Countdown Series Discussion (SPOILERS!)

If you got Avengers Dissassembled, Fury's Secret War, House of M and Civil War, took all the good bits and put it into one crossover you'd get infinite crisis, it's a lot harder to get to grips with because it has as many ties as all the marvel events do put together..but the plus is it's a good story as opposed to scarlet witch going mad, fury going morally ambiguous, scarlet witch going mad, Iron man going morally ambiguous.

Maybe you could refer me to some DC titles that won't make me feel like my money's being wasted. Like I said, I've only been reading 52, Countdown and I read the Infinite Crisis (again, I didn't like it). I read the All-Star books which are great, and I read quite a few Vertigo and Wildstorm books. Action Comics isn't too bad, either.

I'm just saying... 52 bored me to death and Countdown's not looking too good either.

PS. I don't need a helmet, I've got a hard head.

Dude. Hard Hats are dope. You should get some spikes on top.

And yeah, if all you've read are those books, I can definitely understand how you got the impression you did of the DCU.

The All-New Atom is a great start. It's bogged down by almost no continuity, and is just classic Simone fun. Detective Comics is another good place to look, as it tells interesting, standalone stories about Batman. Checkmate is a good espionage book. There's a lot of characters to juggle, but they aren't too entrenched in continuity, and the stories tend to be more plot driven anyway. Batman is also good. And while it includes a bunch of weirdness from the Silver Age, all of this is elaborated on well enough for anyone to get. Wonder Woman and Teen Titans will both be getting good around the time Amazons Attack is ending.

I think I started with Green Arrow:Quiver, cuz it was written by Kevin smith..I thought that was a pretty good place to start as green arrow has amnesia and can't remember anything since before the crisis (on infinite earths) it kinda recaps the last 15 years quite nicely. Then I was read Morrison's JLA run. One Million was a really good event, which worked really well because it was a good story by morrison involving time travel and stuff. Brad Meltzer has started a new Justice League which is a pretty good place to jump on with that, although it has gone almost straight into crossover with Justice society (that's just started fresh too and should be good)

I think I started with Green Arrow:Quiver, cuz it was written by Kevin smith..I thought that was a pretty good place to start as green arrow has amnesia and can't remember anything since before the crisis (on infinite earths) it kinda recaps the last 15 years quite nicely. Then I was read Morrison's JLA run. One Million was a really good event, which worked really well because it was a good story by morrison involving time travel and stuff. Brad Meltzer has started a new Justice League which is a pretty good place to jump on with that, although it has gone almost straight into crossover with Justice society (that's just started fresh too and should be good)

JLA is kind of meh. JSA is great, but probably too bogged down in continuity for him. Although, if you can manage to pick it up from issue 1, you should DEFINITELY pick up Justice Society of America, Will.

The All-New Atom is a great start. It's bogged down by almost no continuity, and is just classic Simone fun.
I completely agree. The next issue should be a particularly good jumping on point since teh lst arc just ended. The next one is The Hunt for Ray Palmer and will have Mike Norton coming on as the permanent penciler.

Detective Comics is another good place to look, as it tells interesting, standalone stories about Batman.
I agree here too. I was expecting Morrison's Batman to be amazing, but its Paul Dini over on Detective thats doing exactly what I want.

Checkmate is a good espionage book. There's a lot of characters to juggle, but they aren't too entrenched in continuity, and the stories tend to be more plot driven anyway.

Heh, thats just because you don't know the continuty behind them. Like Sasha boinking Batman or King Faraday dropping Dick Grayson tips back in the Titans days. Or the whole background on Amanda Waller, ex-suicide squad cordinator and at one time Merc for Higher go-between. Theres a ton of **** int he background of that book that Rucka's yet to touch. As is I only pick up Suicide Squad issues anymore. The rest just don't do it for me.

Batman is also good. And while it includes a bunch of weirdness from the Silver Age, all of this is elaborated on well enough for anyone to get.
Stupid Morrison not getting it as right as he does on ***...

Wonder Woman and Teen Titans will both be getting good around the time Amazons Attack is ending.

I have a real love or hate going on with Teen Titans. Every time I say thats enough they do something like bring Blue Beetle in that makes me stick around. Bastards. And Wonder Woman should be great whenever Simone takes over.

EDIT: I didn't reccomend anything on my own! Go check out Robin! Its the best Bat-book running right now. Adam Beechen really has a feel for the character and Freddie Williams II is an excellent artist. The just put out the first TPB of their run not too long ago

Last edited:
Dude. Hard Hats are dope. You should get some spikes on top.

Hard HEAD. Not Hard HAT. I haven't worked in construction since 1999, but I've endured several head injuries throughout my life. (Insert "That explains a lot comment here!) Thanks for the tips. I'll check a few titles out, most likely something Green Arrow-ish.

Read the new issue. It's becoming very clear that this isn't going to be the book that I want it to be. Maybe it'll pick up. 52 wasn't immediately interesting to me either.

Zombipanda's DC fanboyism always manages to make me laugh. Don't get me wrong; I read more DC than Marvel at the moment, but I'd love to stick him and SSJmole in a room together. With no mods to ban Zombipanda when things go down the way they did in the All about comics thread.

