Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined)

On a side note, due to your constant recommendations, I've begun checking out Babylon 5.

:D

The only thing I can say BSG consistently does better than B5 are the acting, music, and effects (naturally, given BSG's decade of CGI advancement going for it). The last two are granted, especially due to Babylon 5 being on a much tighter budget (without a major network's backing). However, the only thing I'm unimpressed with so far is the acting. Really the only one who stands out is Michael O'Hare as the Commander (Sinclair I think). The guy is wooden and uninteresting, a bad thing for your expected focal point of the show (being Valen and all).

This is a common gripe. A lot of people don't like Sinclair. To be honest, every time I rewatch the first season, I like him more. Michael O'Hare does something that we never get to see. He's meant to be wooden, and distant. I know that sounds odd, but he's meant to be this somewhat off-kilter character and the point was he'd change as the series continued. Regardless, I found that out much after I began liking Sinclair. As you say, as the main character you expect him to be very different, but if you accept Sinclair for what he is, not what you expect, I think you'll like him more.

A thing to realise about the acting is it's quite theatrical. JMS 'cut his teeth as a writer' (as he says) in theatre. So he writes theatrically, and the actors overact because of the theatrical nature of the show. BSG on the other hand, is far more 'movie like' (and the tendency is for that kind of approach now) and the acting is different.

The odd thing is that the accomplished stage actor, Michael O'Hare, is the biggest exception, downplaying virtually everything, making him seem even more wooden. I gotta say, I love Sinclair, but I can see why he would aggravate people.

Also, about the CGI - as you say, there's been great advances in the effects. What it's worth noting is this - B5 was the first tv show to use full-on CGI effects. This show is the reason BSG's effects are so great. It pioneered them. I remember when Crusade, the spin-off for B5 came out - the human CGI in it is abominable because it was theoretical at the time. But I'm sure you're not too bothered by a weakening of CGI. You wanted dated effects, check out the original Trek. :D

I'm looking forward to Season 2 merely for Boxleitner's character to take over. Other than that, however, the show is great! I'm very intrigued by the Vorlons, and their entire culture (the little we've seen so far, mostly in The Gathering), was pretty intriguing...I like the idea of alternate atmosphere environments on the station, as well, though logic kind of dictates their necessity given the show's subject matter. So far it gets a 3/5, though once the underlying plot of the series is addressed more, I'm sure my interest will increase and my rating will as well.

I'm so glad you're liking it. Try to avoid spoilers as best you can, but it doesn't matter, a lot of it is already kinda open, even from the first episode. And what a great first episode "Midnight on the Firing Line" is.

When you get into it, you should get a B5 thread going. But I'm glad you're watching it - you're in for a great run. :D

:D

This is a common gripe. A lot of people don't like Sinclair. To be honest, every time I rewatch the first season, I like him more. Michael O'Hare does something that we never get to see. He's meant to be wooden, and distant. I know that sounds odd, but he's meant to be this somewhat off-kilter character and the point was he'd change as the series continued. Regardless, I found that out much after I began liking Sinclair. As you say, as the main character you expect him to be very different, but if you accept Sinclair for what he is, not what you expect, I think you'll like him more.

A thing to realise about the acting is it's quite theatrical. JMS 'cut his teeth as a writer' (as he says) in theatre. So he writes theatrically, and the actors overact because of the theatrical nature of the show. BSG on the other hand, is far more 'movie like' (and the tendency is for that kind of approach now) and the acting is different.

The odd thing is that the accomplished stage actor, Michael O'Hare, is the biggest exception, downplaying virtually everything, making him seem even more wooden. I gotta say, I love Sinclair, but I can see why he would aggravate people.

That makes perfect sense. I'll keep that in mind while watching in the future.

Also, about the CGI - as you say, there's been great advances in the effects. What it's worth noting is this - B5 was the first tv show to use full-on CGI effects. This show is the reason BSG's effects are so great. It pioneered them. I remember when Crusade, the spin-off for B5 came out - the human CGI in it is abominable because it was theoretical at the time. But I'm sure you're not too bothered by a weakening of CGI. You wanted dated effects, check out the original Trek. :D

Yeah, but its not painful at all to watch. They're rough, but fluid enough to be believable.

