Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined)

From Science Fiction Buzz & the CIC:

"Hollywood North Report has obtained images of the covers of the three discs for the 2.0 DVD Release, due out on December 20th. (The same that Serenity is released on DVD - Buy that t00) The 3-Disc DVD set includes the first ten episodes of Season 2, commentaries for those episodes, a look at the rest of season 2 and deleted scenes. The set is going to be priced at a steep 49.98 in the US."

The pics can be viewed here, along with the above blurb:

http://galacticacic.blogspot.com/2005/11/galactica-20-dvd-covers.html

Good idea - gives people a chance to watch it on their own prior to the second half of the season starting in January. I'll pay the $50.00 - I'm sure Best Buy will have it real cheap with X-mas sales.

Captain's Hand Spoilers

The first info has arrived at GateWorld for "The Captain's Hand," an upcoming episode of Battlestar Galactica's second season!

Beware of spoilers in the report below:

Lee Adama travels to the Battlestar Pegasus, where he meets up with Kara Thrace. Lee has been promoted to Major, and Kara to Captain. The two encounter Commander Barry Trammel, now in charge of the Pegasus, who orders Kara to the flight deck while he and Lee proceed to C.I.C.

A Raptor scout group from the Pegasus is several hours overdue. Trammel is worried -- but beyond the immediate problem, he believes it is symptomatic of a larger issue on his ship: an overall lack of discipline and cohesion between the men and women assigned to the Battlestar. And when things continue to go wrong, Trammel throws the blame at the occasionally insubordinate Starbuck. He restricts her to quarters, intent on shipping her back to Galactica.

Meanwhile, President Roslin's relationship with Vice President Baltar is growing increasingly strained.

Trammel is clearly having his own command crisis, and is hurt when Lee suggests that they coordinate the search for the missing Raptors with Admiral Adama (also recently promoted) and the Galactica. If Kara's plan to find the ships doesn't work, Trammel suggests that the deaths of the Raptor crews will be on Lee's head.

Sacrifice

The first plot info has arrived for "Sacrifice," an upcoming episode of Battlestar Galactica's second season.

Beware of spoilers in the report below!

Lee, Ellen Tigh, and Petty Officer Dualla find themselves in the middle of a hostage situation when four gunmen seize control of the lounge on Cloud Nine. Three men are led by a woman, Sesha Abinell -- once a cook on the Greenleaf who only wanted to lead a normal life. Now, following the death of her husband at the hands of the Cylons, she is demanding justice: a life for a life. Her only demand is that Galactica hand over the Cylon Sharon to her.

Sesha is infuriated that Adama and Roslin continue to allow one of their greatest enemies to live in their midst, even caged. She believes that every breath Sharon draws is an insult to those who have died. Lee escapes their notice at first, but eventually turns himself over to the gunmen, hoping to connect emotionally with Sesha and what she is going through.

The situation prompts Adama to once again consider the value of the Cylon Sharon to him, and whether or not a Cylon has any real rights. Despite the fact that she has "proven" her loyalty time and time again, he will not give her the smallest measure of trust or acceptance. Finally Sharon tells him to just hand her over, if that's what it will take to convince him of her loyalty.

The Marines make an incursion to try and regain control of the situation by force, but it does not go well. Two are killed, along with one of the hostage-takers. Lee is wounded badly, and the event only exacerbates the already tense situation.

Resurrection Ship (spoilers)

Here is the plot and sppoilers for Resurrection Ship. Resurrection Ship was originally intended to be a single episode, but was reportedly expanded to become a 2-parter (a 3-parter, along with "Pegasus") when a later episode -- told entirely from the Cylon point of view -- was scrapped.

"Resurrection Ship, Part 1" - A military power struggle threatens to escalate into all-out war as the Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus attempt to join forces to destroy a critical Cylon target: a "Resurrection" ship.

Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Katee Sackhoff) prevents a potentially deadly face-off between the Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus when she arrives at the last minute bearing stunning recon photos of the Cylon "Resurrection" ship. Unable to resist this tempting target, Commander William Adama (Edward James Olmos) and Admiral Helena Cain (Michelle Forbes) establish an uneasy truce as they agree to prioritize the destruction of the "Resurrection" ship, tabling their conflicts, for now.

