Betty Loves Fury?

Do you think that Nick Fury and Betty Ross are romantically involved now?

• Total voters
Idiots. :roll: When I saw the panel all I thought was "Wow. That's a powerful scene." Not, "Oh my God, they're holding hands and sleeping together." Grow up. There was a point made and it wasn't Fury and Betty getting it on.

And the only reason I'm being 100% forward about this is cause even if Millar turns it into a relationship, it will be one of the only bad ideas that came out of his run.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Idiots. :roll: When I saw the panel all I thought was "Wow. That's a powerful scene." Not, "Oh my God, they're holding hands and sleeping together." Grow up. There was a point made and it wasn't Fury and Betty getting it on.

And the only reason I'm being 100% forward about this is cause even if Millar turns it into a relationship, it will be one of the only bad ideas that came out of his run.

dude, calm down. in comics, movies, and televison shows, you usually don't see character interactions just for showing it. there's usually, though not always, some point behind it. and often times, intimate realtionships are hinted at rather than being openly stated.

maybe you are right, maybe not. but since it's only comic, either way it doesn't change the fact that the Chicago Bears will be in the playoffs. how do you like us now Atlanta!

Wamu said:
dude, calm down. in comics, movies, and televison shows, you usually don't see character interactions just for showing it. there's usually, though not always, some point behind it. and often times, intimate realtionships are hinted at rather than being openly stated.
I'm just saying the point could have easily been effectively used to set the mood. Without that panel all we would've had was the helicarriers come crashing down. With the panel, it gave the moment extra spice. The panel with them holding hands was good because it showed the moment of hopelessness. What would you have rather seen?

Wamu said:
maybe you are right, maybe not. but since it's only comic, either way it doesn't change the fact that the Chicago Bears will be in the playoffs. how do you like us now Atlanta!
:lol:

I voted yes. Not because I think they are involved now, but because I wouldn't be surprised if they became involved as a result.

People developping romantic relationship in time of crisis is a plot hook as old as war stories.

Given the potentially explosive triangle that would result if Banner came back into the picture, it seems a likely direction of the characters.

It's not just the hand holding, too. She's the only one who is depicted as reacting to Fury's arm being ripped off. And she does so in her own panel with a close up of her horrified expression, no less. She's also the one supporting Fury in a protective manner when he's imploring Wanda to keep her cool, even adding an uncharecteristic 'please' at the end of his sentence and thus showing some vulnerability while being held in the arm of a supportive woman.

It's not even subtle.

I can't guess how far it will go. It could become a fullblown relationship, but if the goal here is just to set up a Hulk scene down the road, it doesn't necessarily need to move much farther than sexual tension. Seeing his reaction to Freddy Prinze, we know it doesn't take much to set off the Hulk.

Last edited:
Pandrio said:
But ice and E.Vi.L., 'Do you think that Nick Fury and Betty Ross are romantically involved now?' doesn't ask if they will be in the future.

Yes, it is hard work correcting the shortsightedness of MWoF's polls by contributing valid points that go beyond the immediate and sterile discussion, isn't it?

;)

E.Vi.L. said:
I voted yes. Not because I think they are involved now, but because I wouldn't be surprised if they became involved as a result.

People developping romantic relationship in time of crisis is a plot hook as old as war stories.

Given the potentially explosive triangle that would result if Banner came back into the picture, it seems a likely direction of the characters.

It's not just the hand holding, too. She's the only one who is depicted as reacting to Fury's arm being ripped off. And she does so in her own panel with a close up of her horrified expression, no less. She's also the one supporting Fury in a protective manner when he's imploring Wanda to keep her cool, even adding an uncharecteristic 'please' at the end of his sentence and thus showing some vulnerability while being held in the arm of a supportive woman.

It's not even subtle.

I can't guess how far it will go. It could become a fullblown relationship, but if the goal here is just to set up a Hulk scene down the road, it doesn't necessarily need to move much farther than sexual tension. Seeing his reaction to Freddy Prinze, we know it doesn't take much to set off the Hulk.

You make good points.

