DC Universe Online

Doc Comic

From Superhero Hype!:

DC Comics, the largest English language publisher of comic books worldwide and the home of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman; Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a global leader in the online games industry; and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE), a premier developer and licensor of entertainment content in the interactive space, have announced plans to collaborate with legendary comic book illustrator Jim Lee to work on a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMO) based on the DC Comics universe.

SOE will be developing and publishing a game based on the DC Comics universe for next generation gaming platforms and the PC. It is expected that Lee will serve as Executive Creative Director on the game, bringing his artistic flair and talents to the world of online gaming for the first time.

"My position at DC has afforded me the amazing opportunity to dive into projects I am most passionate about. The DC MMO is no exception and joins my current commitments to All-Star Batman and Robin with writer Frank Miller and the upcoming WildCats series with visionary Grant Morrison as dream projects," said Jim Lee. "The truth is that I love gaming as much as I love drawing and telling stories and look forward to bringing the DC Universe to life for players and comic book fans all around the world."

"As a passionate online gamer and one of the most creative talents ever to work with the DC heroes, Jim is the perfect person to help build an online DC universe that our fans can become part of on a daily basis," said DC Comics President and Publisher Paul Levitz. "The SOE team, working with Jim's creative guidance, are building a new way for gamers and comic fans to unite and enjoy our legendary characters and their complex universe."

"We couldn't be happier to have an icon like Jim Lee involved with this project," said John Smedley, President, Sony Online Entertainment. "SOE, WBIE and DC will be working together closely on this project and Jim's contributions will be key to bringing the amazing world of DC Comics to life online."

"Utilizing his outstanding and widely revered talent, Jim Lee's ground-breaking work on the DC MMO will help lend authenticity and strength to the game's design," said Jason Hall, Senior Vice President of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "His iconic art style and creative direction will enhance the look and feel of the game overall."

"What intrigues me most about the DC MMO is how we can continue to tell the great stories DC is known for in this new medium and look forward in particular to the challenge of perhaps one day, simultaneously bringing stories to life in both print and pixel form," said Lee. "True to their moniker, MMOs are massive undertakings and I look forward to working on the game and continuing to draw comics for many, many years to come at DC."

Lee, the artist on 2005's best-selling comic book in the U.S., "All Star Batman" and "Robin, the Boy Wonder," is one of the most recognizable and talented artists in the medium, and a true fan favorite. His recent work on the blockbuster series "Batman: Hush" and "Superman: For Tomorrow" brought critical acclaim, as well as a new look and feel to two of DC Comics' iconic characters.

Last edited:
Re: DC, Jim Lee to collaborate on DC-based MMORPG

I'd probably get this for the computer, but I've gone off games and my PC might not be able to handle it by then.

Plus, it's probably going to cost a lot.

ProjectX2 said:
I'd probably get this for the computer, but I've gone off games and my PC might not be able to handle it by then.

Plus, it's probably going to cost a lot.
I'm guessing a montly fee maybe like $12-15 or so?

Last edited:

I hate monthly subscription fees.

ProjectX2 said:
I hate monthly subscription fees.

fees suck, this is true...but a chance to be freaking batman and go kick it with the likes of aquaman and superman...that's freaking awesome

selfproclaimed said:
fees suck, this is true...but a chance to be freaking batman and go kick it with the likes of aquaman and superman...that's freaking awesome

Chinese fanboy's will log into Batman and take 6 hour shifts each, so no one will ever be able to use him. :(

Considering SOE has already destroyed Star Wars and the Matrix in MMORPGs, I'm not holding out much hope for this. I'm going to keep my eye on the Marvel one, and keep trying to figure out why City of Heroes doesn't like SLI.

I wonder what'll happen to CoH/CoV. Same company is doing the Marvel game. That's not good for the future prospects of the generic game, is it?

What I don't get is, how is this and the Marvel MMORPG going to be any different from CoH?

Think about it: both of them are just going to be you making your own hero and interacting with Marvel/DC NPCs. So the only difference between them and CoH will be the NPCs and elements. I don't see the point.

I haven't read how DC is doing it, but Marvel said all their characters (over 4,500) are playable in the first article released.

icemastertron said:
I haven't read how DC is doing it, but Marvel said all their characters (over 4,500) are playable in the first article released.
So how does that work out? Either the first jerk who gets the game will get Spider-Man, or there will be a bunch of Spider-Man lookalikes running around.

So either I get to be a Spidey clone or, knowing my luck, I end up playing as Aunt May or Demolition Man. Or what happens when more than 4500 people get the game?

Doesn't sound that great.

Doc Comic said:
So how does that work out? Either the first jerk who gets the game will get Spider-Man, or there will be a bunch of Spider-Man lookalikes running around.

So either I get to be a Spidey clone or, knowing my luck, I end up playing as Aunt May or Demolition Man. Or what happens when more than 4500 people get the game?

Doesn't sound that great.

Yep, that's what puts me off these kinds of games.

This means that Jim Lee will draw a few doodles on a cocktail napkin.

And when they say that Jim Lee is a 'passionate online gamer' they mean that he plays Backgammon over Yahoo!.

I'm surpised no new news about this has surfaced in this thread...
I think the development of this game will probably look something like this:

20001113h.jpg

Marvel said all their characters (over 4,500) are playable in the first article released.

You sure? because I keep every site I can for info and they so far the don't know if it is Actual marvel heroes you play as or if you create your own.

I hope this and the marvel game you create your own character and just meet up with Batman or spiderman ect.... as I don't want 10000 batmen around or the alternative there's one per serve so by the time game comes out here I'm left playing as some retarded character like dc = Radiation man from Superman IV or Marvel the female duck who showed her boobs on howard the duck the movie.

I admit I may not get the DC one as it is on the ps3 I think (I heard marvel = 360 , dc = ps3) And I hate ps3 but I am interested in theses games and have been hyped up for the marvel one. If it is premade characters then the game will have me more disappointed than the time I went and saw Peter Jackson's Kong (Nothing like the 1930s one which i watch on dvd in black and white sometimes)

Nope. I made the article up. :?

I meant are sure it's not been changed because everywhere is saying there's no word and most are guessing create your own like coh/cov

was not saying you made it up dude.

Last edited:

I meant are sure it's not been changed because everywhere is saying there's no word and most are guessing create your own like coh/cov

was not saying you made it up dude.
And if something had changed, and I had seen it, I would have posted. Quoting something I said a year ago and asking if I'm sure isn't just wondering if I'm sure that's how it is now. And if you've seen so, why not post yourself?

And I didn't say you were accusing me of making anything up. Read the posts correctly.

Latest posts

Back