But Adama remains distrustful, as he learns that Cain's survive-at-all-costs attitude saw Pegasus abandon its civilian fleet months ago. Disturbed by this news, President Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell) believes that as soon as the Resurrection Ship is destroyed, Cain will jettison Galactica's civilian fleet. As the power struggle continues with Cain, Adama must make an impossible decision, on the eve of a battle that could change the face of the Cylon war.

Last edited:
More Spoilers for second half of season

Sci-Fi Buzz had this to say today:

2.11 is now called "Resurrection Ship Part 1" and 2.12 is titled "Resurrection Ship -Part 2".
The episode has been expanded after they decided to put the Cylon POV episode "Downloaded" on hold (2.17 ?? Rumour has it that this episode dealt with a "Boomer" model who received Galactica-Boomer's memories, following her shooting.

Lucy Lawless is also back for two episodes in the last half of the season, one of which was "Downloaded". Supposedly her part has been saved and will be bought into another episode as a B-storyline.

This would mean that the line up for season 2.2 is: (probably - we don't guarantee anything)

2.11 = Resurrection Ship Part 1

2.12 = Resurrection Ship Part 2

2.13 = Epiphanies

2.14 = Scar

2.15 = Sacrifice

2.16 = ?The Captain's Hand

2.17 = Unknown = was originally Downloaded

2.18 = Unknown

2.19 = Unknown

2.20 = Season Finale

The big season finale kicks off in "The Captain's Hand" with a Cylon Attack on the Pegasus. Looks like we are getting another multi-arc storyline. The season finale is a cliff-hanger
Pictures from 2.11 have started appearing at Dark Thoughts

In other news: Hollywood North Report was given access to the set for episodes 2.19 & 2.20, and information from those episodes will be appearing on their website in the next few weeks. There are also three promo shots over at Dark Thoughts as well for Resurrection Ship.

It's back - with all new episodes.

Will post something of merit later tonight! I will say Ressurection Ship Part 1 was DAMN GOOD!

Leather!

From SCIFI.com:

Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace prevents a potentially deadly face-off between the battlestars Galactica and Pegasus when she returns at the last second from her unauthorized mission in the blackbird stealth fighter, bearing stunning recon photos of the Cylons' "resurrection" ship.

Unable to resist this tempting target, Commander William Adama and Admiral Helena Cain establish an uneasy truce as they agree to prioritize the destruction of the resurrection ship, and table their personal and professional conflicts — for now.

Adama remains distrustful, however, when he learns that Cain's survive-at-all-costs attitude led her to order the Pegasus crew to abandon its own civilian fleet months ago. Disturbed by this news, President Laura Roslin suspects that, as soon as the resurrection ship is destroyed, Cain will jettison Galactica's civilian fleet, as well.

As he continues his power struggle against Cain, Adama must make an impossible decision, on the eve of a battle that could change the face of the Cylon war and decide the fate of the human race.

Essentially - both Cain and Adama ask personal confidants to take the other out - Cain and her XO and Adama & Starbuck. Next week stands to be interesting. Nail biting TV.

Season 2.5 Episode listing

RESURRECTION SHIP, PART 1
211 01.06.06

Adama and Admiral Cain must put aside their differences when they receive new intelligence about a Cylon "Resurrection ship." But a new revelation about the Battlestar Pegasus could unravel their alliance entirely.

RESURRECTION SHIP, PART 2
212 01.13.06

The Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus engage in an all-out battle to destroy the Cylon "Resurrection" ship. (SCI FI)

EPIPHANIES 213 01.20.06

As President Roslin lies on her deathbed, she flashes back to her life on Caprica and her complicated relationship with President Adar. Meanwhile, a dangerous group of Cylon sympathizers destroy the tylium refinery and demand peace with the Cylons. (SCI FI)

BLACK MARKET 214 01.27.06

Lee becomes entangled with a mafia-like group of criminals when he invesitages the murder of a Colonial officer -- and is reunited with a former lover.

SCAR 215 02.03.06

The Colonial fleet is plagued by a mad Cylon raider, a living ship that continues to assault the fleet with hit-and-run attacks.

