Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined)

I went to the Weird Al Yankovic quiz at the site and got this result:

"You are a NORMAL HUMAN BEING. Congratulations. You are a pretty normal person. You know some stuff, but you aren't a know-it-all. You're pretty average in every way. You may want to get a nicer shirt or something."

:lol: I'm tempted to sig it.

Last edited:
:lol:

A friend of mine has been saying this for ages, and the idea is that the Cylons routinely create a civilisation on Earth, send it out to the Twelve colonies, blow it up, and then have them find Earth again and again and again (with the supernova, this would be the last time - possibly the original BSG is canon in that regard).

I asked him, "Why? What possible purpose?"

"I dunno. To understand humanity better."
"But how? They're all Cylons. They're not human. They killed all the humans. Why would they kill humans if they're trying to understand them?"

And so on. Whatever plan they come up with, it'll be too convoluted and contrived to be believable, I think.

:lol:

A friend of mine has been saying this for ages, and the idea is that the Cylons routinely create a civilisation on Earth, send it out to the Twelve colonies, blow it up, and then have them find Earth again and again and again (with the supernova, this would be the last time - possibly the original BSG is canon in that regard).

I asked him, "Why? What possible purpose?"

"I dunno. To understand humanity better."
"But how? They're all Cylons. They're not human. They killed all the humans. Why would they kill humans if they're trying to understand them?"

And so on. Whatever plan they come up with, it'll be too convoluted and contrived to be believable, I think.

But, it'll be believable...because...they're Cylons. Yeah, thats it.

I'll believe it, sure I will.

We're now up to 22 Episodes for season 4 - which, much like LOST & 24, will not start airing until 2008 in succession. A 2 hour movie showing the Pegasus's fight will be broadcast this fall.

So mebbe we won't find Earth.

We're now up to 22 Episodes for season 4 - which, much like LOST & 24, will not start airing until 2008 in succession. A 2 hour movie showing the Pegasus's fight will be broadcast this fall.

I wonder what the movie will be like. Whatever it's like, I'm sure it'll be cool.

Actually, the Pegasus plot for the movie hasn't been confirmed. I've also heard reports (which seem more reliable, but nothings definite at this point) that it would act as a bridge between Seasons 3 and 4, much in the same way the Webisodes did between Seasons 2 and 3. The storyline wasn't given as anything specific, just that it would cover and resolve some side-plots from Season 3...we'll have to wait until November or December to know for sure.

Pegasus movie for August is confirmed, with the DVD coming out 2 days later. So the movie will be on a Sunday night.

Last night's episode was really good, much better than last year's season ender, I'll say that much. it had the quality writing we're used to.

My spoilers were right on, though I wish they hadn't been, lol.

Pegasus movie for August is confirmed, with the DVD coming out 2 days later. So the movie will be on a Sunday night.

Yup, just read that as well.

Ain't It Cool has a an awesome article on the end of season 3, what's up with the Caprica TV show and the Pegsus movie:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32045

And we have confirmation of 4 of the Final Five Cylons . . .

I still don't know if I like it. Ron Moore has some espaining to do, Loosey.

Two were anti-climactic, two were pretty major revelations. If any are believable reveals, however, I'm not sure of yet.

I thought the season finale was decent. I'm not sure the revealation of the final five is going to have a great explaination, if not it'll be reasonable or decent. It intreages me to think that the explaination of the origins of Cylons would be much deeper than we think. I like the idea that Cylon origins go as far back as the Thirteenth tribe.

The only story line from this semester that I didn't like was the Cylon virus. The idea that a biological virus would spread after reincarnation seemed awfully stupid. I would have preferred that the virus killed Cylons permanently and was highly contagious.

I agree. The virus that killed Cylons and then downloaded made no sense. The disease was biological, and only information (their 'consciousness') is downloaded. Their body is not cloned.

It should've been a computer virus. It would be information. That would download into the next Cylon too. It could spread. A computer virus makes sense. They're machines after all.

