DC Nation

It was 2 days when I looked at it and its back to 0 again.

I'm not sure that cancelling a book is something stupid - I was hoping they would stick with stuff like before, where they spoil a book via press release 2 full weeks before it comes out.

Complaining about cancelling a little-regarded book is a little too fanboy-angsty.

I think its more they cancelled books that were selling well to make room for these books that didn't. And complaining some more about the death of vertigo.

I think its more they cancelled books that were selling well to make room for these books that didn't. And complaining some more about the death of vertigo.

Um, what hot-selling books did they get rid of?

I'm sad to see Demon Knights and Dial H go, but I never got the impression they had stunning sales.

You're saying Demon Knights and Dial H were selling well and they cancelled them to make room for other books? What are the other books?

Maybe I misunderstood what was going on. But like Zombi said I didn't think they were particularly popular books.

You're saying Demon Knights and Dial H were selling well and they cancelled them to make room for other books? What are the other books?

Maybe I misunderstood what was going on. But like Zombi said I didn't think they were particularly popular books.

I never said hot sellers. They pointed out that the Vertigo book, Madama Xanua or whatever her name is was selling well. They cancelled that so she can appear in Demon Knights. Also that Dial H would have been a better Vertigo book. And that they are waiting for Constantine to cancel.

I never said hot sellers. They pointed out that the Vertigo book, Madama Xanua or whatever her name is was selling well. They cancelled that so she can appear in Demon Knights. Also that Dial H would have been a better Vertigo book. And that they are waiting for Constantine to cancel.

You could argue that folding the Vertigo books in to the DCU was a PR disaster but, uh, that was almost three years ago. The whole Vertigo snafu was roughly three years ago. From a business perspective, it made a decent amount of sense. Xanadu was never that great a seller and Hellblazer's sales were flagging; and while Vertigo had started out as an imprint using DC characters to tell stories "too mature" for the main line, that hasn't been the case in quite some time. By the time of the reboot, the majority of Vertigo's output was creator owned books, and had been that way for years. The end result was that Constantine and Xanadu (and maybe Swamp Thing? Was that still being published at the time?) were cancelled. It's not like they folded the majority of Vertigo to put characters back in the DCU. And we got Swamp Thing and Animal Man, which don't seem to have suffered from being put under the DC banner. The quality suffered some from the crossover but there doesn't seem to be any attempt on DC's end to censor mature content, and both books seem to be headed back in the right direction now. As for Constantine, it's not that bad. People rag on it for not being Hellblazer, but Hellblazer was around for a long time and while it had its high moments, there was a good deal of mediocrity too.

And then there's Dial H, which honestly may as well have been a Vertigo book. It's been left to basically do its own thing without interference from the rest of the DC line and it was personally edited by Karen Berger, who would have been doing it under the old Vertigo. There aren't any rumors going around that China has suffered from the authoritarian editorial mandates some other books have. If I were to guess, I'd say it's a good book but not a great book, and that probably has more to do with Mieville not having any comic book experience than with what imprint it was written under.

DC has made plenty of mistakes with the reboot, but this just sounds like fanboys looking for an excuse to be outraged.

Edit: They are totally on the money about the "52 book" mandate though. Churning out half-cooked books just to meet some magical number is a tremendously silly way for them to handle their publishing. As is books that are getting cancelled 6-8 issues in, with the announcement happening barely after the first issue has hit shelves. If you're confident enough to give a book the greenlight, you should at least be confident enough to let it run at least a year. It's just a sloppy and haphazard publishing model.

;) It's almost as ridiculous as having a whole web page dedicated to how furious you are with a company that produces superhero comics.

Last edited:
You could argue that folding the Vertigo books in to the DCU was a PR disaster but, uh, that was almost three years ago. The whole Vertigo snafu was roughly three years ago. From a business perspective, it made a decent amount of sense. Xanadu was never that great a seller and Hellblazer's sales were flagging; and while Vertigo had started out as an imprint using DC characters to tell stories "too mature" for the main line, that hasn't been the case in quite some time. By the time of the reboot, the majority of Vertigo's output was creator owned books, and had been that way for years. The end result was that Constantine and Xanadu (and maybe Swamp Thing? Was that still being published at the time?) were cancelled. It's not like they folded the majority of Vertigo to put characters back in the DCU. And we got Swamp Thing and Animal Man, which don't seem to have suffered from being put under the DC banner. The quality suffered some from the crossover but there doesn't seem to be any attempt on DC's end to censor mature content, and both books seem to be headed back in the right direction now. As for Constantine, it's not that bad. People rag on it for not being Hellblazer, but Hellblazer was around for a long time and while it had its high moments, there was a good deal of mediocrity too.

And then there's Dial H, which honestly may as well have been a Vertigo book. It's been left to basically do its own thing without interference from the rest of the DC line and it was personally edited by Karen Berger, who would have been doing it under the old Vertigo. There aren't any rumors going around that China has suffered from the authoritarian editorial mandates some other books have. If I were to guess, I'd say it's a good book but not a great book, and that probably has more to do with Mieville not having any comic book experience than with what imprint it was written under.

