Civil War: Front Lines (Spoilers)

I see this title gettin' a lot of crap from everyone. VVD makes it look real good. I don't read it, just flip through and it looks good enough. Maybe I'll take my time with the next one.

The Norman Osborne "breaking the rules" scene sounds awesome.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I see this title gettin' a lot of crap from everyone. VVD makes it look real good. I don't read it, just flip through and it looks good enough. Maybe I'll take my time with the next one.

The Norman Osborne "breaking the rules" scene sounds awesome.

It really is a great read. It's not a "must read" kinda comic.....but it helps augement the story.

My only quibble with it (...and I admit this is due to my own ignorance on the character) is Urich. Frontlines portrays him as a bumbling-down on his luck-Woody Allen type-schmuck reporter......but then in Daredevil I get the hard nosed-sharp reporter. So I'm not sure which one to view him as.

It seems like Frontline has been tasked to deal with the socio-political and moral issues of Civil War. I been enjoying it, especially these history bits at the end.

The Ceasar reference was good.

Intuitively, you'd figure it's Cap playing Ceasar's role. He's the one who has been asked by the legislators to fall back into the ranks. He's the one who crossed the Rubicon bearing arms, so to speak.

But it's Iron Man they use and it works also. After all, he always knew he was going to war by supporting the registration and in his own way he has cast the die. Good stuff.

Issue 2 was fantasic.

I loved the green goblin parts. And Speedball, he's the man for standing up for himself. The major thing I have with this whole thing is how everyone doesn't even put any blame on Nitro. I mean no one would really do that. It's like blaming the plane security for 9/11.

thee great one said:
Issue 2 was fantasic.

I loved the green goblin parts. And Speedball, he's the man for standing up for himself. The major thing I have with this whole thing is how everyone doesn't even put any blame on Nitro. I mean no one would really do that. It's like blaming the plane security for 9/11.

I think right now the country isn't focusing on one specific person for the incident. Logically speaking....you'd think that's we should focus on....but they're not. They're focusing on superpowered people in general.

The same thing happened with 9/11. Initially, it was all about blaming Muslims as a whole instead of a certain group of extremists.

I just think that Millar is doing a great job balancing the similarites of said event with Civil War. And Front Lines adding the Historic aspects at the end of each issue is great as well.

Last edited:
They are doing a good job with the reason behind everything and the characters decision making, but the whole set-up seems poor to me.

thee great one said:
They are doing a good job with the reason behind everything and the characters decision making, but the whole set-up seems poor to me.

Set up for what specifically?

thee great one said:
The whole thing. Cap's and Iron Man's fued and a whole lot of other things.

Hmmmmm.....I thought it was ok. I'm thinking the real motive behind Iron Man's reasoning will come out in the future.

Last edited:
I just read the first 3 issues.

I like this better than the Civil War series itself.

I just like how we're getting different perspectives from all different sides.

Does anyone know how this is being collected in TPB? I'd guess that it would be split up into 2 TPBs (I'm assuming that they will do this crossover like they did House of M and go straight to TPB, ignoring the HCs at least for the time being). But I haven't heard anything from Marvel.

E said:
I like this better than the Civil War series itself.
I'm starting to like this better than CW, too.

E said:
I just like how we're getting different perspectives from all different sides.
And how that's being handled is good, too.

E said:
Does anyone know how this is being collected in TPB? I'd guess that it would be split up into 2 TPBs (I'm assuming that they will do this crossover like they did House of M and go straight to TPB, ignoring the HCs at least for the time being). But I haven't heard anything from Marvel.
Yeah, if it's not in two TPB's, then they might go Sentry on it and put 10 issues into one TPB.

I just reed front line 3 too.i gotta ask who are Thunderclap and Bantman?

Man number 4 was great....... i'm really getting into the speedball mini thing, and the Green Goblin wanting interview????? ok?? i'll see how next issue goes before going wtf!

I was underwhelmed by #4.

• I'm confused by the GG and Urich bit.
  • The Atlantean sleeper agent is intriguing but not enough to make this a great read this week.
  • Maybe I might be confused about what wa going on but is Speedball getting his powers back?
  • The Vietnam comparison story was weak.

I'm feeling more sympathy for Speedball now. I couldn't believe it when his mother said she's never coming back.

As for the other stories, I liked the Vietnam ending just for the poetry behind it. Not that I liked poetry per se, but I do appreciate it when it's well placed.

ultimatedjf said:
What does he mean by "you broke the rules"?

In Millars MK Spiderman run, after Osborn was outed to the world as the Goblin, he talks about how Peter broke the rules there as well. He sees the whole Spiderman/Green Goblin feud as a game, and the letter he sends Peter at the end talks about how he has no real malice towards Peter. The whole shebang with Aunt May was just him 'stepping up the game' after Peter jailing him. After Pete revealed his ID, it meant that Osborn didn't have that to hang over him any more, and so the rules had changed...

Latest posts

Back