However, to assume from that one panel they're romantically interested in one another is just retarded. Especially given the context of the scene and their apparent impending doom. Were it not for Quicksilver being on the same floor as them (or at least within three floors of them), they'd be pancakes. And the scene where his arm is ripped off is easily just as explainable as a father/daughter type relationship, instead of a romantic interest in one another.

Personally, I just don't want to see a Betty/Fury relationship. It would seem incredibly forced and out of left field, as well as just wrong. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not because of their age or racial differences (as generally that shouldn't matter), but because of their personalities. Fury is and always has been a loner. It would be an incredible burden and waste of the character to anchor him into a relationship with a somewhat flighty chick half his age. Besides, Betty's romantic interests seem to be limited to science nerds, brutish monsters, and possibly Hollywood teen stars of the moment (Freddie Prinze). There has been absolutely no evidence yet of a romantic interest between the two, and the hand holding and her comforting him after getting his arm ripped off aren't evidence of that in my opinion. I'm sure Betty could have been swapped out with Janet or even Wanda in either of those scenes and it would've worked almost just as well, perhaps with a little less emotional undertone as Fury and Janet or Wanda don't have the extended relationship Betty and he have. After all, Fury has been serving under her father for quite awhile, and most likely saw her grow up throughout her late high school and college years, and most likely she got the PR job for the Ultimates due to her late father's position (who is now no longer late, as he's working at the Baxter Building).

Final word...they're not romantically involved, nor will be in the future, at least without it coming off as total **** pulled from Millar's hairy Scottish ***.

I would vote 'no', but only because I don't think it would be a particularly good or useful plot device (then again, I don't really know where the plot is going :) )

From the discussion, I think that most of us are voting 'no' because we don't WANT it to happen... not because of what was presented in the comic - that we are trying (albeit, logically) to dismiss

A few issues ago, I would have voted 'no' to Widow being the traitor, because I didn't WANT it to be true...but, of course, it was the most obvious choice based on what we saw in the comic.

That's not really a fair comparison - one was a MAJOR 'twist' in the whole series, the other a few panels - but it may help illustrate the difference between 'do you THINK its true, based on what's there', or 'do you NOT WANT TO THINK its true, and dismiss what's there'.

Again, I'm voting 'no' based more on not wanting it to be true, but the poster who said that Millar doesn't waste panels was also spot-on. A comic is like a short story - the good ones get the most bang for their buck. :)

Pandrio said:
You both voted that Fury and Betty were involved now and then said you didn't believe they were, just pointing that out.
I actually didnt read the now part. To be honest, guess I read it wrong. But like I said: I can do what I want.

But RIGHT NOW? Don't really think so. Maybe they could have feelings for each other.

fenway said:
I would vote 'no', but only because I don't think it would be a particularly good or useful plot device (then again, I don't really know where the plot is going :) )

From the discussion, I think that most of us are voting 'no' because we don't WANT it to happen... not because of what was presented in the comic - that we are trying (albeit, logically) to dismiss

I don't want it to happen, nor do I think it will happen based on what we saw in this comic. I'm not saying it won't, I'm just saying this comic doesn't give any evidence towards that being the case, in my opinion. Like I said, just because a male and a female hold hands or show concern for one another, it really doesn't mean any romantic feelings are behind it. And were that to be the case I think it'd be the less interesting and more retarded avenue for Millar to take the characters. I mean when did the Ultimates become 90210? Hank and Janet, then Cap and Janet (she gets around...that slut needs a good smack in the mouth... ;) ), Iron Man and Black Widow, Betty and Bruce, possibly Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (blecchhh)...am I missing anyone? Oh, and possibly Hulk and Herr Kleiser...I'm pretty sure they had an involuntary quickie (at least on Kleiser's part) during the Chitauri debacle. And now Betty and Fury? The only member left of the team who hasn't gotten some extra-curricular activities going on from being on the Ultimates is Fury...and now thats going to be flushed down the drain too? Sorry, that just sucks. Its completely and utterly out of character for Nick, and just wouldn't work at all in my opinion.

A few issues ago, I would have voted 'no' to Widow being the traitor, because I didn't WANT it to be true...but, of course, it was the most obvious choice based on what we saw in the comic.

