Death of Ultimate Spider-Man (Feb. 2011)

I'm guessing Octavius gets arrested by SHIELD at the end of the Doom mini :s

let me get this straight. Someone is pitting the New Ultimates and the Ultimate Avengers against each other and each thinks the leader of the other is selling super soldiers to other countries, so they're having a battle.

In the mean time, Peter is working for the Daily Bugle again, Kitty is back, Kong is gone, Peter finally turns 16 and all of his super hero friends (Kitty, Bobby, Torch, Sue, human-Ben, as well and Gwen and MJ) are at a surprise party where (surprise!) Peter and MJ get back together. Norman isn't dead after all and he and his sinister six (minus Spidey, plus Vulture) have escaped and are now going to go after Peter again.

Is that pretty much it?

And Samson... What a waste

It's possible the reference in USM is to Leonard Samson, Sr., who was briefly mentioned as going by "Leo" in the last issues of She-Hulk (I think it was during Peter David's run, but I don't have access to my copies right now). That character was introduced as the father of the Leonard Samson who has the gamma-enhanced abilities. Some of this is explained in Jeph Loeb's Hulk #18.

The younger Samson uses the nickname "Len", if I recall correctly. So he may show up in the Ultimate Universe eventually as well.

Well
Doctor Octopus
is dead. And Spider-Man just took a bullet for Cap. I hope that wasn't it.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this takes place after Ultimate Doom then, in order to explain Doc Ock's random change of heart.

And Spider-Man just took a bullet for Cap. I hope that wasn't it.

it's a good thing Peter's ne'er-do-well dad Richard "Tom Sawyer" Parker conned him out of his kidney, or he'd be in real trouble right now.

Doc Magnetopus
is dead. I guess they decided they couldn't ruin the character any further. On to the next one!

Last edited:
Coming in July:

ULTIMATE FALLOUT #1-3 (OF 6)
Written by Brian Michael Bendis, Jonathan Hickman & Nick Spencer
Art by by MARK BAGLEY, SARA PICHELLI & MORE
Issue #1 Cover by MARK BAGLEY
Issue #2 Cover by Bryan Hitch
Issue #3 Cover by ED McGUINNESS
Issue #1-6 Variant Covers by MARKO
DJURDJEVIC
The End before The Beginning.
32 PGS./Rated T+…$3.99

ULTFALL001_COV.jpg

which is possibly an homage to ASM #87
087.jpg

Know what? I liked Octomagnetopus. I don't see what was so bad about the new interpretation of his powers (then again, I don't hold the Ultimate Clone Saga in such enormous disdain as most people here seem to).

As for the issue? Meh. Still. I thought the Villain Confrontation could have been in two SHIELD cells facing each other and without the peripheral Sandman, Kraven, and Vulture. They seem like such afterthoughts to this entire arc. The actual "death" seemed to be incredibly arbitrary and without any weight, but I'm willing to see what's done with it. This, like the Ultimatum "death", reads like Marvel is forcing Bendis to do this with the character. Say what you will about the man, but for the most part this series has read fairly organically. He had a plan for his book, there was leadup. You can tell when there isn't.

This isn't the worst USM has been, but I would like it very much if this whole sordid nonsense could just be gotten out of the way so Bendis can go back to producing a fun read every three weeks.

Know what? I liked Octomagnetopus. I don't see what was so bad about the new interpretation of his powers (then again, I don't hold the Ultimate Clone Saga in such enormous disdain as most people here seem to).

I don't mind a new interpretation I just want a good one, making him have magnetic powers just makes him a less interesting magneto clone. And they already had a great idea in Ultimate Six where Doc says his ability is a latent mutant power brought up during the explosion and that he can control the electrical impulses in machines. That's great, I love the idea that he discovered it because the coma forced him to learn how to use the arms with his powers and then develop further to use them separate from his body and could have easily grown to be even more of a threat with multiple machines. Bendis threw all that away from something less interesting and original.

Just when I was starting to think this book was pretty good...this.

It was anti-climactic, drawn-out, tiresome, and boring. By the time I got to the last page I couldn't care less that he was shot. Doc Ock's death was as idiotic as his Magneto transformation, and they managed to squeeze one last drop of SHOCK VALUE out of this line by killing him (by a re-re-re-re-resurrected Green Goblin, no less).

And "Ultimate Fallout"? Ugh. I didn't think I could roll my eyes this hard.

I will check it out for Hickman and Hitch, but you better believe I won't be paying for it.

Does this mean Hickman and Spencer will be writers in the BRAND NEW ULTIMATE UNIVERSE?

Because that's actually worth getting excited about.

Does this mean Hickman and Spencer will be writers in the BRAND NEW ULTIMATE UNIVERSE?

Because that's actually worth getting excited about.

Possible. As far as I can tell Bendis has not said anything about continuing on with Ultimate Spider-Man after Fallout. And no other Ultimate titles have been announced after Fallout too.

Latest posts

Back