I'm so glad you're liking it. Try to avoid spoilers as best you can, but it doesn't matter, a lot of it is already kinda open, even from the first episode. And what a great first episode "Midnight on the Firing Line" is.

When you get into it, you should get a B5 thread going. But I'm glad you're watching it - you're in for a great run. :D

I'll definitly get a thread going for it...complete with TIMELINE! This seems like the perfect property/series to make a timeline for as well, given its very precise dates.

Dude - the timeline, and I'm not kidding, you can have it go one million years in either direction of the five year B5 arc.

There is one episode, the season 4 finale called "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" that your timeline-muscles will spasm over. I won't give away too much, sufficed to say, each act takes place in a different century. :D

Dude - the timeline, and I'm not kidding, you can have it go one million years in either direction of the five year B5 arc.

There is one episode, the season 4 finale called "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" that your timeline-muscles will spasm over. I won't give away too much, sufficed to say, each act takes place in a different century. :D

I watched that episode wondering why they did it that way, and when it ended, I went, nice, it went in a full circle.

I can't believe none of the mods have posted for us to get back on topic...especially since one was actively involved in the off-topic discussion!

I love pointing out falibility.

Back to BSG:

Any predictions on how Season 3 will wrap up? Will they convict Baltar? Will he be put to death? And most importantly, how will he avoid that death (c'mon, you don't expect them to kill off TWO major characters this close together, do you?). Will the Cylons come and save him somehow? What deus ex machina plot device will save his traitorous ***?

Pff. The off-topic is cooler than on-topic. I am infallibable.

Nuts.

Anyhoo, on to your thoughts... I honestly don't try to speculate on how shows like this resolve for the simple fact that I don't think it's possible. When you've got a show that is effectively progressing an arc you can try to work out where it's going (Heroes, Babylon 5, The Sopranos) but with a show that does just token 'big picture' episodes that either do nothing or out of nowhere change the status quo, it's not possible to guess (X-Files, Lost, Enterprise).

That said, I think season 3 will wrap up with them finding another way to Earth or Earth itself. They will find something that links to Earth. I reckon since each 'big picture' two parter revolved around this premise, with New Caprica being 'Earth'.

As for Baltar - Baltar I am convinced won't die. If Caprica Six and Athena can survive for three years, Baltar will get off. I think what will happen is the unrest in the fleet might tear it apart, with parts of the fleet loyal to Baltar jumping away. Or maybe they'll hijack Galactica and take over the fleet. I'm spitballing here as "Dirty Hands" mentioned some people like Baltar's book, and I'm probably exaggerating their influence here.

But I don't think Baltar will die. I hope not. He's the best character in the show. It should be Battlestar Baltar. :D

Pff. The off-topic is cooler than on-topic. I am infallibable.

:lol:

Nuts.

They're good with beer.

Anyhoo, on to your thoughts...I honestly don't try to speculate on how shows like this resolve for the simple fact that I don't think it's possible. When you've got a show that is effectively progressing an arc you can try to work out where it's going (Heroes, Babylon 5, The Sopranos) but with a show that does just token 'big picture' episodes that either do nothing or out of nowhere change the status quo, it's not possible to guess (X-Files, Lost, Enterprise).

Ok.

That said, I think season 3 will wrap up with them finding another way to Earth or Earth itself. They will find something that links to Earth. I reckon since each 'big picture' two parter revolved around this premise, with New Caprica being 'Earth'.

As for Baltar - Baltar I am convinced won't die. If Caprica Six and Athena can survive for three years, Baltar will get off. I think what will happen is the unrest in the fleet might tear it apart, with parts of the fleet loyal to Baltar jumping away. Or maybe they'll hijack Galactica and take over the fleet. I'm spitballing here as "Dirty Hands" mentioned some people like Baltar's book, and I'm probably exaggerating their influence here.

But...you just said you don't try to speculate...huh...?

But I don't think Baltar will die. I hope not. He's the best character in the show. It should be Battlestar Baltar. :D

I love the character, but I couldn't take a show centered merely around him for too long.