Anyhow, the finale annoyed me. I liked the lawyer's pretense that he needed a cane. That was really well done. I also liked Apollo's speech, however, I found it unbelievable that the prosecutor or the judges would allow him to talk like that for so long. I also find it unbelievable that Adama would change his viewpoint because of that speech. Apollo's belief in the not guiltyness of Baltar is very believable, but Adama knows too much about Baltar to let him go.

As for the final five - oof. Nonsense. Complete nonsense. These guys do not know how to produce a story arc that spans seasons. You reveal pieces at the appropriate time and show cause and effect, progressing the story as it continues.

So what's the third season finale? They find another landmark to Earth. This is the third (or is it fourth?) time this has been done. What's more, they reveal a huge amount of the mysteries without explanation or context, hoping that sheer number will prevent people from realising it doesn't make sense. I bet the reason will turn out to be that the original exodus to Earth hijacked five cylon models and these five are meant to make sure humans make it to Earth (hence, when Starbuck died, she resurrected on Earth and probably the only way for her to reach her body was through the gravitational energies of the gas giant she died in - it's a wormhole or something). Though that doesn't make sense since the Cylon models didn't exist back then, and at least two models have shown a propensity to actually wanting to keep humans alive.

I thought about trying to come up with a better 'final five' than what is obviously being hinted at - Starbuck, Galen Tyrol, Saul Tigh, Sam Anders, and I-don't-know-her-name Woman - but I couldn't simply because it doesn't make any sense. There's no set up as to why the five are awakened. If Starbuck is one of the five, then maybe her 'death' triggered the others' remembrance. Or maybe being closer to Earth (but then shouldn't this have happened sooner)? Understand, revealing the identities of the final five but not revealing their purpose seeks to do only one thing - shock. There's no context, there's no meaning, and there's no insight. There's no set up, and no pay off. It's maddening because this could've been a proper, "OH MY GOD!" moment instead of a "WTF?!" moment. It's like Black Widow being the traitor. Just a huge waste of time, a shallow shock twist designed to bump up the next season's ratings (otherwise they would've revealed the final five when Xena saw them, if only the model she saw - but no).

That's if you ignore the fact that there are TWELVE Cylon models, and SEVEN of them are in charge of the ENTIRE Cylon race, and somehow, they are capable of misplacing FIVE of them. Cylon models, we've seen, have many copies which are almost ubiquitous and distinctly unique and recognisable amongst their own, require vast resurrection ships which are always fully populated, are kept track of for boxing, and were constructed, without the knowledge of humans, within the last 40 years - and they can misplace FIVE of them.

And the only key to finding out where/who they are lies in ancient temples constructed in uncharted space heading towards a planet in a path no one has travelled for 2000 years.

And let's not forget that Saul Tigh is older than the creation of the Cylon models. And that if there is more than one copy of Sam Anders, some how they went unnoticed during the time he was a famous superstar athelete.

The only one that makes a kind of sense is Galen Tyrol, since he actually thought he was a Cylon at one point, he was also with Boomer originally (maybe he did the sabotage Boomer thought she did in "Water"), and now he, like Boomer, has a human/cylon child hybrid. What doesn't make sense is that his baby shares none of the physiological anomalies that the Boomer/Helo baby has.

It's all horrifically inconsistent, because it's evident that when Galen says "We're Cylons. And we have been from the start." its the writers' ways of trying to pretend that had this planned from the beginning when they obviously did not. You can tell. If they did, they would slowly, and effectively reveal the Cylon models. They didn't.

They revealed FOUR (one was a random encounter, another was a background character, one was Number 6 who was always a Cylon, and the last was the surprise of Boomer) in the pilot. In season two they revealed three more (Simon, Xena, and Al) all of which where brand new characters. Until the final five, only two Cylon models were infiltrating the fleet as human, and both were revealed as such from their first appearance. In fact, EVERY Cylon model has been revealed as a Cylon in their first appearance. Except for the final five. A concept that makes no sense in the continuity the show has established, and the identities of which and their revelation doesn't work.

