Death of Ultimate Spider-Man (Feb. 2011)

I tried to count the number of exclamation marks in this issue. There are too many.

i picked up my copy of this today. Since it was polybagged I didn't read it though. I just downloaded a torrent of it and read it. As usual, i feel like it will be better when I read the whole collection together.

Peter's last words were touching, and I have to admit, I'm interested to see where Ultimate Spider-Man goes from here. I'll be picking up Ultimate Fallout for sure, and at least the first arc of New Ultimate Spider-Man (or whatever it's called). USM has consistently been my favourite comic for years. I'll give Bendis' new direction a chance.

That's it? Only 6 issues ago he was told he was going to be trained by Iron Man, Cap and Thor. I was looking forward to that!

And am I the only one bothered by the fact that Norman won in the end? It was never his intention to kill May, he wanted to kill Peter. And he did. Seriously, I am not happy with how this ended. At all.

A bad guy wins in the end. How is that not interesting at all?

This isn't watchmen and it never will be. It's a fun series about a teenager who accidentally gets super powers and has to learn to juggle the responsibility of his powers with the normal teenage drama of his daily life.

It should not end with his arch-enemy smiling because he finally killed him. I wouldn't call Ultimate Spider-man a lightharted series, but it certainly shouldn't have such a dark end. Make Peter lose his powers or hang up his cape, fine. But don't end it like this.

You don't get it do you? this is all setting up for the Ultimate Comics Ultimate Nu Direction Part...Six (? maybe, we've lost count how many times we've gone in a "new" direction actually, but seriously nothing will ever EVER be the same again! - EvARR!)

It didn't make Secret Invasion interesting.
In this case it is.

This isn't watchmen and it never will be. It's a fun series about a teenager who accidentally gets super powers and has to learn to juggle the responsibility of his powers with the normal teenage drama of his daily life.
Hell of a comparison. Watchmen isn't the only story that can have a bad guy winning. It might have been the only one you think it did it right, but that doesn't mean it's the only story that deserves to do that.

It should not end with his arch-enemy smiling because he finally killed him. I wouldn't call Ultimate Spider-man a lightharted series, but it certainly shouldn't have such a dark end. Make Peter lose his powers or hang up his cape, fine. But don't end it like this.
It's fine you think that, but I have no problem with this ending. I like it and look forward to how things go on from here.

Last edited:
Was the cover to this issue a homage to Amazing Spider-Man #100?

Now they just need to kill the rest of the ultimate universe and end this horrible nightmare.

For the first time in a long time, I disagree.

About 2-3 years ago, at the height of Ultimates 3, Ultimate Power, Ultimatum, etc, I would've agreed whole-heartedly.

But now, after the promising Ultimate Thor mini, the decent Ultimate Cap mini, Hickman's upcoming Ultimates, and this incredibly ballsy move of killing off Ult. Peter Parker...I think the Ultimate universe is FINALLY coming into its own. By that I mean we finally have a universe that doesn't just seem like a slightly altered rendition of the 616 universe...now its a Marvel universe without a Wolverine or Peter Parker as Spider-Man...no Profesor X or Magneto, mutants are outlawed, a world where New York was just about wiped off the map (of course they under-utilized the hell out of the flood Ultimatum brought).

There's a lot to now differentiate the two universes, and I think the Ultimate verse is now justifiably standing on its own two feet for the first time since the Ultimates 2 era.

There's still a ways to go, but they're heading in the right direction.

Hell, even Ultimate X is a decent read, and thats the only remaining Loeb-penned Ultimate title.

The Ultimate universe has become Marvel's way to use stories they could not implement in the regular titles. I'm fine with that, and as long as good writing prevails as Ultimate stories have dramatically improved post-Ultimatum, it can go on forever. Marvel has figured out that they can no longer use the Ultimate universe as a 'reboot' but as a regular alternate universe that is still closely tied to our own and not some weird obvious parallel universe. It's a move that I like considering the series is already 11 years old and already has some degree of continuity junk tied to it.

O_O wow
May slapped the taste out of Cap's mouth

For the first time in a long time, I disagree.

About 2-3 years ago, at the height of Ultimates 3, Ultimate Power, Ultimatum, etc, I would've agreed whole-heartedly.

But now, after the promising Ultimate Thor mini, the decent Ultimate Cap mini, Hickman's upcoming Ultimates, and this incredibly ballsy move of killing off Ult. Peter Parker...I think the Ultimate universe is FINALLY coming into its own. By that I mean we finally have a universe that doesn't just seem like a slightly altered rendition of the 616 universe...now its a Marvel universe without a Wolverine or Peter Parker as Spider-Man...no Profesor X or Magneto, mutants are outlawed, a world where New York was just about wiped off the map (of course they under-utilized the hell out of the flood Ultimatum brought).

There's a lot to now differentiate the two universes, and I think the Ultimate verse is now justifiably standing on its own two feet for the first time since the Ultimates 2 era.

There's still a ways to go, but they're heading in the right direction.

Hell, even Ultimate X is a decent read, and thats the only remaining Loeb-penned Ultimate title.

Agreed whole-heartedly.

I'm disappointed they got rid of Stark the Elder so quickly. He seemed like a Wildstorm Character, and I think the Ultimate Universe is at its best when it's close to the Authority/Sleeper/Wildcats 3.0 iteration of the Wildstorm Universe. Maybe he'll sneak back in at some point... We'll see.

But I'm incredibly excited about the new direction for the Ultimate Universe. It seems cohesive, and like it's going to be relevant.

Latest posts

Back