Well, as we get closer to the season finale, the drama turns up. Lee and Will at odds again, this time it looks permanent as Lee is no longer in the military. Laura's cancer has returned, #6 gave the Colonists some info on how they've been tracking them and at least they gave Saddam-Baltar a trim.

Looks like the Cylons come back next week.

Though overall last night's episode was still in the "blah" range.

Jimi Hendrix gives us a Holy mother load of spoilers for next week's episode (and Jimi Hendrix is a misleading clue to what follows) from Ain't It Cool:

* Gaeta lies on the stand. He says Baltar never protested when the Cylons told him to sign execution orders.

* Lee proves himself every inch Joseph Adama's grandson. There is a not-guilty verdict in Baltar's trial.

* Saul Tigh, Galen Tyrol, Sam Anders and Tory Foster (Roslin's aide) start hearing low, distracting music a lot of the others don't hear. Are they four of the Final Five?? (And the music appears to be – GET THIS - Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"!!! How!! But!! WHAT!!!!)

* Anders and Tory have a make-out session.

* Adama tells an unhappy Roslin it was his swing vote that freed Baltar.

* Right after the verdict, the Cylons attack! The entire fleet loses power!

* Baltar's cult whisks him away to safety,

* Tigh, Tyrol, Anders and Foster are all independently driven by the Dylan tune to the same launch tube. All four are horrified to come to the conclusion that they've all always been Cylons!

* The lights come on. Everyone is ordered to battle stations. Tigh, Tyrol and Anders scramble to their posts.

* Lee too is back in uniform and notices an unidentified craft on the DRADIS. When he investigates, he finds Kara in her viper. She says she's been to Earth and can show them the way.

FRAK FRAK FRAK!!! WHAT THE FRAK!!!!

Last edited:
The ways of mods are bizarre and inconsistent.

But we have a Plan.

God, I love me some Bass.

In a totally hetero way, of course.

Jimi Hendrix gives us a Holy mother load of spoilers for next week's episode (and Jimi Hendrix is a misleading clue to what follows) from Ain't It Cool:

* Gaeta lies on the stand. He says Baltar never protested when the Cylons told him to sign execution orders.

* Lee proves himself every inch Joseph Adama's grandson. There is a not-guilty verdict in Baltar's trial.

* Saul Tigh, Galen Tyrol, Sam Anders and Tory Foster (Roslin's aide) start hearing low, distracting music a lot of the others don't hear. Are they four of the Final Five?? (And the music appears to be – GET THIS - Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"!!! How!! But!! WHAT!!!!)

* Anders and Tory have a make-out session.

* Adama tells an unhappy Roslin it was his swing vote that freed Baltar.

* Right after the verdict, the Cylons attack! The entire fleet loses power!

* Baltar's cult whisks him away to safety,

* Tigh, Tyrol, Anders and Foster are all independently driven by the Dylan tune to the same launch tube. All four are horrified to come to the conclusion that they've all always been Cylons!

* The lights come on. Everyone is ordered to battle stations. Tigh, Tyrol and Anders scramble to their posts.

* Lee too is back in uniform and notices an unidentified craft on the DRADIS. When he investigates, he finds Kara in her viper. She says she's been to Earth and can show them the way.

FRAK FRAK FRAK!!! WHAT THE FRAK!!!!

Well we all knew the last one was going to happen, it just seems a lot sooner than anyone expected. The Final Five revelations are interesting, especially when you think about their roles in fleet and pasts.

I personally don't believe those mentioned are Cylons. But they could be revealing themselves just because they are so close to Earth. Forgive me as I take liberal use of the SPOILER and make it look like half a conversation at casual glance:

Big argument:
one of them procreated. That would take a lot from Hera's importance, don't you think?

But we once again appear to have our
dying leader

As far for what I call the big twist -
Starbuck's destiny has always been to find Earth. She's the one who went back to get Athena's arrow, for example

I think
the song
is extremely important to it all. They wouldn't use a
modern, albeit classic folk-rock, tune
like that if it wasn't.