That's not really a fair comparison - one was a MAJOR 'twist' in the whole series, the other a few panels - but it may help illustrate the difference between 'do you THINK its true, based on what's there', or 'do you NOT WANT TO THINK its true, and dismiss what's there'.

I honestly don't think its true and that everyone is just reading far too much into it. And your point also works to illustrate the other side of the argument: "Do you WANT to think its true?"

Again, I'm voting 'no' based more on not wanting it to be true, but the poster who said that Millar doesn't waste panels was also spot-on. A comic is like a short story - the good ones get the most bang for their buck. :)

I don't think it was a wasted panel in that sense. Just because it wasn't meant to illustrate a romantic relationship between the two doesn't mean it was wasted. Why are people not getting this? It was a natural human reaction based on your imminent and oncoming death (which they thought was coming, only to be saved by Quicksilver). Do you think if Quicksilver had piped in with "Don't worry guys, I'll get us out of here in 0.004 of a second" their expressions would've been the same? Hell no! They'd have been apprehensive, sure, but probably have enough trust in Pietro's abilities to be sure he could do it. Therefore, no oncoming death. Therefore, no melodramatic scene of hand-holding. Because thats all it was...it was meant to show that the two most human members of the team (Nick and Betty) still felt and behaved as humans do in crisis situations. And I don't think that involved romantic interludes, at least between those two characters.

icemastertron said:
I actually didnt read the now part. To be honest, guess I read it wrong. But like I said: I can do what I want.

But RIGHT NOW? Don't really think so. Maybe they could have feelings for each other.

Thank God you posted that...I was really worried about you for a while there.

fenway said:

Heh. I just thought about what it would be like if it was a "plot device."

Scarlet Witch: Holy crap, they're killing us!

Millar-written Super-Soldier Bad Guy: Well, of course! Didn't you know? How could you really defeat well over three thousand soldiers capable of taking down the Statue of Liberty, you cow?

Fury: We only have one chance left.

Betty: Yes, darling, I know what we must do.

Fury: We will employ America's greatest strength... the power of love!

Millar-written Super-Soldier Bad Guy: How could this be affecting us?! We've planned this meticulously for years! You cow! Cow cow fat witch cow witch cow!

I appreciate everyone's response, and again, am leaning toward 'no', but I don't think its unreasonable or naive to think otherwise - if anything, Millar parobably inserted these panels for this exact reason - he seems to be a master of getting people to really care about his comic, and then create situations from the graphic (Hank and Janet in Issue 6), to the 'obvious, but just short of seeing anything' (Wanda and Pietro) to the 'wonder if that means anything?' (Betty and Fury)

All part of his evil plan! :)

fenway said:
I appreciate everyone's response, and again, am leaning toward 'no', but I don't think its unreasonable or naive to think otherwise - if anything, Millar parobably inserted these panels for this exact reason - he seems to be a master of getting people to really care about his comic, and then create situations from the graphic (Hank and Janet in Issue 6), to the 'obvious, but just short of seeing anything' (Wanda and Pietro) to the 'wonder if that means anything?' (Betty and Fury)

All part of his evil plan! :)

Trust me, this doesn't mean anything.

icemastertron said:
You never know.

I know in that I don't expect Millar to use crap character development like that...it just makes absolutely no sense. And if it does turn out that way, I'm still correct in saying it makes no sense. But it won't turn out that way, so I'm right anyway. I like how I'm right either way (and how I managed to cram the word "way" four times into that short paragraph...well five including this one).

E.Vi.L. said:
Yes, it is hard work correcting the shortsightedness of MWoF's polls by contributing valid points that go beyond the immediate and sterile discussion, isn't it?

;)

Another "MWoF is one dimensional" post. :roll: I'm disappointed in you E.Vi.L.

And Fenway. It's not about if I want it to happen or not... I don't at all... but I was really taken back by the reponses to that panel. I thought nothing of it other than wow, that's really emotional and people twisted it into the most idiotic observation I think I have ever seen in the Ultimate Comics.

Ice, just admit you think that's what's going on. You said so when the comic first came out.

I think this thread should be closed before I start hurting people. Because I feel if some of you live beyond this thread you might end up hurting yourselves.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
I know in that I don't expect Millar to use crap character development like that...it just makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed.

Latest posts

Back