DC Nation

And this is why I'm down to 3 ongoing DC books.

Remember when I was the DC guy on this board? This is how far its come.

I'm trying to think of the DC books I buy every month. Batman '66, Trillium, and I think that's it.

Villains month has been awful. Most of the stories are terrible.

On top of that, one DC title I do like is Batman/Superman and I have the combo pack pulled at my LCS because I like having the digital version. Because of the 3D covers (presumably) they didn't have a combo pack version this month only, and they expect anyone who wants a digital version as well to pay full cover price again for it. On top of that, they botched the print runs for the 3D covers so badly that I didn't even get the 3D cover for that book because my LCS was shorted so bad.

DC really sucks and is run very poorly.

Villains month has been awful. Most of the stories are terrible.

I only read four of the batman ones. The Riddler one was the only one I would consider good. I just feel like it is a waste of time to put every ongoing storyline on hold for a bunch of meandering one-offs.

I only read four of the batman ones. The Riddler one was the only one I would consider good. I just feel like it is a waste of time to put every ongoing storyline on hold for a bunch of meandering one-offs.

The only ones that stick out in my mind as good were the Ra's Al Ghul one and the Court of Owls one, both written by James Tynion IV.

The Scarecrow one was so boring and bland that I couldn't even finish it.

The only ones that stick out in my mind as good were the Ra's Al Ghul one and the Court of Owls one, both written by James Tynion IV.

The Scarecrow one was so boring and bland that I couldn't even finish it.

I've skimmed over a few of them and the only ones that have interest to me are the ones that are being used to more or less just continue the story in the core book. Green Arrow/Count Vertigo, Wonder Woman/First-Born, Dial H/Dial E. Honestly, I thought Court of Owls was pretty mediocre, but it may have been more fulfilling if you read that book. It just felt too much like an infodump to me.

Honestly, I've barely wasted any time or money on this event, and that's fine. I don't mind not buying DC books for a month and it's clearly driven up sales for DC and shops for October, so you can't complain about that.

NYCC: MANAPUL & BUCCELLATO GO GOTHAM FOR "DETECTIVE COMICS"

1381343671.jpg

:rockon:

I don't get this. In a day and age where you can video conference with someone on a phone I don't understand the need to spend millions of dollars to relocate a publishing division to Hollywood. I'm guessing a lot of lower-level employees are going to lose their jobs because they either won't be able to make the move or won't be "important" enough to pay to relocate.

I don't get this. In a day and age where you can video conference with someone on a phone I don't understand the need to spend millions of dollars to relocate a publishing division to Hollywood. I'm guessing a lot of lower-level employees are going to lose their jobs because they either won't be able to make the move or won't be "important" enough to pay to relocate.

It makes perfect sense to me.

It makes sense from a financial perspective. Rent in Manhattan is prohibitively expensive and given that Warners already has property in Burbank, it doesn't make sense to keep paying for a New York office just for one of their least profitable subsidiaries.

It makes sense from an internal business perspective. Yes, the internet and video conferencing and all that makes it easier to have employees anywhere in the world, especially for creatives. But executives like face-to-face meetings and having a centralized location is key when you have editors who ideally are going to be in touch with each other on a regular basis. Casually wandering over to the office next door or meeting socially outside of work nurtures a better team environment than relying solely on scheduled phone meetings.

It makes sense from a perspective of restructuring. Yes, let's be honest, this probably is an excuse for DC to scuttle a number of older employees and bring in some fresh blood. The editorial situation at DC right now is a bit of a hot mess and changing the landscape of the company is probably a good thing. Whether they approach it the right way is another question. But I doubt anyone will be leaving because they can't afford to move. We'll see people DC intends to get rid of anyway shown the door and we also might see some people not moving because of family obligations, but Warners has already announced that they'll be offering their employees relocation bonuses. I doubt anyone that they really want to keep around won't be kept around because they can't afford to move.

And it makes sense from a larger business perspective. Let's be honest, DC the comic book publishing company isn't that valuable to Warner for the profits it pulls in. Standing next to any of the other media divisions, it's the runt of the litter. DC the idea factory is a valuable commodity, though. Superhero movies and superhero TV are big business. Marvel's dominating the market by having their publishing and film divisions working together. DC, meanwhile, has largely floundered to get comic property projects off the ground in film. Moving these divisions together, where publishing and film can regularly collaborate seems like a no-brainer.

I suspect we'll see Marvel doing some aggressive editorial headhunting in the next few months, though.

Last edited:
As someone who has worked in companies that span the world, having a centrally located business is a great idea. It promotes communication more than you think.

Has anyone read Grayson #1?

The issue wasn't bad, but Grayson as a super spy and not as Nightwing is just so odd. I want Nightwing. :(

The issue wasn't bad, but Grayson as a super spy and not as Nightwing is just so odd. I want Nightwing. :(

I just want Happy Batman. That's who Dick Grayson is. He's Bruce Wayne who made it through his loss and became an adjusted human being. And DC can't seem to let him exist. They want to kill him. The ****ing raped him. They move him from city to city to city and have him tortured and out him and its all bull****. Just let him be Happy Batman. Let him run around Gotham taking down B listers and the occasional A lister and have relationship problems because he's a man whore and I'll but the **** out of that book. But every time within Ten issues they drop the happy Batman premise in an attemp to shake up a status quo that never got established in the first place for a character that'll never have blockbuster sales. Stop chasing them DC. Just let him be Happy Batman.

Yeah, I didn't care for it and won't be continuing with it. Just wasn't interesting.

I just want Happy Batman. That's who Dick Grayson is. He's Bruce Wayne who made it through his loss and became an adjusted human being. And DC can't seem to let him exist. They want to kill him. The ****ing raped him. They move him from city to city to city and have him tortured and out him and its all bull****. Just let him be Happy Batman. Let him run around Gotham taking down B listers and the occasional A lister and have relationship problems because he's a man whore and I'll but the **** out of that book. But every time within Ten issues they drop the happy Batman premise in an attemp to shake up a status quo that never got established in the first place for a character that'll never have blockbuster sales. Stop chasing them DC. Just let him be Happy Batman.

This is an interesting take. I never thought of him as "happy Batman" when he was filling the role during Grant Morrison's run but that's basically what it was. Huh.

As for him as Batman - since they killed Batman Incorporated there isn't really a place for him as Batman, unfortunately.

Why is Batman okay with him using a gun and, I'm assuming, killing people?

Yeah, I didn't care for it and won't be continuing with it. Just wasn't interesting.

This is an interesting take. I never thought of him as "happy Batman" when he was filling the role during Grant Morrison's run but that's basically what it was. Huh.

As for him as Batman - since they killed Batman Incorporated there isn't really a place for him as Batman, unfortunately.

But he doesn't need to be called Batman to be happy Batman, he can still be Nightwing and essentially be a happy version of Batman.

Latest posts

Back