Batman/Superman news and rumors

Re: The All About Comic Book Movies Thread

I'm not sure why people are worried about Ben Affleck when Zack Snyder exists. Affleck should be directing it too.

I'm not sure why people are worried about Ben Affleck when Zack Snyder exists. Affleck should be directing it too.
Well, he could be directing JL now. Maybe he was lying?

Otherwise I feel that this casting is pretty odd. I just don't see Affleck as Bruce Wayne or Batman.

Huh...

I've been impressed with Affleck's recent film work, as director and actor, but I'm disappointed by this news. I really think the film would've worked better casting a no-name who could both pull off the role as well as the fantastic combat and stunts required. The film was going to do billion dollar numbers anyway...it's Superman vs. Batman for Christ's sake. Everyone and their mother will go and see it. It didn't need a big name actor to draw people in.

While I'm sure Affleck can do a decent job, I'm unsure how well his voice will work for the Batman persona, for one, and not sure he can do the somewhat cantankerous, seen and done it all bad-ass that Batman is as he was portrayed in The Dark Knight Returns, which this is supposed to be drawing from. Even though it will be changed and not a carbon copy of the comic, the casting rumors of them going with an older Batman lend credence to the idea they're going to use the Batman and Superman interplay from that book as a guideline to their portrayal here. And I think that'll be a good thing, not only for an added sense of dark humor for the film, but also as a way of taking Superman down a peg or two after his messianic, saving the world stature he has after MoS.

Eh, we'll see. I still think Scott Adkins could've done a superb job with the combat. Affleck, much as I like the guy, kind of indicates we're in for more of the same in regards to the combat: quick cut close-ups and overall unimpressive.

well, he could be directing jl now. Maybe he was lying?

Otherwise i feel that this casting is pretty odd. I just don't see affleck as bruce wayne or batman.

Wait, WHO ARE YOU?!

Last edited:

969815_10151876444498534_2022596086_n.jpg

Re: DC Cinematic Universe - Upcoming Films

I'm totally calling it. Affleck is directing Justice League.

I have no problem with this at all and don't get what is to get worked up about.

But that is because I *barely* care about DC superhero movies at this point.

And I like Ben Affleck.

I have no problem with this at all and don't get what is to get worked up about.

I like Affleck too, I'm just having trouble envisioning him pulling off the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman in the vein they're drawing from (Miller's TDKR comic). However I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But that is because I *barely* care about DC superhero movies at this point.

Zombie. ;)

And I want to make sweet love to Ben Affleck.

Huh.

I'm with E. The guy is obviously at the top of his game with stuff like The Town and Argo. I think he will do just fine.

Last edited:

It has nothing to do with Marvel's movies or any kind of ridiculous loyalty to them over DC or anyone else. I just don't think they make very good movies aside from the Dark Knight trilogy, and those are over. Superman Returns was forgettable, and Man Of Steel looked disappointing enough to not want to bother with. Green Lantern and Jonah Hex were pretty much garbage. I don't care enough about the Justice League to care anything about a movie with them at this point, conceptually.

It has nothing to do with Marvel's movies or any kind of ridiculous loyalty to them over DC or anyone else. I just don't think they make very good movies aside from the Dark Knight trilogy, and those are over. Superman Returns was forgettable, and Man Of Steel looked disappointing enough to not want to bother with. Green Lantern and Jonah Hex were pretty much garbage. I don't care enough about the Justice League to care anything about a movie with them at this point, conceptually.

I still don't think the Marvel crossover route is the way to go. I love Marvel's stable of movies, but the core DC heroes are so distinct that you could tell really superb stories by letting them each occupy a distinct world without having to worry about the difficulties that come with crossover continuity. Go for big, world twisting prestige features. That gives them a niche that distinguishes themselves from Marvel. An Aquaman disaster flick about mermen going to war with the Earth, a Wonder Woman feature with all the mythical creatures of classical lore run amok, a grand Green Lantern space opera...

But Warner has done a pretty lackluster job of handling their DC properties thus far. I'd say shuttling Snyder from the core of your universe is a step in the right direction.

Still, I'd be interested to see what an Affleck-directed superhero blockbuster would look like.

I still don't think the Marvel crossover route is the way to go.

I can't help but wonder if they are just scrambling to keep up because now they feel like they have to, or if they really, truly, genuinely have a plan of action and good ideas for story.

I know, I was kidding.

That said, while it does appear WB is playing copycat second-fiddle to Marvel's movies, I'm excited to see a JL film, but I'm even more excited for the Batman/Superman film.

I'm not convinced WB knows what they're doing, either, but Man of Steel was an ok film, and nowhere near the abomination some make it out to be. I still think you should at least give it a chance instead of relying on second-hand opinions of overly critical comic fans. It wasn't great either, but there were some strong performances and great fight scenes.

Latest posts

Back