Dexter Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I hear season 3 was really poor. I hope not.

One of the main reasons I'm watching this is because J Michael Straczynski said the only show to capture the sense of nightmarish dread that 'the writer had gone of the wheels and anything could happen' that he had in the season finales for BABYLON 5, was DEXTER. So I'm curious to see how this all turns out.

Season 3 is by no means poor. The only reason it feels a little slower than the others is that he's only killed a few people so far and it isn't as dark.... but that's integral to the overall story. Argh. It works. Oh, and Jimmy Smits is a great addition.

Last edited:
I really can't keep reading this thread. I'm gonna end up spoiling it for myself. *disappears*

PS: I'm on episode 11 and it's 3.43am. I don't think I'm getting much sleep tonight.

Oh, meant to mention: the guy who plays Angelo Batista is ****ing brilliant. I think he's one of the strongest things in the show.

And he just got stabbed by Rudy "Ice Truck Killer". Who is also, extremely well cast.

I also have a strong love for Harry. Julie Benz is wonderf... everyone is good. But I particularly like the actors playing Batista and Harry.

Last edited:
I have to finish watching Season 2. I've only seen the first few episodes, so I think I'll watch them again to refresh my memory.

I reckon Dexter is Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory all grown up. And Dee Dee is Debra Morgan. Mandark did something so terrible to Dexter when he was a kid that it screwed with him and made him who he was... maybe he destroyed the laboratory. Mandark was such a dick.

Note: I haven't seen anything past Season 1 so this could be completely wrong. :)

I reckon Dexter is Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory all grown up. And Dee Dee is Debra Morgan. Mandark did something so terrible to Dexter when he was a kid that it screwed with him and made him who he was... maybe he destroyed the laboratory. Mandark was such a dick.

Note: I haven't seen anything past Season 1 so this could be completely wrong. :)
You solved it! :lol:

Season 3 is by no means poor. The only reason it feels a little slower than the others is that he's only killed a few people so far and it isn't as dark.... but that's integral to the overall story. Argh. It works. Oh, and Jimmy Smits is a great addition.

Jimmy Smits is fantastic. (I'm only on episode 3!)

Last edited:
So... I'm on episode 9. And I am so nail-bitingly tense that I'm pausing the show so I don't have to see something bad happen to one of my favourite characters. Maybe it's just a warning. Maybe not. I am scared... :panic:

So Dexter has shown Miguel that he's not untouchable by exposing Ellen's body. And it seems the point is to warn Miguel, not get him arrested. Good. I love Miguel. But then Miguel gives him the same speech he gave Rita.... why is it that Miguel won't be allowed to get past this season? He's going to get killed. Somehow. *sniff* I adore this character. Please don't kill him tv gods. Please.

No! Wait! You'll do something worse, won't you! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I'm so tense! I love this show.

Last edited:
I AM NOT SURPRISED!!!!

I knew Dexter was going to kill Miguel! I knew it! AND I AM SAD ABOUT THAT. I really liked Miguel. Bastard writers. Oooo! Lookit me killing off your favourite characters. Bastards. Bastards bastards bastards.

I AM NOT SURPRISED!!!!

I knew Dexter was going to kill Miguel! I knew it! AND I AM SAD ABOUT THAT. I really liked Miguel. Bastard writers. Oooo! Lookit me killing off your favourite characters. Bastards. Bastards bastards bastards.

Ending was pretty much exactly the same as season two.
New character either turns into or turns out to be, depending on what you want to believe, a villain and Dexter kills them.
I'll be seriously pissed if four goes this way as well.

Ending was pretty much exactly the same as season two.
New character either turns into or turns out to be, depending on what you want to believe, a villain and Dexter kills them.
I'll be seriously pissed if four goes this way as well.

PANDRIO!!!!! :D Good to see you again!

As for seasons 2 and 3....
the problem I have is that they're not as good as season 1 because of the sheer dread the season captured at the end where it seemed like almost anything could happen. The one thing we know can't happen is Dexter's death, but that was fine in season 1 because Dex was never under threat of death. Same for season 2. Season 3, unfortunately, falls flat in its final episode precisely because of that jeopardy. That said, it was still GOOD. And Miguel Prado was a superb addition.

I don't mind the repetition because of the progression. Each one takes a certain, internal conflict, and drives ever inward for the entire season. And since each one, on the surface, seems familiar, actually the conflict is very different and exploratory.

I usually find baby's to be a narrative death. We'll see how that turns out for season 4. I'm expecting a miscarriage.

Last edited:
I just started watching Season One with a bunch of my friends. I think it's on and off, but generally entertaining and now that the Ice Truck Killer has been revealed, it's all the more interesting. It was cool to see the guy that did the motion capturing for the Force Unleashed, Jacob from Lost, and Bram (from Lost) as well. I digress, though. The show is remarkably funny for the subject matter (which I think is the point) and definitely chilling.

Also, does anyone else see a watered down Dane Cook in the guy who plays Dex?

I don't really know Dane Cook, but I love everything in this show (except Lila). Anyhow - season 1's finale is a masterstroke. So there. DEXTER has such good season finales.

So I finished the first season. The last show, the finale, did deliver for sure. I knew something was going to happen to the effect that the Ice Truck Killer was the son of one of the other three victims besides Dex's mom, but I never guessed they were brothers. That was a pretty cool twist, I thought.

I started reading the book, too. You guys knew that this was based off of a series of books, right? Written so well, too.

Also, one gripe that I have of the show is Dex's sister, Deb. I don't like to be yelled at and she yells her lines and is just *****y about the most melodramatic stuff, you know? Not fitting for the show. In the book, she's the same way. I really wish she would've died to be honest.

I started watching this show a couple weeks ago. My cable company had the first season for free OnDemand, so I figured I'd check it out. Very good stuff. Can't really add anything to the conversation in that sense, but I will say I was a bit disappointed with the revelation of the Ice Truck Killer's identity in Season 1, only because it was so damn obvious. The prosthetics guy is the same one carving up people and leaving their body parts around Miami...duh! Kind of obvious.

Still, the characters are extremely interesting, and Hall's acting is superb. Its also a bit disconcerting that when people watch the show, the serial killer character of Dexter can be very relatable. Which is exactly why I love it. I'm now about halfway through Season 2 (been renting them from Blockbuster).

Latest posts

Back