Batman: The Brave and the Bold (series discussion)

Re: New Batman Animated Series to Air on Cartoon Network

Have you seen Batman Returns?!

Yes, in the theater, when I was a kid.

Batman returns is not something you should show to kids.

And really unless you were alive in the 60s, who would care about Silver age Batman?

Why wouldn't you care about Silver Age Batman? The stories are still there and readily available. It's my favorite incarnation of the character.

I'm in agreement with Joe Kalicki, it looks entertaining and isn't that the point?

Why wouldn't you care about Silver Age Batman? The stories are still there and readily available. It's my favorite incarnation of the character.

I wouldn't show Dark Knight to kids, it would give them a fear of clowns.

Because it was before my time and I don't like that incarnation of Batman. Heck I don't like silver age DC, peroid. There are no stories, the whole thing has no story what so ever, Superman is more concerned with playing pranks then solving crimes, it seems like they never fought crime in Silver age DC.

Silver Age Marvel may have goofy, but at least it had plot and character development, Silver Age DC has very little for the over 5 crowd.

I wouldn't show Dark Knight to kids, it would give them a fear of clowns.

Because it was before my time and I don't like that incarnation of Batman. Heck I don't like silver age DC, peroid. There are no stories, the whole thing has no story what so ever, Superman is more concerned with playing pranks then solving crimes, it seems like they never fought crime in Silver age DC.

Silver Age Marvel may have goofy, but at least it had plot and character development, Silver Age DC has very little for the over 5 crowd.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Do I? Ever been to the "Superman is a dick" website?

Have you ever read any Silver Age DC comics? Because I don't need to go to a website that only shows an out-of-context panel or two at a time to inform me of my opinion on those works.

Last edited:

Have you ever read any Silver Age DC comics? Because I don't need to go to a website that only shows a panel or two at a time to inform me of my opinion on those works.

See i have, I read Superman stroies from the Silver age that involved the 60s version of "Candid camera" and a bucnh of silly what if stories if Superman revealed his ID. Most of the ones saw, Superman got transformed by red K radiation, instead of fighting crime.

Also I read some Silver age batman stories, he had no persoanlity, he was geenric super hero dude, you can put him next Superman and there would be no personality difference. I mean is 60s joker anywhere as good as dark Knight Joker?

Guess what, not every one likes Silver Age DC. Don't assume I never read any Silver age comics, I have they aren't very good. Silver age marvel is a million times better.

See i have, I read Superman stroies from the Silver age that involved the 60s version of "Candid camera" and a bucnh of silly what if stories if Superman revealed his ID. Most of the ones saw, Superman got transformed by red K radiation, instead of fighting crime.

Also I read some Silver age batman stories, he had no persoanlity, he was geenric super hero dude, you can put him next Superman and there would be no personality difference. I mean is 60s joker anywhere as good as dark Knight Joker?

Guess what, not every one likes Silver Age DC. Don't assume I never read any Silver age comics, I have they aren't very good. Silver age marvel is a million times better.

Guess what, not everyone likes dark brooding Batman. People have different tastes, there are plenty of incarnations of Batman, he's very versatile, we shouldn't be limited to just one.

And I don't even know why you're trying to shoehorn a ridiculous Marvel vs. DC debate into this.

Guess what, not everyone likes dark brooding Batman. People have different tastes, there are plenty of incarnations of Batman, he's very versatile, we shouldn't be limited to just one.

That's kinda like saying that you don't like "funny everyman" Spider-Man, that's what batman was created to be, that's his ethos.

This cartoon is fine for kids, but I think its kinda wrong that they have these light hearted cartoons, that will encourage kids to watch the dark violent Batman movies.

Last edited:

That's kinda like saying that you don't like "funny everyman" Spider-Man, that's what batman was created to be, that's his ethos.

This cartoon is fine for kids, but I think itts kinda wrong that they have these light hearted cartoons, that will encourage kids to watch the dark violent Batman movies.

Batman's had probably more interpretations than any other character. He spent a good chunk of his life as something you don't enjoy, but it's wrong to say it didn't exist and it wasn't successful and isn't entirely valid. Spider-Man never had that.

Batman was created to sell comic books to kids. It was a kids' medium, he was a character for kids.

And kids are going to want to see a Batman movie regardless of what cartoons portray him as. Would it be better if they only had adult Batman cartoons? What about the comics? Or shouldn't they make dark Batman movies at all? I don't even know what you're trying to say.

I was 9 when I saw Batman at the show, it didn't kill me, in fact I consider it a watershed moment in my life.

Batman's had probably more interpretations than any other character. He spent a good chunk of his life as something you don't enjoy, but it's wrong to say it didn't exist and it wasn't successful and isn't entirely valid. Spider-Man never had that.

Batman was created to sell comic books to kids. It was a kids' medium, he was a character for kids.

And kids are going to want to see a Batman movie regardless of what cartoons portray him as. Would it be better if they only had adult Batman cartoons? What about the comics? Or shouldn't they make dark Batman movies at all? I don't even know what you're trying to say.

I was 9 when I saw Batman at the show, it didn't kill me, in fact I consider it a watershed moment in my life.

I'm saying WB should be sure who they are aiming this at, batman amy have created to seel comics to kids, but the Dark Knight is certainly not for kids, so the kids tie ins are somewhat worrisome.

Like i said this cartoon is for kids, but guess what, most fans don't care for the Adam west Batman, so they won't get the retro appeal you see in it. You think these series has some appeal for older fans, but most fans would disagree.

Last edited:

I'm saying WB should be sure who they are aiming this at, batman amy have created to seel comics to kids, but the Dark Knight is certainly not for kids, so the kids tie ins are somewhat worrisome.

Like i said this cartoon is for kids, but guess what, most fans don't care for the Adam west Batman, so they won't get the retro appeal you see in it. You think these series has some appeal for older fans, but most fans would disagree.

Well thank God you're able to speak for "most people." Lord knows they need someone to be their voice.

Well thank God you're able to speak for "most people." Lord knows they need someone to be their voice.

Tell you what, go around the net and ask batman fans which ersion they prefer.

I don't speak for them, I observe trends and come to conclusions, there is a difference.

guess what, most fans don't care for the Adam west Batman, so they won't get the retro appeal you see in it. You think these series has some appeal for older fans, but most fans would disagree.

Actually the Adam west series is still highly popular. In fact my uncle who ha collected Batman comics and merchandise still loves the show and he watched it when it first aired.

Batman the movie with Adam west has been re-realsed on few occasions which it wouldn't have if "most fans don't care for the Adam west Batman." I myself while seeing it as camp and cheesy still enjoy it today.

I've mentioned before I actually prefer retro batman to overly dark modern batman. But both do have good points.

Tell you what, go around the net and ask batman fans which ersion they prefer.

I don't speak for them, I observe trends and come to conclusions, there is a difference.

You're right, I forgot everyone in the world posts on the internet.

Right...well that explains it, then.

Describing Batman Returns as 'dark' is inaccurate. The 1989 film and the Nolan films are 'dark' because they deal with Batman's psychology and his inner-trauma. Batman Returns doesn't deal with any of this and is just a superficial black comedy. It's not 'dark' at all, it actually thinks it's entertaining and even funny half the time. It's sadistic, warped and flat-out sick and is certainly not a movie for children.

I like the Adam West show because it's of it's time. I also particularly like Batman Forever and Batman 1989 because they were of their time. However, if movies like those ones were made in this day and age, I would flip.

Anyway, I'm done with this sorry thread. It's overpopulated by people with whom I completely disagree.

Spoken for truth.

I have awesome memories of the Adam West Batman movie. I had it on VHS and played it to death when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back