SACRIFICE 216 02.10.06

A woman who lost her husband to the Cylons takes the Cloud Nine lounge hostage, demanding that Adama hand over the Cylon Sharon so that she can exact revenge.

THE CAPTAIN'S HAND
217 02.17.06

Lee Adama works alongside the increasingly unstable new commander of the Pegasus when a Raptor scouting party goes missing.

DOWNLOADED 218 02.24.06

Cylon society is revealed when a Cylon's consciousness is downloaded into a new body following her death.

LAY DOWN YOUR BURDENS, PART 1

The Galactica crew is stunned when the Cylons send representatives with an overture of peace.

LAY DOWN YOUR BURDENS, PART 2

I updated the timeline with tentative placements for the comic book series shipping in May from Greg Pak. In a recent interview, he stated the comic series (which I think will be made up of a #0 issue and a 12 issue run following) would take place in the middle of Season 2, after they return from Kobol but before the Pegasus shows up. And with the large amount of time between Flight of the Phoenix and Pegasus (over two months) it makes sense for it to fit here.

Also added the first couple episode titles of Season 3, which starts in October.

Last edited:
If the writers of the show are involved with the comic, I'm sure it'll be great. The season finale was a shock, but considering how short a time span the first two season's took place I feel like they would do themselves an injustice by continuing that pace indefinitely. They can't show characters experience life altering changes in there person over the course of weeks. Things like that happen over months and years.

Another show which follows a similar pace as BSG is Lost. I'm waiting for them to have a similar experience between seasons. Perhaps a time gap of even more than a year.

I'm excited for the comic. I got the novelization of the Mini Series and an original novel is coming out in July or August. Here's an interview with Katee Sackhoff with some insite into Season 3:

VANCOUVER, Canada - Katee Sackhoff, who plays fighter pilot Kara "Starbuck" Thrace on SCI FI Channel's original series Battlestar Galactica , told SCI FI Wire that her character is in for a rough time - and a new haircut - in the show's upcoming third season. Speaking in an interview on the set here of her new film, White Noise 2: The Light, Sackhoff said: "I just lost a huge battle with the producers as to my hair and what length it should and should not be." (Sackhoff's blonde hair was streaked with bright red for her role in the supernatural horror sequel film White Noise 2.) "So it's going to be gone. Shorter than it was in the miniseries, in line but not quite as short as Natalie Portman in V For Vendetta.

Sackhoff said to look for a big change in the fifth episode of the upcoming third season, after four episodes that tax the already beat-up Starbuck to her limits and kind of re-establishes her commitment to the military in episode five, which is the reason for the haircut.

Also look for a new love interest for Starbuck in the new season, though Sackhoff remained coy about whether the new relationship will survive those first four episodes. "There is another man that comes into her life," Sackhoff said. "And it's a very unlikely man. Everyone is going to be so livid over it." Don't think it will be a reawakening of Lee Adama then.

Battlestar Galactica returns with new episodes in October. White Noise 2 is in production, with an eye to a 2007 release.

leather_w0lf said:
I'm excited for the comic. I got the novelization of the Mini Series and an original novel is coming out in July or August.

Yeah, the new novel comes out in August. Its called Battlestar Galactica - The Cylons' Secret. Here's a summary from amazon.com:

Sometimes no news is bad news.

It's been twenty years since the end of the Cylon war. The twelve human colony worlds are rebuilding, and the Cylons . . . the Cylons have been just too quiet. They are nowhere to be found. The robotic race that tried to obliterate their creators has gone to parts unknown in deep space.

The aftermath of the war has created a new, illegal profession: scavenger. Tom Zarek is one, scouring the outer settlements for valuable Cylon technologies and artifacts and usually returning empty-handed. But now, he and the crew of the Cruiser Lightning have found the Omega Station, a scientific station shrouded in secrecy beyond the edge of charted space. This is it, the big score, except something is wrong…the base is still occupied, not by humans alone; by Cylons too!

