Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Puppet Angel is annoying and I hope to never see it again.

It was cool the first 2 times I saw it. Then I saw it another 10 times. Now I wanna throw The Captain thru the ****ing TV set whenever I see the rerun on TV.

I've got puppet Angel and puppet Spike plush toy things! They're great!

I'm hoping for a puppet Lorne! :D

:lol: puppet Lorne would be great. I saw the puppet angel and spike on Ebay. Had the Angel I saw been non-vampire puppet angel I would of bought it

Eh. At this point its either get lucky with TV reruns starting at the beginning or go pick up that giant DVD box that I can't afford. I can't see either happening.

I'm sure soem kind soul here would be happy to burn you copies and mail them. I would, but I don't have a burner yet.

I've got puppet Angel in vampire form. They had one standing by the counter for 3-4 weeks in my local Forbidden Planet, and I kept looking at it, and they kept moving it closer to where I would stand to pay... One day I walked up to the counter, picked it up and got it, along with about 20 pounds worth of comics..

I'm sure soem kind soul here would be happy to burn you copies and mail them. I would, but I don't have a burner yet.

I wouldn't mind this event occuring. :)

Otherwise I'll watch them on TV Links. I really want to get into this.

How much is shipping to New Zealand?

I don't know exactly - it'd cost more depending on how big the shipment was. TOG sent me a trade once and I think it cost $10 to get here.

I just finished Season 5 of Angel.

It had it's moments....but overall I am not impressed.

A few of the highlights for me:
  • Spike returning. Not so much for the character's sake---but because the interaction between he and Angel is great. They play so well off each other. The best example of this is the episode about The Immortal.
  • Gunn dropping the hired muscle role and becoming a brilliant lawyer. What a great way to give depth to a pretty one dimensional character.
  • Wesley for being so damn Jon McClane hardcore. Ever since he stole Connor he's been all bad-***. Even restorting to double-fisting the guns and diving thru air. That's so Woo....
  • The last 2 episodes. They were really great. And what a believable way to end the series.

Other than that.....meh.

I just finished Season 5 of Angel.

It had it's moments....but overall I am not impressed.

I loved it. It was such a welcome change from seasons 3 and 4 which were so dark and unrelenting. It was great to have stand-alone episodes that were sometimes lighter or crazier.

Spike returning. Not so much for the character's sake---but because the interaction between he and Angel is great. They play so well off each other. The best example of this is the episode about The Immortal.

Can't agree more. They were brilliant together. It's the real tragedy of there not being a sixth season (or more) because we just got Spike into the show proper. What great stories those two could've had.

About The Immortal episode - clearly one of the best Angel episodes ever. But what's great is the writer of the episode, Ben Edlund (who also wrote some Firefly) is the creator of the Tick. In the live action Tick TV show, there's an episode with the world's greatest superhero called - The Immortal. The episode isn't actually anything like the Angel episode, but I found it amusing that Edlund has this "The Immortal" type show up.

I love this bit in the episode:

Ilona: Please, make yourselves as though you were at home. Your problems, they are no more. You have no more problems. What are your problems?
Angel: Our friend, she's under some sort of spell...
Spike: Cast by the vilest wretch this side of Mount Everest. Which... I'm told he has climbed... several times.

And the slo-mo brawl between Angel and Spike. "The Girl In Question" is definately one of the best Angel episodes ever.

Gunn dropping the hired muscle role and becoming a brilliant lawyer. What a great way to give depth to a pretty one dimensional character.

It was pretty cool, tho' I prefer ***-kickin' Gunn. That said, in the DVD commentaries, I like Joss Whedon's comments on why Gunn and Fred undergo such big changes - it's to stop the actors being typecast. He points out J August Richards is very smart and erudite, but Gunn isn't. So he makes Gunn a lawyer and Richards can suddenly show off his range. Same for Amy Acker and Fre - Illyria proves she's got more than one note to play. I kinda like that.

Wesley for being so damn Jon McClane hardcore. Ever since he stole Connor he's been all bad-***. Even restorting to double-fisting the guns and diving thru air. That's so Woo....

When he shoots that guy in the leg for not working on Fred's case... badass. I think his fate in the finale was pointless though.

The last 2 episodes. They were really great. And what a believable way to end the series.

They were. Really good pair. It's sad though because you can tell if they'd had another season or two, the Circle of the Black Thorn would've been far, far more in depth, filled with major recurring characters and not a couple of extras we saw the week before. :?

Still - it wasn't disappointing. Especially how Lorne leaves. Poor Lorne. I love that guy. (It was about time he got to be in the opening credits!)

I loved it. It was such a welcome change from seasons 3 and 4 which were so dark and unrelenting. It was great to have stand-alone episodes that were sometimes lighter or crazier.

