns...

Goodwill said:
Was Ra's in the cartoon series a lot? I think I know who you're talking about now... He had a daughter there too and tried to turn himself into an immortal all of the time. Awesome, I actually know who you are talking about.

Also, I don't remember ever seeing a Zsasz...

So, they are going to make a sequel? I thought this just led into Returns...

Ra's was in the TV Series. Zsasz, the sadomasichist Serial Killer, didn't make the cut...

And Christian Bale is signed on for three movies. This is meant to be the beginning of a franchise.

And yes, that is Luke Skywalker, and he's been the ONLY joker for the past decade. He's in shape recently, and could easily pull it off. I mean, he's younnger than Gary Oldman (Gordon).

I don't think he'll look the part. I mean his voice is perfect. I don't want to see Robin Williams either cause they wouldn't make a good Joker. Maybe they can get Jim Carrey? :wink:

thee great one said:
I don't think he'll look the part. I mean his voice is perfect. I don't want to see Robin Williams either cause they wouldn't make a good Joker. Maybe they can get Jim Carrey? :wink:

Mark Hammil-er, no.....i think. I don't know if he'd make a good JOker.

Robin Williams-...................... :shock: gooood noooooo!!!!

Dr.Strangefate said:
Ra's was in the TV Series. Zsasz, the sadomasichist Serial Killer, didn't make the cut...

And Christian Bale is signed on for three movies. This is meant to be the beginning of a franchise.

And yes, that is Luke Skywalker, and he's been the ONLY joker for the past decade. He's in shape recently, and could easily pull it off. I mean, he's younnger than Gary Oldman (Gordon).

Cool I know who Ra's is now! That's pretty cool... I recongnized a DC rogue! :) I'm getting good at this stuff.

Also, I meant in the movie... I don't remember any serial killers in the movie. I do remember Falcone, the mob boss, who I thought was the person that Bruce sat down with when he returned to Gotham, but then, since he was slitting his wrists, he could be Zsasz, too... Could someone help out here? :innocent:

I'm assuming Skywalker was the voice of Joker in the animated series. I think he's got the voice, but the look is definitely off. Also, Carey would be a good candidate, but he already took up Riddler, I wouldn't want him to do another Batman villain. Besides, he gets old real fast... I think we'll need a character that will be able to balance between insane and sinister, like whoever played the Scarecrow in this one. How about that guy who played Hamlet in the mid-90's? Kenneth Branagh. That's the guy... I believe he also played Gilderoy Lockehart in the Harry Potter films. He could be a good candidate, I believe... He's got the look and is capable of a lot of things. His acting ability is broad. We'll see, though... Lachy Hulme looks like he could do a good job, too.

That's really great that they are going to do three films with this. I really liked Begins, and hopefully, the sequels will be good, too. I think Bale did a really good job with the role and it's great that the Batman films are back to the quality they should be. Looking forward to the rest of them!

...Hnh.

And here I was, with the anti-dc attitude, although I did always hold respect for batman, and was blown away.

I saw the movie on a whim, and wow I didn't expect it to totally floor me. This is up to par with spider-man... I got the same awesome feeling watching this as I did spider-man. Spidey being my favorite superhero gives me the biased opinion of which I like more, but wow batman was damn close. It made me want to buy batman comics. Last night I had a dream I had his freaking cape. (I'm not lieing, it was sweet. Okay, maybe a bit weird...)

At any rate, as far as looks go, as long as they were slim most could probably play the joker physically. The amount of makeup the character has on could easily alter aging Robin Williams and make him look pretty decent. Even skywalker. I defend RW because hes one of my favorite actors.

I just hope they have the same writer/director for the next two.

Just wow.

I found the pic posted over on the IMDB boards for Batman Begins. About pissed myself when it popped up on the screen actually it spooked me so.

Hamill is great doing the Joker-voice and attitude, but I just don't think he has the right look for it onscreen. Personally I think if Crispin Glover dropped about 20 pounds (so he looked even more gaunt and skinny) and had make-up on like that picture he would be ideal as the Joker. Both the right look and the perfect ability.

Yeah, after seeing the movie, I definitely wanted to check into Batman comics, although it's probably too late for that. I wish DC would just Ultimize him already!

Haha, when i look at that pic i think that Marilyn Manson would be pretty awesome as the Joker :shock:

Latest posts

Back