DC has made plenty of mistakes with the reboot, but this just sounds like fanboys looking for an excuse to be outraged.

Edit: They are totally on the money about the "52 book" mandate though. Churning out half-cooked books just to meet some magical number is a tremendously silly way for them to handle their publishing. As is books that are getting cancelled 6-8 issues in, with the announcement happening barely after the first issue has hit shelves. If you're confident enough to give a book the greenlight, you should at least be confident enough to let it run at least a year. It's just a sloppy and haphazard publishing model.

;) It's almost as ridiculous as having a whole web page dedicated to how furious you are with a company that produces superhero comics.

Well said, and you hit the nail on the head in terms of publishing 52 titles just to match up to the number of "universes" they have. I always found that ridiculous, personally, especially when only a handful are any good.

Well said, and you hit the nail on the head in terms of publishing 52 titles just to match up to the number of "universes" they have. I always found that ridiculous, personally, especially when only a handful are any good.

I get the feeling that some of the books were never intended to last very long -- books like Team Seven which were cancelled while the ink was still wet -- but were instead intended just as placeholders until they could line up the creative teams for the real replacements. Better than to solicit them as miniseries, which are pretty doomed to failure from the start.

But they seem to be abandoning the 52 book format. The last few months solicited have less books than that, so hopefully they'll be working on tightening up the product they are putting out.

The rumor is, they may be winnowing back their output to launch a few weekly books but that may have been postponed for the time being.

I think the quality of their output has generally been on par with the general output of superhero comics over the past decade ;) but that's hardly a glowing endorsement. It's just a shame that the relaunch has create product that's average or slightly better rather than a more radical shift to the superhero book model.

Last edited:
I was just pointing out the points they were trying to make, not that I agree with them. I am trying to catch up on all my comics, so I am only currently reading the 2nd issues of the New 52 so I'm no expert.

On an unrelated note, it's a shame Diggle isn't staying on Action Comics. His run is off to a clever start and Daniels' art is a surprisingly beautiful fit.

I suspect editorial influence to blame.

Stupid DC

James Robinson is leaving Earth 2 after issue 16, though he had grand plans and all that. I assume Editoral is too blame here as well. I loved Earth 2, found it refreshing and interesting, much better than all the other books coming out, but something happened, and Robinson is now out of DC Comics.

Stupid DC.

I also liked Dial H for Hero and Demon Knights, both are also ending soon I believe.

Boo.

Earth 2 started out great and then got too needlessly complicated.

I liked Dial H at first too but it got weak very quickly.

Did anyone read Batman 66 #1? The print version doesn't come out for 2 more weeks but there is a version in Comixology made for Guided View that works similar to the Marvel Infinity issues.

Anyway it is a new series that takes off from the old Adam West Batman TV show. The styling is reminiscent of that. Mike Allred does covers (or at least did the first).

Even if it wasn't very entertaining it would be worth buying (the digital version is only 99 cents) just for the art. It looks great.

Just read Batman-Superman #1 and was underwhelmed. Part of it is because I just don't like the New 52 Superman.

Jae Lee's art is great, though. Might be enough to keep me reading.

I was confused by it. But then again, it doesn't take much to confuse me.

I caught up with Stormwatch.

Talk about a cluster****.

So Jim Starlin took over, erased the current team from history completely, replaced it with the Engineer, Apollo and Midnighter all with there old designs and costumes, added a masked man, someone called the Wierd, who is the bodygaurd to a person known as Jenny Soul, the green guy from Wildstorm, Farhenhit I think his name was, and who knows who else.

The reason? When MErlin was born at the dawn of the universe, something showed up and killed him. And evidently it only changes the team members.

WHAT'S THE POINT?

I feel like the Green Lanterns are a mess right now. All of them. The attempt to make Red Lanterns more accessible by adding Guy didn't entice me at all.

Demon Knights I continue to enjoy. Shining Knight's descent into madness is an interesting topic, and now that the horsewoman is cured it should be interesting to see what she is like. Vandal Savage continues to be a hoot.

Green Arrow with Jeff Lemuire writing it hasn't really struck me yet. I hope it does soon.

And I'm still wondering why DSF killed Talon.

I read two DC comics recently that both had a character giving the finger and it was censored both times - one of them was cut off and the other one had a giant censor bar over the panel. What the hell? 1. Don't treat me like a child. 2. Why even put it in the story if it has to be censored? And why decide the best way to censor it is to put a giant ****ing censor bar over it?

Six months from now, all 47 titles (there's not even 52 now, right?) will be written by the same four guys - and three of them will be editors. **** DC.

Is anyone reading The Movement? I want to like it but still it's not selling me. I think it's the weak characters.

Latest posts

Back