I'm all for the zany. But coming off what seemed to be a 2 year narrative...the sudden change of format was kinda jarring. Kinda like watching the Vader/Obi Wan fight in Episode 3...and then watching the Vader/Obi Wan fight in Episode 4. Just such a drastic change that it can be off-putting.

Can't agree more. They were brilliant together. It's the real tragedy of there not being a sixth season (or more) because we just got Spike into the show proper. What great stories those two could've had.

About The Immortal episode - clearly one of the best Angel episodes ever. But what's great is the writer of the episode, Ben Edlund (who also wrote some Firefly) is the creator of the Tick. In the live action Tick TV show, there's an episode with the world's greatest superhero called - The Immortal. The episode isn't actually anything like the Angel episode, but I found it amusing that Edlund has this "The Immortal" type show up.

I love this bit in the episode:

Ilona: Please, make yourselves as though you were at home. Your problems, they are no more. You have no more problems. What are your problems?
Angel: Our friend, she's under some sort of spell...
Spike: Cast by the vilest wretch this side of Mount Everest. Which... I'm told he has climbed... several times.

And the slo-mo brawl between Angel and Spike. "The Girl In Question" is definately one of the best Angel episodes ever.

Agreed an all points. I could watch those to banter back and forth all day. I loved the flashbacks to when they were evil and buddy-buddy and then the quick cut to current day and see them staring each other down like that horrible roommate who drank all the oj except for the last drop and then put the carton back in the fridge.

It was pretty cool, tho' I prefer ***-kickin' Gunn. That said, in the DVD commentaries, I like Joss Whedon's comments on why Gunn and Fred undergo such big changes - it's to stop the actors being typecast. He points out J August Richards is very smart and erudite, but Gunn isn't. So he makes Gunn a lawyer and Richards can suddenly show off his range. Same for Amy Acker and Fre - Illyria proves she's got more than one note to play. I kinda like that.

kick-*** Gunn is definitely a fav.....but Lawyer Gunn is just so much more entertaining.

Acker I'm less thrilled about because I never liked the character of Fred in the first place. She just annoyed me to no end.

I'd prefer to focus on Harmony instead. Her character in the last season was just so hilarious.

When he shoots that guy in the leg for not working on Fred's case... badass. I think his fate in the finale was pointless though.

Wes was so bad-*** that at times I would laugh outloud at the thought of how he was when his character first started out back on Buffy. He could barely throw a punch....and now he carries grappling hooks in his sleeves like he's The Dark Knight. :lol:

I thought his death was appropriate. It was obvious that no one else was gonna die....and someone had to die. If they killed Anya...they had to kill someone here. And it made sense since the one thing he had to live for was gone.

They were. Really good pair. It's sad though because you can tell if they'd had another season or two, the Circle of the Black Thorn would've been far, far more in depth, filled with major recurring characters and not a couple of extras we saw the week before. :?

Still - it wasn't disappointing. Especially how Lorne leaves. Poor Lorne. I love that guy. (It was about time he got to be in the opening credits!)

I was actually glad how Lorne was portrayed in the last few episodes. Like how serious he got when Fred was dying and they thought Eve had something to do with it. Great stuff.

And how he had one last job to do before he was done. That moment was done perfectly.

I'd prefer to focus on Harmony instead. Her character in the last season was just so hilarious.

Harmony: Oh, my God! Angel, what happened?
Angel: Hamilton...
Harmony: He's not my boyfriend! Whatever he told you isn't true! I would never betray you!
Angel: Drop the act. I knew you'd turn on me. I just didn't know when.
Harmony: Wait, what do you mean you knew?
Angel: Let's face it. Loyalty... not really high on your list.
Harmony: Is that so? I'll have you know that I'm damn loyal!
Angel: Stop lying! You betrayed me! You are betraying me now even as we're talking.
Harmony: Because you never have any confidence in me.
Angel: No. Because you don't have a soul.
Harmony: I would if you had confidence in me!
Angel: Harmony, get out of the building.
Harmony: Are you firing me?
Angel: Among other things... yes!
Harmony: Do you think I could get a letter of recomondation?
Angel: [sighs] Yeah, sure.
Harmony: Okay, but if you don't live as much as the other thing...
Angel: It's already on your desk.
Harmony: You're the best!

Wes was so bad-*** that at times I would laugh outloud at the thought of how he was when his character first started out back on Buffy. He could barely throw a punch....and now he carries grappling hooks in his sleeves like he's The Dark Knight. :lol:

I love the episode in the fourth season, "Tabula Rasa" when he becomes 16 again and is a complete nerd. My fave line is when he and Gunn are fighting and Angel says, "My money's on the slave."

I thought his death was appropriate. It was obvious that no one else was gonna die....and someone had to die. If they killed Anya...they had to kill someone here. And it made sense since the one thing he had to live for was gone.

