Comics you haven't read but should

Oh man, I wonder about that all the time, especially with TV shows. Even something as great as the Twilight Zone has obvious goofy aspects now. Will it be the same with LOST? What the hell will they think doesn't hold up a few decades from now?
I don't think they fail as goofy aspects. I think they're tired concepts now. But I always put it into perspective that those shows were the pioneers of these themes so I don't really fault them. With Lost...I guess we'll have to see what the end product is.

so i finally read the killing joke

it was good, and twisted.

i just didn't get why Batman was laughing with the Joker at the end

So, speaking of books that still hold up, despite obviously being reflective of the era in which they were created, I just recently finished Zenith. It was weird and woolly and there's not much like it out there.

From Hell - Alan Moore

Good one. I have it and haven't started it for 2 reasons: I'm intimidated by its size, and it smells funny.

Thats true of anything even remotely British.

I've been downloading a lot of British comics lately, and I love their serial format.

As have I, mainly as an extension of Miracleman. Started there, and have slowly been buying up old Warrior back issues for the Marvelman stories; Shandor, Demon Stalker; Axel Pressbutton, etc.

None of them are all that great (other than Miracleman), but they're fun, each in their own way.

All of your lists should include Jason Aaron's Scalped.

I'd been picking Scalped up since issue #1, and while I enjoyed it, it petered out in the past year and not much has happened since. I ended up selling the first 28 issues in a lot on Ebay. :(

So after wallowing in Miracleman for the past couple months, I'm going to branch out to Moore's other pinnacle works and give them a gander: V for Vendetta, From Hell, Swamp Thing, and then I'm going to give Gaiman's Sandman a try.

I am reading Preacher at the moment.

I finally read Starman and loved it a million times over.

Superman: Man of Steel was pretty good, but I'm glad most of this reboot is being retconned...

...right. Thanks Bass.

:roll:

I just got V for Vendetta out of the library and am planning to read it soonish.

What more do you want?

Also, V FOR VENDETTA is superb. The comic haunting me. I couldn't put it down, and just re-read it immediately.

I am reading Preacher at the moment.

Tell us what you think of it when you finish. I found parts of the ending wincingly bad, but there's one big moment that makes up for all of it.

I finally read Starman and loved it a million times over.

Isn't it grand?

Someone else needs to read Zenith so I can talk about it.

Last edited:
I finished Preacher last night. While it did seem to falter for a bit, I think Ennis had such a great grasp on these characters he was allowed to get away with it. Fantastic series.

So i bought my brother Essential X-Men volume 2 for Christmas and, of course, I'm reading it first.

It's really good stuff! Chris Claremont's stuff is so fun to read! (if you enjoy reading classic comics that are a bit dated, which i do).

Proteus, Dark Phoenix, Days of Future Past. Amazing.

I finished Preacher last night. While it did seem to falter for a bit, I think Ennis had such a great grasp on these characters he was allowed to get away with it. Fantastic series.

Dude, the ending was sooooooooo disappointing.

But I still think Jesse Custer is perhaps the most sympathetic protagonist in comics.

Back to comics I haven't read but should... Jamie Delano's Rawbone.

Dude, the ending was sooooooooo disappointing.

It was kind of anti-climatic but I did like where all the characters ended up. I guess it didn't annoy me that much because I always thought the plot of Preacher was kind of thin and it was more about the characters anyway.

It was kind of anti-climatic but I did like where all the characters ended up. I guess it didn't annoy me that much because I always thought the plot of Preacher was kind of thin and it was more about the characters anyway.

Well.... The whole
OMG! YOU HAVE THE SAME INITIALS AS JESUS CHRIST!
thing was just so lacking in subtlety that it pissed me off when I first read it. I feel like most people would have picked that up earlier in the series already and if they didn't then, then they should have caught the symbolism leading up to that "revelation". Also, I was expecting a more nuanced
interpretation of God beyond HE'S A BIG BABY!
but then it's Ennis, so I don't know what I should have been expecting.

OTOH,
The Saint of Killers ascending the Throne of God
was too badass for words, so I guess I can accept the failures based on the strength of that alone. I gotta admit, that Xanatos Gambit was brilliant.

Last edited:
Well.... The whole
OMG! YOU HAVE THE SAME INITIALS AS JESUS CHRIST!
thing was just so lacking in subtlety that it pissed me off when I first read it. I feel like most people would have picked that up earlier in the series already and if they didn't then, then they should have caught the symbolism leading up to that "revelation".

I always assumed that sequence was just a joke.

Also, I was expecting a more nuanced
interpretation of God beyond HE'S A BIG BABY!
but then it's Ennis, so I don't know what I should have been expecting.

On that one I read the whole thing as
God is a parasite that needs to be loved by free will possesing beings to survive. The creation of Genesis and its escape was part of his plan to gain the love of a being as powerful or more powerful than himself. Something he had to do since all hes done is move events towards beings loving him in spite of what he does and what he causes. It was a bigger high or a better meal for him.
But then thats just how I interpreted the whole thing. The series really reached its cresendo for me in
Monument Valley
and everything after that felt like wrap up. Lots and lots of wrap up.

OTOH,
The Saint of Killers ascending the Throne of God
was too badass for words, so I guess I can accept the failures based on the strength of that alone. I gotta admit, that Xanatos Gambit was brilliant.

That it was. That it was.

The series really reached its cresendo for me in
Monument Valley
and everything after that felt like wrap up. Lots and lots of wrap up.

Exactly...

And I totally agree that this is a story about characters, not really about the plot... If not for the strength of Tulip, Cassidy, and Jesse, the series wouldn't even have finished its second storyline.

Latest posts

Back