My point is - every Cylon they've revealed was revealed in the episode that they appeared in. The final five break this pattern and don't hold up to scrutiny. This is why I'm convinced that they didn't plan out who the 12 models were in advance (which is bizarre as they never had to say how many models there were, it would've been scarier if no one knew).

There was no final five, until New Caprica. They needed a reason to say why they hadn't revealed the remaining Cylon models, and they came up with this 'even the Cylons don't know them' nonsense.

The trial though, wasn't bad. I really liked Gaius Baltar, President Roslin, and Felix Gaeta was pretty cool too. I liked the use of the song, and Tigh's always great.

Bass pretty much summed it up right there.

However, in response to that post, Ron Moore himself has stated that for the most part he's pretty much making it up as he goes along (there's no detailed, planned story arc like in Babylon 5). Certain things are planned, sure, like them finding Earth eventually...pretty much everything else comes in on the fly. This is a shame, as this series had the perfect set-up for a slowly-revealed mythology and would have paid off very well for more detailed and pre-planned story arc.

I think its evident that Moore and company's main goal in the show is a not so subtle critique on the Iraq War, with the occasional unrelated social issue thrown in, instead of telling the story they should be telling. Instead of telling a story and creating parallels through the story, they're creating the story merely to set up those parallels...hence the often weak or non-sensical storylines we've been getting this season.

In the end, it seems a bit more detailed and long-term planning could only have improved this series overall.

But, its renewed for a full fourth season, and I'll certainly be watching (especially since my girlfriend has become such a voracious fan of the show...she went through the first two seasons on DVD in under two weeks).

Baltar's trial and Lee's speech were probably the high point of the episode. I thought Lee made a convincing arguement for why Baltar's crimes were no worse than those committed by people who are still held in great esteem that had already been forgiven. I think Adama had enough respect for the process of law and for his father that he had to openly admit that Baltar did not deserve death and was not guilty of war crimes.

The landmarks to Earth haven't been over done. The first was Kobol, which probably made one of the best stories and made sense. The next was "The Eye of Jupiter" which was a pretty weak plot point, but it made for a decent launching point for the rest of the season's revealations.

The revealation of the Final Four was pretty anti-climactic. I would infer that this means that the identity of the Final Five isn't as significant as their history/meaning/purpose. The one thing I really like about this kind of story is that it forces the issue of the Cylon's origin even deeper and proves that the Cylon's origins are not as simple or understood as once thought. The biggest proof of this is that Colonel Tigh fought the Cylons in the first war over forty years ago and is most likely older than the invention of the Cylons.

This is what started my theory. I would propose that the "antebellum" Cylons, which were believed to be the first generation of Cylons, were in fact not created humans at all but instead by the Final Five. These five humanoid cylons were created by ancient men for purposes yet to be revealed. Each generation of Five Cylons has spawned the next generation. I would infer that other seven humanoid models of Cylons were also created by the Final Five in much the same way that they were created. The Final Five share distinct differences from the humanoid Cylons that we've seen in the show so far. For one, the Final Five don't share multiple copies in the universe, they are unique but also are not immortal, and therefore don't download into a new model. Every generation must live its time then die. Their consciousness isn't lost. Their memories are added to that of the newest generation. By some method of reproduction, each of the Final Five spawns their own replacement, and there by each generation is in fact unique from the one before it, but they share the same memories and base protocols.The Cylon fleet we see in the finale could infact be there to collect the newest generation of the Final Five.

I would also put a lot of signifance of the number 12 in the show. The Quorum of Twelve representing the Twelve Colonies representing the Twelve Tribes that left Kobol. The number 12 may have the same significance.

Last edited:
Bass:

I think you really, really, REALLY nailed something significant when you talked about the difference between a ...er... OMG moment and a WTF moment. The former is the kind of thing that makes you go nuts waiting for the next episode, that makes you really think, that makes the hiatus between seasons seem interminable... and the latter is the kind of thing that inspires disappointment at potential being squandered.

