Batman Beyond vs. Spider-Man Unlimited

i just find it funny people are defending spiderman unlimited, batman beyond was one of the best commerical sucess that DC could have hoped for. it pretty much put batman back on the map, for the older generation. with its darker storyline. spiderman was juz never there, it was too colorful and happy to fit into any mainstreem sucess

i just find it funny people are defending spiderman unlimited, batman beyond was one of the best commerical sucess that DC could have hoped for. it pretty much put batman back on the map, for the older generation. with its darker storyline. spiderman was juz never there, it was too colorful and happy to fit into any mainstreem sucess

No the defence is is not a rip-off. I liked Unlimited but I can admit it sucked but it was not a rip off

Though Why Joe Kalicki was so distraught by this question he thought it deserved it's own thread I'll never know. I swear that garfield minus garfield comic is based on Joe's life. I can almost picture it

Though Why Joe Kalicki was so distraught by this question he thought it deserved it's own thread I'll never know. I swear that garfield minus garfield comic is based on Joe's life. I can almost picture it

:shock: :lol:

+1,024 Ourchair Points.

Well Batman Beyond was infinetly better, but as a kid I enjoyed Unlimited more.

you guys are seriously arguing about this?

seriously?

The main thing they have in common was that they were mediocre remixes of superior shows that existed prior to them.

case closed.

Spider-Man Unlimited was ****. Batman Beyond was pretty awesome.

We need a moderator to change the title of this thread to "Joe Kalicki is a Dick".

Gemini said:
you guys are seriously arguing about this?

seriously?

The main thing they have in common was that they were mediocre remixes of superior shows that existed prior to them.

case closed.

He's right, you know. Gemini won this thread.

Last edited:
would that be Vol. 11 or Vol. 12? I lost track

It would be the King-Sized, All-Star Annual, featuring 5 additional "What If?" Joe Kalicki Is A Dick stories and DVD-style special features, including storyboarding by ssjmole, and a cooking class by Robert Rodriguez. I'll be playing R.Rod.

Last edited:
Terry McGinnis wasn't characterised like Spider-Man at all. He was a dark, edgy, troubled teen that didn't get good grades in school and had no problem getting dates. It was just his surroundings and the personal problems he found himself in (having to leave his girlfriend to go and be Batman; the school bully being Batman's biggest fan) that were blatant ripoffs of Spider-Man. Batman Beyond was still an awesome show and is very close to being second only to Batman: The Animated Series, but it's still beaten by Justice League.

Batman Beyond was definitely second to BTAS in terms of style. It's the only other DCAU show that had such a strong focus on the style and the kinds of films it tried to emulate (mostly Blade Runner, obviously). It's easily better than Spider-Man Unlimited and it's still quite a bit better than the original 1990's Spidey toon.

Or Batman ripped off The Shadow because both were affluent playboys who fought crime in dark capes.

Or Captain Marvel ripped off Superman because they both wear capes and fly and are really strong and have square jaws.

Batman DID rip off the Shadow and Captain Marvel DID rip off Superman. (If I'm going off-topic, I'm quite happy to make a thread about this).

Every last element of the Shadow is in Batman except his origin. The car, the boomerang weapon, the Police Commisioner, the secret headquarters, the imitating of people's voices and most importantly...the arch-nemesis whose face was made up like a clown who called himself 'The Joker'.

Captain Marvel was just one of the many Superman ripoffs, except the difference being that he was quite successful. DC got browned off by this, so they bought him out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: That Thread About Old Cartoons: "The kerium rush brought outlaws by the storm!"

Batman DID rip off the Shadow and Captain Marvel DID rip off Superman. (If I'm going off-topic, I'm quite happy to make a thread about this).

Every last element of the Shadow is in Batman except his origin. The car, the boomerang weapon, the Police Commisioner, the secret headquarters, the imitating of people's voices and most importantly...the arch-nemesis whose face was made up like a clown who called himself 'The Joker'.

Captain Marvel was just one of the many Superman ripoffs, except the difference being that he was quite successful. DC got browned off by this, so they bought him out.

Simpsons did it.

Everything's a rip-off of everything else. It's a matter of whether they manage to distinguish themselves and carve out an identity in the long-game.

But from what I understand, Spider-Man Unlmited was more (not very good) space opera, while Batman Beyond was more (also not very good) cyberpunk.

Okay, maybe not space opera, exactly. But it seems like more of a Buck Rogers type thing. "Earthman is transported to a strange new world where he's the only salvation for an alien race."

Last edited:
This whole argument can be summed up in the following statement:

"Batman Beyond was awesome. Spiderman Unlimited was not. And if you disagree, you suck."

Suck on that little Doom nugget.

Latest posts

Back