Brilliant by Bendis & Bagley (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
Did anyone else pick this up? I was really looking forward to it.

It is the most boring thing I've read in a while. And that's saying a lot, because I read most of the New 52 books.

It is so decompressed that I can't be sure what the plot is. I've never seen anything like that. It looks like some college students are getting together to invent super powers, but I'm seriously not sure. I think one of the main guys is gay but I'm not sure. Usually when I have trouble telling what's going on it's because there's too much happening - this is the complete opposite. It was a bunch of college kids talking to each other.

And the art...ugh. Awful. I'm not a big Bagley fan to begin with but this looks like it's painted or something and it's just muddy and...bad.

I'm so disappointed. Scarlet was really good and I was hoping this would be too.

Thank you for falling on that sword for me. I loved Scarlet, so i wasn't sure if I wanted to risk Brilliant, mostly because, like you, not a Bagley fan.

I gave up halfway through. Boring AND ugly.

Glad it's not just me. I was worried this was some hip new thing that I didn't "get".

Maybe Bendis intentionally started this series ****ty so that when he actually writes decent issues further down the line and they get critical praise, more people will buy the HC. (Loljk) But honestly, I was so done with his horrible AVENGERS ongoing after Issue 3, and then I heard it got better - and soon it's going to dovetail heavily with the NEW AVENGERS - so I tracked down most of the issues since. BEEENNDDDIIIIISSSS!!!

Bendis had this to say about issue #2 on Twitter:

"It did come out better than issue 1. Which is what u want"

So there's that!

Is it really what we want?

THE EVENT?!

#2 wasn't much better. Is there any buzz on this book at all? It seems like Bendis isn't even talking about it.

I wonder if this was part of some kind of deal he/Marvel made to get Bagley to come back to USM.

Friday said:
I haven't bought this just because of E's review.

That is all.

I hate to think someone might not check something out just because I think it sucks.

You should see for yourself. Then we can both rant over it.

Latest posts

Back