Not looking to stir up trouble with hard core BSG fans, but I fairly early on, I began to feel I was missing something, given the critical and fan buzz the series has generated. I really enjoyed the "reboot" - I am not an advocate of the "lets make EVERYTHING" dark and gritty school which has taken over much of superhero fiction of late, but it really worked for me, with BSG (and that is not a knock on the original, which was a lot of fun in its own quirky, unique way!). Clearly, some of the "gravitas" came from 9/11 resonances, but the initial Cylon attack, the intriguing reinvention of Baltar (smart, slick, tricky, almost always underestimated, as opposed to the delicious scenery chewing evil of his original counterpart!), the reimagined Cylons... there was a LOT there to like. But, over time, I felt the series began to drift, and I became less and less and less sure that, behind it all, the writers really had a coherent, solid backstory.

So... great way to succinctly capture that sensation, Bass...*S*

Shadow

Bass pretty much summed it up right there.

However, in response to that post, Ron Moore himself has stated that for the most part he's pretty much making it up as he goes along (there's no detailed, planned story arc like in Babylon 5). Certain things are planned, sure, like them finding Earth eventually...pretty much everything else comes in on the fly. This is a shame, as this series had the perfect set-up for a slowly-revealed mythology and would have paid off very well for more detailed and pre-planned story arc.

What.

This is despicable. The show is written specifically to cater to the long, mystery story arc. The show OPENS with "The Cylons have a plan." Since the pilot we have had three main mysteries - Who are the 12 Models, Will they find Earth, and What is the Cylon plan? Not including all the bizarre precognitive dreams throughout the show.

AND THEY DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER?! How are we supposed to work it out if they don't know? Why are they giving hints and clues to puzzles that they don't know yet? How dare they?!

For three years they've continued a mystery story arc and they don't know what they're doing?

This could've been solved easily - I've said it from the beginning. Don't pretend to have one. They're looking for Earth. The Cylons are trying to kill them. You don't need the 12 models (not having a finite number makes them scarier) and just have their plan be "Kill all humans". You don't need this destiny bull****. They put in to hook viewers but couldn't be bother to reward those viewers by doing the GODDAMN WORK by working out the mystery in the first place? **** them. Goddamn hacks.

I want to see where Moore says this. Because I think I've had enough of downloading this show for my friends to watch. They can wait for it on Sky.

I think its evident that Moore and company's main goal in the show is a not so subtle critique on the Iraq War, with the occasional unrelated social issue thrown in, instead of telling the story they should be telling. Instead of telling a story and creating parallels through the story, they're creating the story merely to set up those parallels...hence the often weak or non-sensical storylines we've been getting this season.

In the end, it seems a bit more detailed and long-term planning could only have improved this series overall.

I totally agree. Not only that, but I wouldn't use the word 'critique' in regards to the metaphor of the current US foreign policy situation. Critique implies intelligence. This is a childish, impractical, immature, and heavy-handed use of the current political situation to make the show seem 'important'.

But y'know what? I can't be arsed to go into it. Sufficed to say, if the 'critique' was such a thing - Boomer/Athena would not be on Galactica married to Helo. Hera would not be in her possession.

And the fleet would represent the Middle East, and the Cylons would represent America. If they really wanted to discuss the situation. They wouldn't make the Cylons Nazis and the fleet Holocaust survivors.

Meh.

Baltar's trial and Lee's speech were probably the high point of the episode. I thought Lee made a convincing arguement for why Baltar's crimes were no worse than those committed by people who are still held in great esteem that had already been forgiven. I think Adama had enough respect for the process of law and for his father that he had to openly admit that Baltar did not deserve death and was not guilty of war crimes.

Good point. I had forgotten Adama's dad was the lawyer. You're right - I can see how the sentiment would make Adam equit Baltar. My mistake. I still don't buy Lee being allowed to talk that long without proper interruption, but the change in Adama, I buy. Good one.