Read the new issue. It's becoming very clear that this isn't going to be the book that I want it to be. Maybe it'll pick up. 52 wasn't immediately interesting to me either.

This book also went on the list of "Comics that Frustrated Baxter". This is deffinetly not 52. Its not even close. There seems to be alot more dancing around in this. And when exactly did Jimmy Olsen (Jimmy ****ing Olsen) learn so much about the Bat-Family. Is he going to call up Barbra Gordon and ask her about being Batgirl next?

Ugh. At this rate my list is going to slide towards marvel for the first time ever.

I think this isn't 52 for a simple reason that it is written by 1 person...not a team of the 4 of the best writers at DC

Do you think other people might join on/take over with the writing after the first arc? or will it be Dini all the way?

Last edited:
I think this isn't 52 for a simple reason that it is written by 1 person...not a team of the 4 of the best writers at DC

Do you think other people might join on/take over with the writing after the first arc? or will it be Dini all the way?

Dini didn't even write the second issue. Palmiotti/Gray did.

Dini plotted the stroyline. There will be different writers for every issue.

Yeah. Dini plots and either Adam Beechen, Sean McKeever, Palmiotti/Gray or Tony Bedard will writer the individual issues. Now each of them do good work on their normal books. So far things haven't gelled atall here.

My bad...but yeah maybe if it's different writers writing Dini's story they won't be as happy as if they had had input writing the overall story.

My bad...but yeah maybe if it's different writers writing Dini's story they won't be as happy as if they had had input writing the overall story.

Well, if they won't be happy and it'll poorly affect their writing they could always not do it. They must like something about it.

Like Baxter says these are good writers and I anticipate good things coming.

I'm torn.

On one hand I wanna like it. But on the other hand, after dredging thru 52---I don't think I can deal with another weekly series.

DC is flailing here. I'm becoming less and less interested in their stuff. Right now there are only 2 things in the DC universe that I absolutely love and wanna see more of:

Darkseid
The Source Wall (just the very idea of this is awesome)

I just don't know. And why is Ray Palmer the key to stopping all this? Of all the people....Ray Palmer?

I'm torn.

On one hand I wanna like it. But on the other hand, after dredging thru 52---I don't think I can deal with another weekly series.

DC is flailing here. I'm becoming less and less interested in their stuff. Right now there are only 2 things in the DC universe that I absolutely love and wanna see more of:

Darkseid
The Source Wall (just the very idea of this is awesome)

I just don't know. And why is Ray Palmer the key to stopping all this? Of all the people....Ray Palmer?

You could always give it a few weeks and see how people rate it, then pick up back issues if you think you'll like it.

I seem to be the only person who's really enjoying it so far... I mean, its far from the greatest writing ever, but honestly I think its out to a more cohesive start than 52 had, the main advantage being that Dini knows whats going on and how this is all going to end... Its not like 52 where at week 26 they decide something that changes the entire plot of the series... Or even the purpose of it.

There is a tone to these first issues indicative of where the series is headed... Something big is coming, it involves Darkseid, but I get the feeling it's bigger than Darkseid.

Anybody point out yet that the Week 41 cover has the Anti-Monitor's guantlet on it? I'm pretty sure thats what's going on, at least.

And finally, its pretty obvious that this is the series that is going to redeem Jason Todd as a hero. I hope they do it without killing him, because I like the weird connection between all the Robins, and honestly I want to see Robin, Nightwing, and the Red Hood to take on some big baddy together...

Actually, I have an idea for something along the lines of a Kingdom Come for the modern generation of heroes... Something where

Except my original idea was that Jason Todd would become the new Question... Maybe I'll make a thread about that, but I hesitate, because its something I honestly want to write someday. We'll see.

I just read this weeks issue. I thought it was a step up, yeah I agree with DSF Dini seems to know where he's going with this, it's still a little slow at the mo and hasn't picked up, they keep showing clips of karate kid doing nothing...just being imprisoned, I guess just to tell people He'll start doing stuff in countdown once Lightning saga is finished.

This Issue also had a back-up story, History of the DC-multiverse, I'm thinking this will parallel the 10~ part history of DCU, and maybe go on to give origins of Superman/Flash/Cap Marvel ..who were ommitted from the 52 origins (possibly because of the multiverse connections) and after the DC-multiverse finishes we'll maybe get origins of Universes, and that could incorporate the Shazam family one (mary marvel etc.), and Superman/Flash from Earth-2..Uncle Sam and freedom fighters etc. ..obviously it won't be able to get all 52 so it'll leave out DCU (new-earth) and Wildstorm and Earth Prime (if it still exists) as they're pretty self-explanitary/have already been explained.

I'm very intrigued about Jimmy Olsen..don't care too much about the rogues, although it was a cool little story put in this issue...Monitors are awsome, I wish they'd wear numbers or something so i could tell which is which when they're talking. I mean how do they know which earth each corresponds to. Black Adam is back! Good issue

4/5

Latest posts

Back