Batman/Detective Comics Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I cohered it just fine.

It was an event! But there were really just two strands, an event level crisis framed by a metatextual narrative. In the interior story, the Fourth World space gods had fought a war. The good guy gods won and the god of evil was left dying, forced to possess human shells. He knows he's dying and he wants to take the universe with him, and he seems to win. Until the good guys beat him just as nearly everything seems lost. The framing story is about the Monitors who watch the multiverse and how the singularity of Darkseid's will is causing the multiverse to collapse into itself. The two merge together with the rise of the Fifth World. Batman is sent back in time, carrying with him the symbols of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, and in doing so, he mythologizes them and embeds the symbols of the superheroic age as the new world mythology in the collective pre-human subconscious. Honestly, I had little trouble following it and I don't think it's because I'm more well versed in the universe than you. It just requires accepting that some of the details are intended to be ambiguous and up to interpretation.

You say that like it's not awesome!

He's Metron, the True Neutral god. He planted the idea of superhumanity into prehistory with Anthro and the Rubick's Cube scene was this culmination of humanity achieving their potential. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

Nah. Countdown is the antithesis of Final Crisis. Everything in it contradicts the event and will only confuse you more. In addition, it's one of the worst things ever written. As far as the Fourth World stuff, I haven't read any of Kirby's Fourth World (though I've meant to), and from what I understand, it isn't all that crucial to understanding Morrison's book. If you know that there are space gods and they fought a war, and now they're in human bodies, that's all the primer that's applicable. If anything, the two books that provide lead-in are 52 and Seven Soldiers. 52 features the birth of the multiverse and Seven Soldiers features the Dark Side Club, although it's a relatively minor role.

a while. They showed up roughly analagous to, or right after, Infinite Crisis. So, in vague comic book time, a couple years or so. They appeared in various other books around the time of Countdown, but nothing that really had an impact whatsoever on FC. They seemed to be thrown into books to hype up a sales boost from being an "event tie-in".

He was announced as being on the book indefinitely, and I haven't heard anything to suggest DC has changed their mind. In all his interviews, he's discussed it as if he has a long term plan in mind.

I love you.

I've read up through Batman and Robin #12, ready to read The Return of Bruce Wayne and "Time and the Batman" and then end with Batman and Robin #13-16

I didn't love batman and Robin at first. I'm generally not a huge fan of the weird twisted stuff (I'm talking about Pyg, the dolltrons, and Scarlet). But it got better.

Sexton
is the Joker!
Didn't see that coming. And I don't get the jokes...

anyway, I'm excited for what comes next.

Last edited:
Is there anything to distinguish between calling batman "Batman" versus "the Batman"? They seem to be interchangeable but I can't tell if there is a difference, like if they mean or imply something different.

It depends on the writer's take... But typically "The Batman" is what the press call the mysterious, nameless, bat-like vigilante haunting their streets that nobody can confirm even exists. "Batman" is what the superhero who has a symbol on the roof of the GCPD, who hangs out on the moon with the Justice League, calls himself.

Is there anything to distinguish between calling batman "Batman" versus "the Batman"? They seem to be interchangeable but I can't tell if there is a difference, like if they mean or imply something different.

"The Batman" is a filthy sex term.

It's too vulgar to post the specifics here.

It depends on the writer's take... But typically "The Batman" is what the press call the mysterious, nameless, bat-like vigilante haunting their streets that nobody can confirm even exists. "Batman" is what the superhero who has a symbol on the roof of the GCPD, who hangs out on the moon with the Justice League, calls himself.

Perfect - thanks.

"The Batman" is a filthy sex term.

It's too vulgar to post the specifics here.

I don't even want to know how Robin fits into that.

So to speak.

Anybody know how the whole "New 52" will affect these books? I understand that the Superman books will start over(Clark being not married or in a relationship with Lois). How will they explain Damian still being Robin? Who is this Batwing guy? And will Red Robin still be in the Teen Titans

Anybody know how the whole "New 52" will affect these books? I understand that the Superman books will start over(Clark being not married or in a relationship with Lois). How will they explain Damian still being Robin? Who is this Batwing guy? And will Red Robin still be in the Teen Titans

The Batman books are largely following the course they've been on. Batman's history is mostly intact, along with all his supporting family. Damian's still Robin because the history of the sidekicks are largely still in place. Dick's back to being Nightwing and B&R will be about Bruce and Damian. Batwing spins out of Batman, Inc. where he appeared briefly. And Red Robin will be on the Teen Titans, where he seems to be largely compartmentalized from the major Batman books. It sounds like they're tweaking with his history some, but I recall hearing his background as a sidekick is still in place.

Has anyone been reading Batman: Gates of Gotham by Scott Synder? I'm really digging it. The plot is that someone is blowing up Gotham landmarks, and the clue to their identity lies in Gotham's past when the city was being shaped by the families that owned it, the Wayne's, the Elliot's, and the Cobblepot's. I'm particularly enjoying that the protagonists are Dick, Tim, Damian, and Cassandra. Synder does a great job with their characterizations.

Iceshadow said:
Has anyone been reading Batman: Gates of Gotham by Scott Synder? I'm really digging it. The plot is that someone is blowing up Gotham landmarks, and the clue to their identity lies in Gotham's past when the city was being shaped by the families that owned it, the Wayne's, the Elliot's, and the Cobblepot's. I'm particularly enjoying that the protagonists are Dick, Tim, Damian, and Cassandra. Synder does a great job with their characterizations.

Sounds interesting. I'll add it to the pile.

Snyder's Detective Comics run was great too. I wish Jock and Francavilla were drawing his new Batman run.

ProjectX2 said:
Snyder's Detective Comics run was great too. I wish Jock and Francavilla were drawing his new Batman run.

Agreed. Jim is such a vividly creepy character.

Has anyone read the new 5 comic miniseries that completes the gap from Batman: Arkham Asylum to Batman: Arkham City? I read the first one and thought it had a lot of gaps.

Everyone thinks Batman is such a great detective, but it's the bat computer that does all the work:

amazing-bat-computer.jpg

Everyone thinks Batman is such a great detective, but it's the bat computer that does all the work:

amazing-bat-computer.jpg

Agreed! When I really think about it, it strikes me that, for all this talk about "the world's greatest detective", there aren't really many great detective stories starring Batman.

I seem to remember the sort of recent Paul Dini run on Detective Comics being pretty good detective stories, but it's been a while since I read it so I could be wrong.

If I had bought that comic and read that page I might have thrown it in the garbage.

Latest posts

Back