I thought Anya's death sucked too. I have a problem when someone does a season finale and then kills off a major character just because it's the finale. It pisses me off because you know that character would've gotten out of it if they had another episode. So to just kill a character in the finale (especially when you consider the point of the ending is that they all pretty much die) was rather stupid. As for Anya - she's the only one who did die (and off-screen) and that felt needless too. Meh.

I was actually glad how Lorne was portrayed in the last few episodes. Like how serious he got when Fred was dying and they thought Eve had something to do with it. Great stuff.

And how he had one last job to do before he was done. That moment was done perfectly.

Was indeed. :cry:

On the plus side, with Anya's demon nature it would be the easiest thing in the world to bring her back.

"Oh, I died but reverted back to a demon so I'm still alive" or something.

I hope that happens.

I love the episode in the fourth season, "Tabula Rasa" when he becomes 16 again and is a complete nerd. My fave line is when he and Gunn are fighting and Angel says, "My money's on the slave."

Thats actually "Spin The Bottle". "Tabula Rasa" is the episode in Buffy season 6 where Willow accidentally wipes all their memories.

Anya dying was done for Emma Caulfield as she told them she didn't want to return to Buffy spin offs or Angel again after the show, so they killed her to make sure of it.

Wes dying was really well done. It makes sense that in a battle with the ultimate tools of evil in the world, someone was going to die, and Wes had nothing left to live for, like he said to Illyria before the battle when he was tending her wounds, he could never have a perfect day again. The scene when Illyria becomes Fred once more for him as he died was really good.

Season 5 was one of my favourite seasons, not least coz Spike joined the cast (One of my 2 fave characters along with Faith). The Spike/Angel interaction was fantastic, like bickering little brothers. Nothing will ever come close to beating the Cavemen vs Astronauts arguement.

Spike: It's bollocks, Angel! It's your brand of bollocks from first to last!
Angel: You can't ever see the big picture. You can't see any picture!
Spike: I'm talking about something primal, all right? Savagery, brutal animal instinct.
Angel: And that wins out every time with you. You know, the human race has evolved, Spike!
Spike: Into a bunch of namby-pamby, self-analyzing wankers who could never hope to triumph against--
Angel: We're bigger, we're smarter, plus there's such a thing called teamwork, not to mention the superstitious terror of your "pure aggressors"!
Spike: You-just-want-it-to-be the way you-want-it-to-be.
Angel: IT'S NOT ABOUT WHAT I WANT!
[Wesley enters]
Wesley: Sorry. Is this something we should all be discussing?
Angel: No.
Wesley: It just...sounds a little serious.
Angel: It was mostly...theoretical...We...
Spike: We were just working out... Look, if cavemen and astronauts got into a fight, who would win?
Wesley: .....Ah. You've been yelling at each other for forty minutes about this?
Wesley: [thinks for a moment] Do the astronaunts have weapons?
Spike and Angel: No.

and it also has meaning later on before Fred is consumed by Illyria, when she is writhing and whispers "Cavemen win..."

Thats actually "Spin The Bottle". "Tabula Rasa" is the episode in Buffy season 6 where Willow accidentally wipes all their memories.

Meh. Every episodes the same.

:shifty:

:D
Spike: It's bollocks, Angel! It's your brand of bollocks from first to last!
Angel: You can't ever see the big picture. You can't see any picture!
Spike: I'm talking about something primal, all right? Savagery, brutal animal instinct.
Angel: And that wins out every time with you. You know, the human race has evolved, Spike!
Spike: Into a bunch of namby-pamby, self-analyzing wankers who could never hope to triumph against--
Angel: We're bigger, we're smarter, plus there's such a thing called teamwork, not to mention the superstitious terror of your "pure aggressors"!
Spike: You-just-want-it-to-be the way you-want-it-to-be.
Angel: IT'S NOT ABOUT WHAT I WANT!
[Wesley enters]
Wesley: Sorry. Is this something we should all be discussing?
Angel: No.
Wesley: It just...sounds a little serious.
Angel: It was mostly...theoretical...We...
Spike: We were just working out... Look, if cavemen and astronauts got into a fight, who would win?
Wesley: .....Ah. You've been yelling at each other for forty minutes about this?
Wesley: [thinks for a moment] Do the astronaunts have weapons?
Spike and Angel: No.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love that. And I've noticed if you bring this up, guys will start to ponder who would win.

and it also has meaning later on before Fred is consumed by Illyria, when she is writhing and whispers "Cavemen win..."

I don't remember her saying that. :shock:

This thread is gonna devolve into just Angel/Spike conversations isn't it?

I'm totally cool with that.

And yeah Bass.....she says that right before she dies and becomes Illyria. I believe it was her last words.

Latest posts

Back