Dragonball Evolution

Re: Dragonball Z live action !

you didnt say that in response to langsta's post, which means he obviously did see it

That's his problem as it's the post directly above his one.

Wong Takes on Dragon Ball Z
Source: CHUD
October 2, 2007

CHUD has learned from a casting notice that James Wong ("Final Destination" films, The One, "The X-Files") is writing and directing the live action Dragon Ball Z movie for 20th Century Fox. The site has included the casting breakdown, which you can read here.

Dragon Ball Z is adapted from the manga created by Akira Toriyama; the work was also turned into a Japanese anime series that played all over the world. It tells the story of an alien sent to destroy Earth, who has a change of heart and decides to join the humans in their fight against various aliens and bad guys.

Here's cast break down :

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12002

Weird it mentions all dragon ball people but then adds Gohan from Dragonball z but does NOT mention Vegeta!(my favourite) Who if it is following the manga/show should be the first main villan (The other saiyans too but Vegeta would be last so he = main)

Still cool that they are 100% moving forward with the script. I guesstimate that the first film may just be Dragon ball's end to explain Piccolo was a villain and they are adding gohan early so we care more next film when he is kidnapped and Goku and Piccolo actually work together.

Anyway it goes still cool

I believe that was a brilliant chinese rip off
It's not a rip-off, unfortunately.

The Dragon Ball animanga franchise we all know is loosely based on a 16th century Chinese novel called "Journey to the West" (also known in English translations as "Monkey" or "Adventures of the Monkey God")

Because of the semi-public domain nature of the story, it's pretty much free to be adapted by anyone into anything. This is how Blur's Damon Albarn and Tank Girl's Jamie Hewlett are getting away with their stage production, Monkey: Journey To The West.

So technically, speaking that Chinese schlock drivel is at best, its own thing, and at worst, a really lame attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Dragon Ball.

Last edited:

The Dragon Ball animanga franchise we all know is loosely based on a 16th century Chinese novel called "Journey to the West" (also known in English translations as "Monkey" or "Adventures of the Monkey God")

Because of the semi-public domain nature of the story, it's pretty much free to be adapted by anyone into anything. This is how Blur's Damon Albarn and Tank Girl's Jamie Hewlett are getting away with their stage production, Monkey: Journey To The West.

So technically, speaking that Chinese schlock drivel is at best, its own thing, and at worst, a really lame attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Dragon Ball.

Actually it kind of is a rip off. Sure it has the Journey to the West parts which is cool , I personally love that tale in every form I've seen or read. BUT it adds more dragon ball only parts too like "Dragon pearls" as the film calls them which are just "dragon balls" with "balls" changed to "pearls" and more things too.

It's like star wars is based on classic mythology and other things. Now you can do a film based on Mythology and that's fine , HOWEVER add space , droids , lightsabers ect..... and it's a star wars rip off.

Hopefully i made sense.

Ooohhh... I need to see that.

Actually it kind of is a rip off. Sure it has the Journey to the West parts which is cool , I personally love that tale in every form I've seen or read. BUT it adds more dragon ball only parts too like "Dragon pearls" as the film calls them which are just "dragon balls" with "balls" changed to "pearls" and more things too.

It's like star wars is based on classic mythology and other things. Now you can do a film based on Mythology and that's fine , HOWEVER add space , droids , lightsabers ect..... and it's a star wars rip off.

Hopefully i made sense.

Kurosawa films mainly.

Hopefully i made sense.
I see what you're getting at, but the comparison doesn't work.

I'm not totally defending it, though. As I said, at worst, it's an attempt to capitalize on something else... but that doesn't make it a 'rip off' because it's still patterning itself over one particular story that is open to adaptation.

As for your analogy:

For someone to do a film based on mythology and add space, droids and sabers the way you do would CLEARLY be a rip off of Star Wars because the saga doesn't really pattern itself over a SPECIFIC myth, but "general mythology structure" Star Wars isn't trying to be Beowulf with lightsabers or the Aeneid with Force powers, but rather it's a sabers and spaceships iteration of all those tropes.

This film isn't the same kind of rip off you're talking about because it's taking a SPECIFIC story and then patterning itself over that. 70% of the elements of Dragon Ball that it copies belong to a specific myth that is open to adaptation.

Granted, it is EXPLOITING the popularity of Dragon Ball by clearly modifying itself to skew closer to it, in an attempt to capture that popularity, but there's still not enough of a case to call it a total rip off. At least, not according to U.S. intellectual property laws (which have influenced a good number of Japanese intellectual property laws).

Think about all the cheap bargain bin books and home videos and low-cost animated TV movies you've seen based on fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. Have you noticed how there's a good number of them that skew dangerously close to looking like Disney incarnations?

I think we can presume that because Disney has popularized those public domain ideas (i.e. Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty) in a certain way in a certain form, these filmmakers and publishers are trying to capitalize on that by skewing their versions close to Disney, but not enough to sue them.

Ah ok Fair ennough , you make a good point Ourchair

There's no way this movie will ever happen. I'll bet my life

There's no way this movie will ever happen. I'll bet my life

Why must you try and hurt me so.

They are officially filming in November

I wonder how much CGI they'll use. Probably the whole thing will be CGI. That's the only way I could see this working.

I wonder how much CGI they'll use. Probably the whole thing will be CGI. That's the only way I could see this working.

I think it'll be a mixture. Only fights need cgi e.g matrix style neo vs agent smith in last film type effects and pryo vs iceman beam struggle effect.

besides that and a few well done fighting moves that may need cgi it'l be cool live action.

If they did it entirely with LOLCATS it could work.

lolcatsdotcomiel0o61wk5n8oybw.jpg

A power level of 5000?!

*explodes*

damn it! if the number had been 50,000 i could of made a "it's over 9000!" joke

There literally no way this film could work. Are they going to stay faithfull to the show? Because if that's the case someone has to realize it's going to look plain silly. Or are they going reinterpret the mythos and make certain changes while adapting this to film? Because then fanboys=mad.

Can anyone honestly see goku looking cool in a live action movie with him still looking like goku.

IT's going to end up like
streetfighter.jpg

I'm confident a studio exec or somebody will have enough common sense to pull the plug

Last edited:

There literally no way this film could work. Are they going to stay faithfull to the show? Because if that's the case someone has to realize it's going to look plain silly. Or are they going reinterpret the mythos and make certain changes while adapting this to film? Because then fanboys=mad.

Can anyone honestly see goku looking cool in a live action movie with him still looking like goku.

IT's going to end up like
streetfighter.jpg

I'm confident a studio exec or somebody will have enough common sense to pull the plug

You could say the same about Superman , batman , spider-man the x-men and more but the films worked and we loved them

You do realize there's a huge number of fanboys like mole willing to throw away their money at something even if its **** right? They don't care about looking stupid, at the end of the day its all about benjamin's

Latest posts

Back