DC Universe Online

Re: DC, Jim Lee to collaborate on DC-based MMORPG

I don't think these MMORPGs are going to work. People want to play as their favourite character, but it's obviously not going to be very realistic if there are multiple versions of characters. The only way I can see this way working is if there are multiple servers, and one of each hero on each one. Of course, this would mean there would have to be thousands of servers, because everyone will want to be Batman. :lol:

Heh, Crisis of Infinite Servers.

And if you just create your own character and the other heroes/villains are NPCs... well, that's just lame.

And if something had changed, and I had seen it, I would have posted. Quoting something I said a year ago and asking if I'm sure isn't just wondering if I'm sure that's how it is now. And if you've seen so, why not post yourself?

And I didn't say you were accusing me of making anything up. Read the posts correctly.

I know you didn't say I was accusing just trying to make sure

The quote thing sorry I actually did not and see the date I only just this thread so I assumed it was new My mistake.

and I only asked because I check IGN.com , gamespot and various over sites again I assumed thread was new so I thought Cool there be new article and wanted to see if it had any new pics or info for me.

but back on the dc topic I see it is made by SOE like first post said. I've played one Sony on-line game that was galaxies (unless everquest was made sony i forget) I loved galaxies it had a perfect mix of space , sabers , blasters ect.... as a big star wars fan I tripped out on that game. Seeing jabba , meeting vader , han and more.

Then the changed the combat system my character reset to 0 and thought bugger it i'm not doing that again.

But with that game using stuff like landspeeders ect.... On the DC if you are batman or your own character you might have the bat-mobile or *insert your name*-mobile that is very very cool

also i'm curious as to how they'll do Kryptoians. They have 3 choices all of which do not look good. 1)make them very watered down 2)like they are in comics which is unfair and too powerful for this type of game or 3) do not have them

1+3 = piss off superman fans , 2= piss off gamers what ever they do they'll mess it up.

Edit

And if you just create your own character and the other heroes/villains are NPCs... well, that's just lame.

Not really. If you wwant to play as dc created character that is what games like the Justice League one is for.

MMROPGs are about Customization and inserting your own character in their universe and if done right will be fun.

Last edited:

That's another reason why this is doomed to fail. You can't have 4,500 Last Children of Krypton flying around.

That's another reason why this is doomed to fail. You can't have 4,500 Last Children of Krypton flying around.

superman last son

then you can

-have last daughter
-last mother
-last father
-last retarded cousin jimmy-bob who no one invites to family functions

:lol:

I don't understand why this is doomed to fail...
You make your character in the beggining of World of Warcraft... I don't think that people got mad because they couldnt use Lothar, Illidan or Grom. Playing in that world is what people want, make their own avatars in the game.
It will be awesome if you can do some quests with Batman or Superman, but Im almost sure you will not be able to play with them.
Actually I would say that if in the Marvel MMO you can play with their characters and not be able to make your own, then Marvel will fail... or have really a really low number of signatures. I mean you enter the game and suddenly thousands of Spider Men are swinging through New York....that's just bad.

Im looking forward to DC MMO, I think Ill buy a PS3 next month :D

Last edited:

Bass Version 2.0 said:
I don't think these MMORPGs are going to work. People want to play as their favourite character, but it's obviously not going to be very realistic if there are multiple versions of characters. The only way I can see this way working is if there are multiple servers, and one of each hero on each one. Of course, this would mean there would have to be thousands of servers, because everyone will want to be Batman.
I think the bigger problem that an MMORPG featuring LICENSED superheroes faces is not the issue of player-ownership of characters, but the management of that world.

How does the gameworld flex around your actions? How do you keep the environment dynamic? What real game-oriented consequences can the gameworld and its moderators support? Emergent behavior is an important concern for all MMORPGs or any game that is ostensbily 'open-ended' in design.

What if Reed Richards dies? If he comes back, how do you penalize the character? Do you take away his 'experience? Do you take away his abilities? Nerf him down a few levels? Problems there.

What if Stephen Strange engages in PKing? How do you reconcile that concept with the character? Would it be proper for us to assume that all player-characters are acting out of character?

I don't think an MMORPG can work without giving these questions some REAL thought and with REAL solutions.

Here's an idea? How about FORGET an MMORPG, but instead a Multiversal Online RPG? Rather than have one central community existing as a persistent environment, every gamer can be his own universe. User-maintained servers (it would be insane to expect any company to maintain multiple universes) where no one owns any character. Rather, each game session begins with everyone getting assigned characters. But no one KEEPS the character. Sure, you could play Peter Parker EVERY gaming session, but only if everyone in your game lets you.

I have more ideas, but I'm hungry and now I will have a Pop Tart.

Here's an idea? How about FORGET an MMORPG, but instead a Multiversal Online RPG? Rather than have one central community existing as a persistent environment, every gamer can be his own universe. User-maintained servers (it would be insane to expect any company to maintain multiple universes) where no one owns any character. Rather, each game session begins with everyone getting assigned characters. But no one KEEPS the character. Sure, you could play Peter Parker EVERY gaming session, but only if everyone in your game lets you.

That sound like the online mode in Ultimatge alliance

Last edited:

I have more ideas, but I'm hungry and now I will have a Pop Tart.

Wouldn't this be like any multiplayer game? Lets take Diablo 2 as example. You create your room, your "universe" and play with the character you choose. You still can play with other friends and their characters or go to another "universe" and use your char... The only difference would be playing with very important characters...

Wouldn't this be like any multiplayer game? Lets take Diablo 2 as example. You create your room, your "universe" and play with the character you choose. You still can play with other friends and their characters or go to another "universe" and use your char... The only difference would be playing with very important characters...
Yes. That is why I don't call it an MMORPG.

As long as I can play as Howard the Duck, I'm happy.

:shock:

Have you read any of my posts, ever?

Ask Ourchair what's wrong with Jim Lee. He'll tell you, so he will.

I don't even know the name :lol: I just know I'm looking forward to the game

Latest posts

Back