The Battlestar Galactica, one of the oldest warships in the fleet, receives the Lightning's distress call, a cryptic one-word message: "Cylons." William Adama, newly promoted to second-in-command, is worried. Most of his crew are green, new recruits, not prepared for anything but the most routine missions. And, as Adama soon discovers, this mission is anything but routine. Omega is indeed full of Cylons, but also something much more disturbing . . .

Updated the timeline above to reflect that.

Last edited:
Irish, oh the timeline gets deep! From Gateworld today! This could be really good! In the tradition of Stargate and everything else Sci-Fi beats to death:

By the Lords of Kobol ... The SCI FI Channel has stunned fans today with the announcement of Caprica, a spin-off series from its top-rated Battlestar Galatica. SCI FI calls the potential new show "television's first science fiction family saga," centering on the history of the Adama family and the birth of the Cylons.

Set more than 50 years before the events of Battlestar Galactica, Caprica takes place on the capital world of the Twelve Colonies. There humankind thrives, living in a peaceful society with the benefits of high technology. But the development of an advanced, robotic, artificial life form is about to change everything.

The show is in development by Galactica executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, 24 writer Remi Aubuchon, and NBC Universal Television Studio.

Here is the network's own description of the series:

The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better. But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot -- a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the Battlestar Galactica) Caprica weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

The announcement comes as part of SCI FI's development slate of original scripted series, mini-series, reality shows, and new late-night programming, with no word on when Caprica might go into production or premiere on the cable channel. The development slate is a long-look ahead at what the network has planned and likely not a formal pick-up of the show -- and some series, for one reason or another, never see the light of day.

If the show receives an order to go into production, certainly don't expect to see it air this year.

Count on GateWorld to continue to follow developments as they happen. The third season of Battlestar Galactica premieres this October on SCI FI.

Last edited:
Very interesting...not sure how I feel about that yet. I'm excited by the idea I suppose, but also kind of apprehensive. I don't want to see them tarnishing the image of BSG with a sub-standard spin-off. Then again, as it says in the article, it might not even be happening, so we'll have to wait and see.

As long as the production standards, writing and acting are on par with BSG then I won't have a problem with this. However - I am crossing my fingers they don't do it.

leather_w0lf said:
As long as the production standards, writing and acting are on par with BSG then I won't have a problem with this. However - I am crossing my fingers they don't do it.

It sounds like an interesting idea to be sure, just worried about its execution. We'll have to wait and see.

If anything, the premise sounds like it could make a worthy prequel novel or something like "The Cylons' Secret".

Apparently there will be another Battlestar Galactica novel by Peter David after "The Cylons' Secret". The third novel (the first was an expanded novelization of the mini-series) is called "Sagittarius Is Bleeding" and deals with Laura Roslin. It seems to take place in the middle of the second season, at least from the summary:

President Laura Roslin bears a heavy burden. Since becoming the president of the twelve human colonies when the Cylons brutally attacked and destroyed all but a small remnant of humanity's billions, she has been the voice of civil authority, counterbalancing the military leadership of Commander Adama of the Battlestar Galactica. President Roslin has been a source of inspiration to the tens of thousands who survive on Galactica and the other colonial ships. They look to her for honesty, integrity, and courage. For fairness and an evenhanded rule. And most importantly, for the prophecy she has shared with them. Earth, the fabled home of the lost colony, can be found. She has seen this in a vision which has the power of truth.

Recently, though, her dreams have been darker, of a galaxy overrun by Cylons. . . . Is she having visions of an inevitable future? Or are these terrible dreams caused by powerful medication she's been taking ?

More dangerously, the Midguardians, radicals who believe that the end of humanity is coming soon, have learned of Roslin's dreams and taken them as a sign. Now, the Midguardians prepare to act.

President Roslin faces the most important decision of her life, should she tell Commander Adama about the Midguardians, and risk being imprisoned again as a traitor, or dare she keep her secret, and possibly endanger the future of the entire fleet . . .

Also, SciFi.com will be airing ten "webisodes" which take place in the several month span between Seasons 2 and 3. Entitled "Battlestar Galactica - The Resistance", the webisodes will begin airing on SciFi.com in October, to coincide with the kick-off of Season 3.

An updated version of the Battlestar Galactica timeline is available on the next page (first post) with these new additions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back