The landmarks to Earth haven't been over done. The first was Kobol, which probably made one of the best stories and made sense. The next was "The Eye of Jupiter" which was a pretty weak plot point, but it made for a decent launching point for the rest of the season's revealations.

My problem is the story law of 'progressive complications'. Story's don't regress. You have points of no return - the story progresses to a wider and/or deeper level because it can't go backwards or repeat.

I see no different in The Eye of Jupiter and Kobol. They are exactly the same story, but have different soap opera sub-plots. Otherwise they're the same story "We found a new landmark". It's totally academic. They're not qualitively closer to Earth.

This is what started my theory. I would propose that the "antebellum" Cylons, which were believed to be the first generation of Cylons, were in fact not created humans at all but instead by the Final Five. These five humanoid cylons were created by ancient men for purposes yet to be revealed. Each generation of Five Cylons has spawned the next generation. I would infer that other seven humanoid models of Cylons were also created by the Final Five in much the same way that they were created. The Final Five share distinct differences from the humanoid Cylons that we've seen in the show so far. For one, the Final Five don't share multiple copies in the universe, they are unique but also are not immortal, and therefore don't download into a new model. Every generation must live its time then die. Their consciousness isn't lost. Their memories are added to that of the newest generation. By some method of reproduction, each of the Final Five spawns their own replacement, and there by each generation is in fact unique from the one before it, but they share the same memories and base protocols.The Cylon fleet we see in the finale could infact be there to collect the newest generation of the Final Five.

This is the problem - according to Ronald D Moore, they don't know what the origin of the Cylons are, so youre theory can never be more than supposition because the series in inconsistent. Hell, maybe they'll see your theory and go, "Wow. That's much better than ours!" and it'll show up in the show. They have a few months to scour the internet and look for the best solution to their cliffhanger and then claim that this was how it was all along.

*******s.

I would also put a lot of signifance of the number 12 in the show. The Quorum of Twelve representing the Twelve Colonies representing the Twelve Tribes that left Kobol. The number 12 may have the same significance.

This is something I'd forgotten. That's brilliant. Good catch - but I think it'll be explained away as the Cylons 'trying to be human' (which is what they said they were doing in season 2 - and somehow, they had to kill all the humans to 'be human', which didn't make sesne).

But it's a good catch.

Bass:

I think you really, really, REALLY nailed something significant when you talked about the difference between a ...er... OMG moment and a WTF moment. The former is the kind of thing that makes you go nuts waiting for the next episode, that makes you really think, that makes the hiatus between seasons seem interminable... and the latter is the kind of thing that inspires disappointment at potential being squandered.

Not looking to stir up trouble with hard core BSG fans, but I fairly early on, I began to feel I was missing something, given the critical and fan buzz the series has generated. I really enjoyed the "reboot" - I am not an advocate of the "lets make EVERYTHING" dark and gritty school which has taken over much of superhero fiction of late, but it really worked for me, with BSG (and that is not a knock on the original, which was a lot of fun in its own quirky, unique way!). Clearly, some of the "gravitas" came from 9/11 resonances, but the initial Cylon attack, the intriguing reinvention of Baltar (smart, slick, tricky, almost always underestimated, as opposed to the delicious scenery chewing evil of his original counterpart!), the reimagined Cylons... there was a LOT there to like. But, over time, I felt the series began to drift, and I became less and less and less sure that, behind it all, the writers really had a coherent, solid backstory.

So... great way to succinctly capture that sensation, Bass...*S*

Shadow

Thanks - an OMG moment is where you do the Columbo thing. Raise your fingertips to your forehead, go slack jawed, turn left, look right, and solve the case. :D

Touche, Bass! Very good assertation.

Here's my take on things:

1.) The Virus: I thought this was a brilliant episode. The incident casued the Toasters to back off some. It was established the virus somehow wrote itself into the code of the Cylon programming and would be replicated in the new body upon download. Essentially, just like Six remains "Six" when she downloads - all the imperfections in her programming that make her the individual she is - remain.

