Doctor Who

I don't know why they would reveal what The Silence looks like a week before we presumably see it in the show.

Um... it was in the very first trailers for the show. I'd understand this would be foolish if we weren't supposed to know what they looked like or who the big bad was, but we've known that the Silence were going to be in it, and it wasn't a question of the Silence disguised as other beings and therefore "what are they?". I assume that the opening teaser of the premier will show the Silence, and I don't think the episode will pretend it's a mystery who they are. Rather the big thing is what they want.

However, if the first episode builds to the revelation that the alien things in the White House are... DUN DUN DUH! The Silence! I too will be astonished that they revealed them like this. But I assume the episode is just going to open with them.

47 years of Doctor Who in 6 minutes:

[video=youtube;szHO-wEmvio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szHO-wEmvio[/video]

Last edited:
:shock:

So... I have no ****ing clue what they're doing.

Two things irk me: One, Houde was right about them spoiling the Silence. Even in the credits they call them that but why? No one in the episode knows who they are. It's very annoying. Two, I think the episode tries to do too much. It needed to be more like THE ELEVENTH HOUR or a special - it should've been one long episode that began the series and then this story could've been episodes #3 and #4. I don't know. I think it's put too much in there. But, maybe not. Maybe the next episode will make it work. Maybe the second time I see it it will feel less rushed.

Nonetheless, I really enjoyed it. It was very funny when it was meant to be, very scary when it was meant to be, and very dramatic when it was meant to be. I certainly didn't see anything of what happened coming, and so I'm very, very happy. I can't wait for episode two. :)

(A quick thing about spoiler etiquette for everyone: once the episode has aired, you don't need to put it in spoilers in this thread, but if you're discussing anything about upcoming episodes that isn't just speculation, it should be in spoiler tags. I have no idea what any of the episodes are about and I like it that way.)

I agree that the girl in the suit isn't there in 2011.

But, Steven Moffat said in the Confidential for the episode that it really is the Doctor and he really is dead. I think that the Doctor is in the spacesuit in 2011, and quite possibly he put the boat there and them burning him and sending him into the lake is involved and the reason he kills himself is to actually bring himself to life. Something like that. He'll die, but he'll come back to life after it. It's kinda splitting hairs, but I don't think it's fake. Simply because the dialogue in the show and Moffat try to explicitly state that it's not a fake, that it really is him. And I think Moffat has killed him for realz with the knowledge he knows where it's going. It's possible we won't know all the answers to this in episode two. It could be the season finale in the autumn. My head is reeling. I can't wait to see where it's going. The last time I was convinced I knew what was happening was THE PANDORICA OPENS and I was certain the Doctor was the evil being inside the Pandorica, and I was completely surprised when it turned out to be a prison. I'm pretty certain Moffat's at least one step ahead of everyone this time too.

The Doctor randomly showing up in the movie was the best part.

Well that was fantastic. A lot to process! A bit too much perhaps. I was re-watching "The Big Bang" the other night and wondering what it would be like if Moffat tried to keep up that ridiculously fast, complicated pacing and lo and behold!

Some observations:
1. I am almost certain that Bass is right and the Doctor may be "dead" for the moment but this is all apart of some plan and he will be brought back, or "TIME WILL BE REWRITTEN" again or something. I am also almost certain that the astronaut was either the Doctor himself or of course good-man-killing River. And we won't have any of this figured out for months.
2. The Silents are ****ing terrifying. They are also clearly the Slender Man. The whole forgetting angle is brilliant too, and the idea that they've been here for a long time in secret and no one remembers is just so incredibly :shock:
3. This is the best looking show on television.
4. Why isn't it next saturday yet?

The second episode is tomorrow, you guys!

Throughout the whole first 10 minutes or so, I just kept thinking, "What the hell is going on?!", but loving it. I'm glad the show's back!

Well that was fantastic. A lot to process! A bit too much perhaps. I was re-watching "The Big Bang" the other night and wondering what it would be like if Moffat tried to keep up that ridiculously fast, complicated pacing and lo and behold!

I think it slow back down for the closed episodes. I think it's at this pace because it's episode 1 and I think it suffers a bit.

Some observations:
1. I am almost certain that Bass is right and the Doctor may be "dead" for the moment but this is all apart of some plan and he will be brought back, or "TIME WILL BE REWRITTEN" again or something. I am also almost certain that the astronaut was either the Doctor himself or of course good-man-killing River. And we won't have any of this figured out for months.

I am pretty convinced it isn't River. Because if it was River she'd already know. Her reaction to when the Doctor is shot mid-regeneration is way too spontaneous for her not to know. Even if Kingston didn't know when she played the part, Moffat, who sees the rushes, would've told them to dial it down. He had them reshoot the opening of THE BIG BANG because Karen Gillan said, "This is where it gets really complicated" and he had them redo it because he didn't want her to say "really". I dunno. River doesn't seem right to me (based on what we know). Doctor, Amy, Rory, Amy and Rory's child, Canton 3 all seem plausible too. It's possible we haven't even seen the person who'll be in the suit yet. Indeed, the little girl in the suit could be Rory and Amy's child. As for River killing a 'good man' - I wonder if it's the Doctor. It's possible she killed someone else.

2. The Silents are ****ing terrifying. They are also clearly the Slender Man. The whole forgetting angle is brilliant too, and the idea that they've been here for a long time in secret and no one remembers is just so incredibly :shock:

I didn't expect the lighting-explosion thing. That was pretty fricking worrisome. What I don't get though, is why they live in sewers but dress smart. Also! Did everyone notice that the machine River and Rory found in the tunnels is exactly the same as the machine above Craig's bungalow in THE LODGER? And it seems the Silence want to eradicate existence, which probably ties into the fact that they themselves kinda don't exist. Their Pandorica plan was to make nothing to have existed ever, the cracks in space made people forget, they want Amy to tell the Doctor his future which may rip open the fabric of space and time... weird guys.

The second episode is tomorrow, you guys!

No it isn't.

No it isn't.

Wait... wasn't it supposed to be? I remember reading about the two parts airing over Easter weekend. My TV calendar site even lists it for Sunday.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back