DC Nation

I read two DC comics recently that both had a character giving the finger and it was censored both times - one of them was cut off and the other one had a giant censor bar over the panel. What the hell? 1. Don't treat me like a child. 2. Why even put it in the story if it has to be censored? And why decide the best way to censor it is to put a giant ****ing censor bar over it?

Yeah, I didn't get that, either. Maybe they were trying to be funny with it...?

They shuffled Ales Kot off of Suicide Squad. after only two of his issues had been released. Two brilliant, critically acclaimed issues that had a great chance of making the book a stealth hit. That will put Kot's entire run at four issues. Didio says he was always intended to be a fill-in writer, but apparently they never told him.... or anyone else.

DC's editorial incompetence recently has been just unbelievable.

Meet the New 52 Lobo...

Lobo_D_kr.jpg

The new 52 Lobo was already shown in Stormwatch
Did that just come out? The news sites are reporting this as something new, just reported today on/from DC.

Actually, check this out:

Back when we introduced this "What's New In The New 52" column, I told you that the most important word in The New 52 is "New." We're always striving to keep things exciting, different and surprising. Which is why JUSTICE LEAGUE #23.2: LOBO (from the creative team of Marguerite Bennett, Ben Oliver, Cliff Richards and Daniel Brown) contains a major surprise – one we've had planned for a while. The Lobo you've seen so far in the New 52 is not who you think he is. In this one-shot, you'll be introduced to the real Lobo. A ruthless killer, Lobo is on a quest to kill the man who has taken his name.

Last edited:
I don't understand keeping a name if you feel like you have to change a character so drastically. Just make it a different character and keep Lobo as Lobo (at least the defining characteristics of the character).

Forever Evil is going to be about the DC villains staging a resistance movement against the evil versions of the Justice League from Earth 3.

They're totally going to underutilize the Crime Syndicate of America. But I know how to do it right. Ultraman as the despot of Metropolis. Superwoman as an Amazon princess sold into slavery following a bloody coup who grew up and exacted revenge on the Greek pantheon. Owlman as Thomas Wayne Jr. who murdered his family as a show of loyalty and became the head of the Court of Owls. Johnny Quick as a three generation legacy bandit. Power Ring as an emotional parasite indentured to an ancient, evil god.

I'll post something soon.

Last edited:
So just read Justice LEague 23, which introduces the Crime Syndicate. And it seems to me like they just didn't know what to do with the new Atom, so they made her part of the bad guys. Though it was probably from the beginning, with the quickness DC has been changing things lately, I doubt it.

The Grid is just plain odd, and seems to be shock value.

The Dues Ex Machina is the prisoner, who will turn out to be their downfall. It's probably Lex.

Whenever Owl Man talks, I hear James Woods.

But yeah, they seem to be the original Crime Syndicate, rescued from their universe. That has a bigger implication than this whole evil thing going on.

So I've got to say that the 3D covers looked nicer than I expected them to. If my store actually gets any rack copies in I might pick one or two issues up.

I'm a few issues behind on this but now I probably won't bother catching up. At least not for a while.

DC just doesn't seem to be doing much right by their creators.

So I've got to say that the 3D covers looked nicer than I expected them to. If my store actually gets any rack copies in I might pick one or two issues up.

I usually chat with the owner of the comic shop I frequent every week and he's really not happy with DC in general, but particularly with the 3D covers.

The covers were printed months ago and apparently before they had orders in, so they are severely underprinted. He received a fraction of covers he ordered, and not even enough to cover pulls. It makes him look bad because these customers are pulling books so they are guaranteed to have copies, and now they have to settle for the 2D covers. Apparently DC is pushing people to just get digital copies if they missed out, but that totally defeats the point of the 3D covers; it's an incentive you can only get in print.

He was talking to another local store owner and they delivered less than a third of his ordered 3D covers.

He thinks that DC is trying to push more toward digital in general. They can make significantly more money on issues by eliminating printing and shipping costs and charging the same cover price. On top of that, many of the combo books that include digital copies are $5.99, which is ridiculous.

DC is just doing a lot of things wrong right now.

I'm a few issues behind on this but now I probably won't bother catching up. At least not for a while.

DC just doesn't seem to be doing much right by their creators.

I usually chat with the owner of the comic shop I frequent every week and he's really not happy with DC in general, but particularly with the 3D covers.

The covers were printed months ago and apparently before they had orders in, so they are severely underprinted. He received a fraction of covers he ordered, and not even enough to cover pulls. It makes him look bad because these customers are pulling books so they are guaranteed to have copies, and now they have to settle for the 2D covers. Apparently DC is pushing people to just get digital copies if they missed out, but that totally defeats the point of the 3D covers; it's an incentive you can only get in print.

He was talking to another local store owner and they delivered less than a third of his ordered 3D covers.

He thinks that DC is trying to push more toward digital in general. They can make significantly more money on issues by eliminating printing and shipping costs and charging the same cover price. On top of that, many of the combo books that include digital copies are $5.99, which is ridiculous.

DC is just doing a lot of things wrong right now.

Oh absolutely. I order exactly three dc books now and I don't expect that to change. And the 3d cover was a mess in execution, but they did look cooler than I expected.

9/27/2010 - Bob Harras is named DC Comics' Editor-In-Chief. Harras held the EIC position at Marvel Comics from 1995-2000.

And wasn't he really, really bad at it? That was the bankruptcy era...

That timeline really is amazing; to see all of that laid out in one place. There is no direction over there at all.

I'd love to hear James Tynion's thoughts on this but doubt he would jeopardize his job, and I don't blame him.

I know that Marvel has long carried the largest portion of the market, but the contrast between their move (specifically Joe Quesada's) to be more creator-friendly however many odd years ago and DC's complete mismanagement of their creators is glaring.

And wasn't he really, really bad at it? That was the bankruptcy era...

That timeline really is amazing; to see all of that laid out in one place. There is no direction over there at all.

I'd love to hear James Tynion's thoughts on this but doubt he would jeopardize his job, and I don't blame him.

I know that Marvel has long carried the largest portion of the market, but the contrast between their move (specifically Joe Quesada's) to be more creator-friendly however many odd years ago and DC's complete mismanagement of their creators is glaring.
Man, whats the point in having a man on the inside if we don't get all the dirt? Maybe in a secret forum that only veterans have access to...

Well, from what his bosses are concerned with he is. Sales for the company are up, the market as a whole is up. As much as I don't agree with a lot of the creative decisions he may or may not have had a hand in he's done his job.

Well, from what his bosses are concerned with he is. Sales for the company are up, the market as a whole is up. As much as I don't agree with a lot of the creative decisions he may or may not have had a hand in he's done his job.

This is why you vote with your wallets, people. if you don't like what is happening, stop supporting it.

This is why you vote with your wallets, people. if you don't like what is happening, stop supporting it.

And this is why I'm down to 3 ongoing DC books.

Remember when I was the DC guy on this board? This is how far its come.

Latest posts

Back