2.) FINAL FIVE: This is easily addressed by asking an important question: Why doesn't Tyrol's child have the same "signature" as Hera? That's because the Final Five aren't Cylons technically in the sense. The Temple of Five was dedicated to them - 2000 years ago! I have my typical outlandish theories, which I won't post in fear of laughter. But take all of what appear to be plot flaws and go from there and see where it leads you.

3.) SOCIAL COMMENTARY: The beauty of BSG is that Ron Moore has done what truly great Sci-Fi was created for in the first place: It is a commentary on Social, Political & Religious issues. So naturally, there will be references to 9/11, Iraq, etc. And the stories in between also have these same subjects, only we don't always recognize them because we may notbe familair with the issue at hand. Follow me?

2.) FINAL FIVE: This is easily addressed by asking an important question: Why doesn't Tyrol's child have the same "signature" as Hera? That's because the Final Five aren't Cylons technically in the sense. The Temple of Five was dedicated to them - 2000 years ago! I have my typical outlandish theories, which I won't post in fear of laughter. But take all of what appear to be plot flaws and go from there and see where it leads you.

You should post your theory. 1) It won't be laughed at. 2) It's probably more well thought out than the improvisational theatre we'll get in season 4.

REMEMBER: They Don't Have A Plan!

3.) SOCIAL COMMENTARY: The beauty of BSG is that Ron Moore has done what truly great Sci-Fi was created for in the first place: It is a commentary on Social, Political & Religious issues. So naturally, there will be references to 9/11, Iraq, etc. And the stories in between also have these same subjects, only we don't always recognize them because we may notbe familair with the issue at hand. Follow me?

I do - where we disagree is in the quality of the social commentary in BSG. I think it's awful, you don't. THUS YOU ARE WRONG. :wink:

My Theory: The Final Five are GODS and they created the Cylons in their image. They reincarnate (ie: download) and grow up and die and do it all over again. And they have been doing this for a long time. They are humans, essentially. They are just immortal. Which is why Tyrol & Cami's baby isn't testing positive for any anomolies. The Temple of 5 is dedicated to them by the original refugees going to Earth. And they are trying to bring their children back together.

That's their plan.

Time for my "What the F were they thinking":

Now - if we are going by current time lines in our real world and trying to compare them to that of BSG (using All Along the Watchtower as an approximate dating instrument - then the original Colonists arrived here soemtime around the birth of Christ. I don't like that at all. They should have arrived here much earlier - like around the time of the first city.

I have to wonder what would have happened if Tyrol had gotten Sharon pregnant. I bet he wouldn't have been one of the Final Five then, lol. Damn them for on the fly scripting. It's like I'm in a poorly written & planned out but well run D&D game. It kinda sucks but you play cos it looks cool.

How do they know frakkin ENGLISH?!?!?!?

As far as the social commentary in the show - Bass, yer talking to Americans here. We don't usually understand something unless it's thrown in our faces. Thus in order for the common , mid-west corn-bread dumb arse to understand it, they have to make it blatant - which is why you don't like it. Not everyone realizes that Who Goes There (The Thing) is a commentary on Communism, either. It's being re-made again. This time, to the current generation, it will be on Terrorists, the "hidden" enemy that may lok like one our friends. The story is so appropriate for this time period, once again.

What.

This is despicable. The show is written specifically to cater to the long, mystery story arc. The ...

[edited for length's sake since no one needs to read it twice, and if so, can do so in the original post anyway]

...Thanks - an OMG moment is where you do the Columbo thing. Raise your fingertips to your forehead, go slack jawed, turn left, look right, and solve the case. :D

I almost shat myself laughing at the majority of that. The rest I just nodded my head in agreement with.

God, I wish you weren't right all the time. Its such an annoying character flaw. ;)

Latest posts

Back