Digital comics

I seem to be the only one who cares about this issue, but regardless...this gem appeared in Bleeding Cool today:

99cWatch: If Apple are to start releasing TV episodes for 99 cents, how long will the comics industry be able to sell digital comic books for $2.99 or $3.99? Could this even kill off the comic book $1.99 price point? For older comics, will it be 99c uber alles?

99cWatch2: Did you know the Pocket God comic book has sold three million copies at 99 cents each on the iPhone and iPad? Making it the best selling digital comic book in the world? Food for thought.

DURRRRRRRR

Also, Image has released their own iPhone/iPad app. There are a ton of free comics right now too, so grab them while you can.

DC/Comixology has the entire 79-part Blackest Night saga for $.99 per issue.

I have the Blackest Night hardcover but bought the 8 issue main series to support my argument for $.99 digital comics. :)

It looks like DC and Marvel both are doing 99 cent specials each week (Sunday/Monday?). Yesterday Marvel had Captain America 1-6 (Brubaker) and New Avengers 1-6 for 99 cents per issue.

A nice round up of all the digital options.

So pretty much they all suck.

I know all this has been said and suggested before.

What I want is a 10 to 15 dollar a month subscription. All publishers and indies there. A good viewer. Well organized. If this existed I would gladly purchase the Absolute/deluxe/oversized hardcover editions of books that I liked for my bookshelves at home. When htmlcomics was up I actually did this, and the viewer was junk.

How do the big publishers not see that they are screwing themselves over royally? It is so frustrating to me.

At the very least Marvel and DC should have their own sites. They could sell gift cards, just like iTunes cards, for their online store everywhere. Walmart, Target, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Hastings, etc. That would only increase their sales, because when the next comic movie comes out people would probably buy the card just to check out a few issues, find out comics are an amazing art form and be hooked for life. Most importantly they could sell them at LCS and I would actually spend money in there, instead of feeling guilty for not supporting a local business I love.

Also, as much as I love my LCS I don't think it's the publishers responsibility to make sure that the stores stay in business. There job is to tell great stories and make money. Hopefully, in that order. If that means no more LCS I will be sad, but I will be more sad if there is No More Spider-man.

I would read so many more comics and spend more money, which can only be a good thing for the comic industry.

What I want is a 10 to 15 dollar a month subscription. All publishers and indies there. A good viewer. Well organized. If this existed I would gladly purchase the Absolute/deluxe/oversized hardcover editions of books that I liked for my bookshelves at home. When htmlcomics was up I actually did this, and the viewer was junk.

I completely agree, I want a service just like this. I think it should be set up like this. All issues are streamed a few at a time, not downloaded for the monthly service. Think of nexflix queue This could cut back on illegal copies. You still have to option to pay to have a permanent downloaded copy, things so you can read it without internet access. This would probably be more for trades and collections. Basic subscription would allow all comics 6 months and older for viewing, Deluxe would include new releases. Also digital new releases would be delay a week after the print to promote purchases at a LCS. You can even add a banner ad for extra revenue.

If there was a system like this I would jump on it and even get an ipad just for it. Hell they could make their own version of an ipad make specifically for comic viewing and make money off of that.

Last edited:
No comic creator would go for a $10-15 per month all-you-can-eat subscription model.

Comixology has a good thing going. Comics can be viewed on iOS devices as well as on their website. Not sure if there is an Android app.

No comic creator would go for a $10-15 per month all-you-can-eat subscription model.

Comixology has a good thing going. Comics can be viewed on iOS devices as well as on their website. Not sure if there is an Android app.

Yeah you'd probably would have to charge more, I think if you had the banners ad that could go directly to the creators

NEXTWAVE is now available - the Marvel app has the first issue for free.

Comixology teams with LCS retailers

Retailers will now have the opportunity to tap into comiXology's digital marketplace with a simple integration into their existing site. Now they can offer their loyal customers access to comiXology's library of digital comics and an integrated reader from participating publishers. All purchases will be compatible with the Comics by comiXology platform allowing fans the ability to enjoy their comics on their mobile devices and on the Web at their retailer's websites by way of cross-platform synchronization.

This is better than letting them sell gift cards like I suggested. It gives them a way to promote their sites to their customers. Hopefully it lets them offer discounts of some kind, similar to how LCSs usually discount new issues.

FYI - ComXology (the iOS app, not sure about the site but I assume yes) is having a Superman 101 sale - 101 essential and noteworthy Superman comics for 99 cents. It includes All-Star Superman, Last Son, Red Son, Man of Steel, Birthright, Kingdom Come, and a bunch more.

FYI The Marvel iOS app has Ultimates 2 on sale for 99 cents/issue today only...

Right now the ComXology and Marvel apps have the entire Earth X story for $.99 an issue.

Marvel just updated their iOS app - it's more like the Comxology app now. Much easier to navigate and use, although I wish they could show your purchase history in list form instead of individual issues sorted into two columns - it's impossible to scroll through.

Also they are having a 99 cent sale on some of the top issues of 2011 including a bunch of #1s - Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate Captain America, Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, Fear Itself, Captain America, Thor, etc.

Comixology has a big Joker sale going on for April Fool's Day. I just got the rest of Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin and all of The Dark Knight Returns for $0.99/issue.

Latest posts

Back