Might it be an indication of
our time period
when the Fleet finds earth?

Hmmm.

I think the final five thing is nonsense. And I await, skeptically, the fourth season 'explanation' for why they exist (whether or not it's the four mentioned), because I strongly doubt it'll ever make any sense.

Just look at this first parter. Out of nowhere, the Cylons have begun being able to track the fleet again (apparently due to a unique radiation signiature that somehow no one noticed for three years) which makes me wonder why we haven't had another "33" happen if they can track the fleet. And at the same time, they have TWO Cylons on the ship, one is married, with child, and serving as an officer. The other is a prison who is always impeccably dressed and made up, even though Gaius Baltar hasn't been allowed to cut his hair.

Y'know what? If the Cylons were tracking the fleet, my FIRST guess might be ONE OF THE THREE CYLONS who just came aboard the ship! Why wasn't Caprica Six, Hera, and Boomer (and hell, GAIUS BALTAR the 'traitor of humanity to the cylon enemy') extensively strip-searched for any kind of tracking device?

The more I look at this show, the more inconsistent it becomes, and the bigger the plot holes. It aggravates me because even now, they are capable of doing stellar episodes that are really impressive. :(

Last edited:
I personally don't believe those mentioned are Cylons. But they could be revealing themselves just because they are so close to Earth. Forgive me as I take liberal use of the SPOILER and make it look like half a conversation at casual glance:

Big argument:
one of them procreated. That would take a lot from Hera's importance, don't you think?

Maybe, maybe not. If Sharon can, there's no reason
Tyrol
can't. So its not so much an argument of "can they" as it is of "why that way". Maybe they were programmed to practice their Cylon sex voodoo on each other (remember their tryst early on).

But we once again appear to have our
dying leader

Right. She is the one who leads them to Earth, so I don't necessarily think it was required for her to be in the process of dying when Earth was actually found...that might have been too literal a translation. Though it does have a more dramatic feel to it, and opens up future dramatic plot-lines.

As far for what I call the big twist -
Starbuck's destiny has always been to find Earth. She's the one who went back to get Athena's arrow, for example

Good point. Its just scary to think the Cylons have known about this destiny and might also be able to ascertain Earth's location.

I think
the song
is extremely important to it all. They wouldn't use a
modern, albeit classic folk-rock, tune
like that if it wasn't.

Might it be an indication of
our time period
when the Fleet finds earth?

Possibly, though more likely its an indicator of distance to Earth. Those radio waves could be a few years old, a few decades...possible even a few centuries, right? Maybe they arrive in a future Earth? If that song is an indicator, it can't be the ancient past.

Y'know what? If the Cylons were tracking the fleet, my FIRST guess might be ONE OF THE THREE CYLONS who just came aboard the ship! Why wasn't Caprica Six, Hera, and Boomer (and hell, GAIUS BALTAR the 'traitor of humanity to the cylon enemy') extensively strip-searched for any kind of tracking device?

Who's to say they weren't? Especially Baltar. Ever since he's come back to the ship, he's had a scared, haunted look in his eyes that has nothing to do with his upcoming trial or being a traitor to humanity...I suspect it has something to do with the "investigating officer's" callsign being "Tree Trunk Fingers".

I missed the last ten minutes do to a power outage. Did I miss anything crucial? I saw the preview for the Season Finale online.

Who's to say they weren't? Especially Baltar. Ever since he's come back to the ship, he's had a scared, haunted look in his eyes that has nothing to do with his upcoming trial or being a traitor to humanity...I suspect it has something to do with the "investigating officer's" callsign being "Tree Trunk Fingers".

The closest we got was when they tried to find his papers.

A book, they'll threaten you with strip searching. A tracking device and they'll just insult you, slap you, and then after they get hit by you, they'll go have a drink. :roll:

If strip searching was done, we should've seen it. If only to create the sense of dread of the following Cylons. Meh.

I suspect the Final Five Cylons are somehow related to the Temple of Five - and a point I want to bring up is this:

What is the realtionship between a Temple that was created when the Lost Colony went to Earth millenias ago?

I think it's very important.

Latest posts

Back